A tale of 2 MAFs

Discussion in 'Engine' started by topdown, Nov 1, 2011.

1. topdown

topdown Active Member

Car:
    E500
    1. CLK 320

A couple of days after a service the engine response was jerky and sometimes there was no response when you accelerated , especially after Engine breaking. Checking a few posts it pointed to the MAF. Checking I found that the air cleaner assy was not sitting snuggly on the MAF housing it is a very neat fit so after seating properly it has been OK.

2, ML 270 cdi

Over a period of time I noticed a lot of black smoke when accelerating, this however disappeared but revs limited to 3000 and no kickdown but no warning light . This 3000 rpm limit was coupled with a less than smooth engine. It was intermittent and would disappear for days. Eventually it came back and was there most days.

Again a search on here pointed to the MAF and of course to get the codes read. I disconnected the MAF and found that it made no difference - same 3000 limit and no kickdown. In a period where the engine was OK I disconnected the MAF and got the fault back. A quick inspection showed the MAF to be clean. However a clean with electrical cleaner to make sure and on the next drive everything was OK. Next day the fault came back. Getting the codes read was £80+ Vat so....

Off to the dealer for anew MAF £49 +vat and after fitting the engine is smooth Revs to the limt, kicks down and seems a lot quicker than I remember

Thanks again to all posters.

2 people like this.
  2. Alex Crow

Alex Crow Active Member

Car:
    S210 320cdi
    Not always, some of us will perform a quick test (reading fault codes) FOC.

1 person likes this.
  3. Clivefa

Clivefa Active Member

Car:
    C220 Cdi AMG Kawasaki ZX10R
    Now that is very useful to know. Many thanks.

Tags: