911 run in.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We can only assume that both cars are standard, but does it matter. Stock, no stock - everything goes on the street and a win is always a win.

Its awesome Alex when you torture the big boys, or even the run of the mill stuff.

I had a M4 have a go....bless him, when i pulled over before he could say anything i said "hey your cars fairly quick is that the new 330 Diesel" he said i think i best go to the dealer and hand this back......told him mine was stock :thumb:

Hope you enjoyed the drive, that's the main thing.

I would say, though, that 'keeping up' is very deceptive. I bet a Golf GTi could also keep up on the street - it all depends on how/when one car is slowing as the other is accelerating etc

Also, I find these type of encounters entirely depend on who is willing to take the bigger risk; accident, licence etc. I had a Mini Cooper S annihilate me in my 330i coupe but he was doing 60-70 in London streets.

I would say, though, that 'keeping up' is very deceptive.

Keeping up is generally easy.

What gets me is when the car keeping up doesn't realise that advantage either breaks the limits or uses its greater performance to get past and then slows down as it's lost that benefit. Doh!

Used to get that with motorcycles too. Biker behind finds it easy to keep up with biker ahead and then thinks he can go faster .... didn't factor into account he was using the biker ahead to read the road.

As regards 911s - there's a wide range of drivers. I'm not entirely convinced that the manual (real manual with a clutch pedal) non-turbo versions are that fast in the hands of an average driver - as compared with a lazier automatic V8 or performance diesel and an auto-box. Mid range oomph isn't broadcast about in the same way that 0-60 numbers are bandied about - but makes a heck of a difference in deskilling the availability of casual (and legal) performance on real roads within legal limits.

Cornering performance is often constrained by confidence and comfort. My observation is that most really high performance cars I see driven on roads I know are cornered nowhere near their real limits - most drivers use the dynamic capabilities to get the power down earlier as opposed braking later and harder and carrying through more speed. So somebody thinking they are 'pushing' even in something like a 911 is likely as not nowhere near its actual capabilities - and is really getting just a % more speed through the corners and feeling good as they get the power down on the way out. Shifting manually might feel good but with a traditional clutch and not working that hard you lose on each shift.

That leaves them open to apparently flattering something like an E350 that is actually pushed a bit harder and carrying a bit more speed into and through bends and decent mid-range oomph with no loss of power through the gear shifts.

To my mind all this is speculation on the public highway. Come to a trackday and see if you can keep up when the other guy is definitely trying. Another thing that you will discover is that it is much easier to follow than to lead. My lines tend to go to pot the moment someone gets behind me. No matter how much you tell yourself to ignore the car behind and concentrate on what you are doing, it is not so easy to do.

Gratuitous picture of me a couple of weeks ago...

ddbe971bfed094a0982af336e4fe7e5e_zpscbbd5ecc.jpg

Last edited:
On a short track I've seen a MX5 lap with a similar time to a 996 911 C2. The MX5 was quite a bit faster than the ML63. Driver talent makes quite a difference on track, balls more so on public roads. I poses little of both.

To my mind all this is speculation on the public highway. Come to a trackday and see if you can keep up when the other guy is definitely trying. Another thing that you will discover is that it is much easier to follow than to lead. My lines tend to go to pot the moment someone gets behind me. No matter how much you tell yourself to ignore the car behind and concentrate on what you are doing, it is not so easy to do.

Think we are missing the point the original post was most likely on a motorway slip road etc and an E55 showed a 911 that it wasn't as subdued as a E55 looks

No one mentioned trackdays or driving skill.....just sheer power in a straight line on a dry road, like most of us average drivers encounter.

Most of my annihilating of 911s has been in a similar situation.
Never done a track day, nor am I planning in my 4 door saloon family everyday driver. But will be attending VMax200 to see what it is capable of....again in a straight line.

Gratuitous picture of me a couple of weeks ago...

ddbe971bfed094a0982af336e4fe7e5e_zpscbbd5ecc.jpg

Missed the apex!:thumb:

Tony.

On tracks a way different thing , heres my 28 yr old 911 and RickyS banging round Goodwood...
[YOUTUBE]e4DqejDGGI0[/YOUTUBE]

Managed to get behind a 13 or 63 plate white 911 today on a nice long empty dual carriageway in the country.

Not sure which model but I had no problems keeping up all the way to 70mph exactly, honest guv, 3 times in a row for about a minute at a time.

A good stretch of those AMG legs simply reconfirms that it was money well spent - fit for purpose and all that...:cool:.

Think we are missing the point the original post was most likely on a motorway slip road etc and an E55 showed a 911 that it wasn't as subdued as a E55 looks

No one mentioned trackdays or driving skill.....just sheer power in a straight line on a dry road, like most of us average drivers encounter.

Most of my annihilating of 911s has been in a similar situation.
Never done a track day, nor am I planning in my 4 door saloon family everyday driver. But will be attending VMax200 to see what it is capable of....again in a straight line.

Totally agree. For the circuit you want anything but weight. Full weight, luxurious AMGs shine in straight line performance.

Well, the C55 Tudu modified with larger brakes and coil overs was reckoned by my instructor on track driving to be so well set up only a 911 Gt3 would see it off on track.

I once recall racing a Ferrari F40 from traffic light to light in London in my Bentley Turbo R. It must be said it was night and both of us were being rather naughty but with the massive low down torque of that V8 the F40 really was behind until about 30mph at which point it would get a nose ahead up to about 50.

It's fun, but nowadays I prefer light and revvy.

[YOUTUBE]fkLATjo6Oyo[/YOUTUBE]

One of my friends has a 911 turbo s. Astonishingly fast car either in a straight line or round a corner.

-t

developer said:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkLATjo6Oyo">YouTube Link</a>
that's how it's done!!:D

This was three very long (2 miles each) stretches of dual carriageway A road which were long and straight on a clear day with good visibility, officer, and were each divided by a roundabout which could not be driven over but subject to no cars coming from the right exit which could be seen easily well in advance - could be driven nearly straight over (straight over but straight over the curve with the roundabout being the apex).

So the first stretch the Porker and I were held up by a car in front - which moved out the way we were off and I nearly went into the back of it at first. Then neck and neck but easily so for me.

Much the same after the next roundabout and second stretch.

Third roundabout a slowed a little more - the handling is a little soft when compared to the Porker but the Merc still grips well albeit felt a bit choppy at the 480 newtrons I was doing - the Porker had the advantage out the other side but still neck and neck after 300 > 500 yds.

Given mine was last measured at 580 > 600 my guess is it wasn't a turbo as, as said, the Porker has quite a weight advantage.

Like you Charles, fast and light might be the next direction for me again once the budget allows!

I miss those days.

Perhaps not quite as close as you thought then?? ;-)

Lol. :D

I would answer with the following:

Firstly, "only a fool breaks the two second rule" said Alastair Stewart before he embedded himself into a hedge whilst pi55ed once upon a time. I made sure I was far enough back - the brakes on the Merc will be nothing like as good as those on the Porker - not to mention the huge weight advantage in their favour.

Secondly, I was looking far ahead of the Porker to ensure I didn't end up crashing into anything or "General Lee-ing" over a roundabout. See brake bit from 'firstly' section.

If you've got time to study the number plate of the car in front at anything more than a quick glance whilst travelling at 70mph plus so many megaflops above, you may not live to tell the tale!

Plus it took a while to get over the excitement endured by all. :D

The number of things I kill that think they are fast - makes a change to have a genuine challenge for once.

Last edited:
Managed to get behind a 13 or 63 plate white 911 today on a nice long empty dual carriageway in the country.

Not sure which model but I had no problems keeping up all the way to 70mph exactly, honest guv, 3 times in a row for about a minute at a time.

It turned off in the end but I am suitably impressed with what the old girl can manage - even round a 'straight over' dual carriageway roundabout.

Funny enough, I happened to bump into a 911 driver who was telling me how he had been having a nice, pleasurable drive out to show off his new car to his mum.
He was very pleased at the acceleration even though he had only used half-throttle. He was especially pleased because this was only his second car and was surprised that the insurance wasn't more because he had only been driving for eighteen months :D:devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom