A140 starting problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derek matheson

I have a 2003 A140 A class with an ongoing starting problem.

The problem happens when the engine is hot after a run. When I attempt to start the engine sometimes the starter coughs and does not turn the engine. When I retry everything is OK and the engine starts fine. This has happened a number of times.

The car is under extended warranty from Mercedes. I have been back to the local dealer who cannot find a problem. He has tested the battery and connections, etc and everything is tests OK.

I have heard alarming stories about high cost of changing the starter motor in the A class. I would like this option to be looked at by the dealer but cannot push the point if he cannot find anything wrong. The concern is that the warranty will expire then the starter may finally pack in and need replaced at high cost.

Anyone suggest what this could be and advice on the course of action with the problem

And the bad news is that it sounds like the starter solenoid is sticking when hot..Ouch.

I would agree with Dieselman. Starter motor has died/failing. Not an easy job and quite expensive to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom