A new toy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
Apologies to those who may have already seen this on the Owners Forum.

Instead of the four legs of the hoist supporting the chassis they now lift a ramp of sorts and the car is a direct drive-on…drive-off.
The added bonus is when the car’s left for any length of time the weight is still borne by the wheels rather than have the subframes and their mountings hanging in space.
Downside is there’s not quite the same headroom below the car as before but it’s still sufficient for parking A N Other. Also gave me a chance to play with the new welder.

First fitting.

Detachable front ramps

Underside view of bracing.

First coat of JCB yellow. The two spigots engage into the holes in the hoist arms where the rubber feet usually live. No chance of them moving. Heavy section 20mm x 60mm is to bolt the crossmembers to. Drilled and tapped M12. That took me a day to do .

2nd side…

And finished awaiting paint drying……………..

Trial run. It fits!!!

Actually better positioned than before because the hoist feet now lifts the wheels from their centre footprint rather than somewhere under the chassis and the car is so much more stable.

The complete kit and caboodle will still dismantle in about a 1/2hour if I need the hoist in its pure form for brakes or to change wheels etc but this is a revelation to how it was before.

Jump in and drive off.

After I’ve moved A N Other….of course. :D

Last edited:
Hi Druk,

Is fabrication your profession or is this just a hobby, excellent work by the way.

Looks the business.

Regards,

[FONT=&quot]Dash1[/FONT]

That's superb, Druk. :thumb:

What is the floor-to-ceiling height in your garage? Surely higher than average?

That is one way to make sure the car doesn't get nicked………the one ON the ramp that is.

Excellent execution of a superb idea.

Is fabrication your profession or is this just a hobby, excellent work by the way.

Thanks :D. Just a hobby really although I've been making things for years now. Ferranti originally taught me back in the 60's but I left that line of work after a couple of years.

Paul...garage is 9ft 8ins high inside. You wouldn't think it would all go in looking at it from the street. :dk: The one on the left is for the Tesco shopping trolley...and where all the welding is done :D.

Last edited:
Still impressed but a quick question, does the weight of the additional steel compromise the SWL. of the lift?

Good question.

Steelwork comes in at an extra 200kg give or take...Car weighs approx. 1500kg.

Hoist rated at 4 tonnes. No problemo :bannana:

Thanks. Nice welding. My own MIG skills aren't bad but ARC welding with a stick set resembles something deposited at the base of Nelsons Column by the pigeons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom