A5 v cls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sounds good to me! :D

To be fair, the S211 has been a great car, I've really enjoyed it, but the lure of the CLS is just soooo strong... :)

the 1st gen mirrors are better then the clunky facelift ones

If there is a complaint I have of the facelift CLS, it is with the door mirrors. Not the way they look ('cos I think they are fine) not the function (as they do the job of seeing behind very well and have very low wind noise) but, because I like to sit low in the car, they can sometimes block my view of a tight corner apex!:eek:
That will not be a problem for Barry!;)
Drove a Zafira the other day and the A pillar vision blockage is terrible, can't believe it is legal:crazy:

In the New Year. I don't want to choose a car without SWMBO at least seeing it before hand and as she's in Russia until November and then we go for our Russian Christmas and New Year break, the first time I can seriously look for one is mid January!! :eek: But, a great thing to look forward to! :)

In the New Year. I don't want to choose a car without SWMBO at least seeing it before hand and as she's in Russia until November and then we go for our Russian Christmas and New Year break, the first time I can seriously look for one is mid January!! :eek: But, a great thing to look forward to! :)

Just a tip, don't compromise on interior trim levels.:thumb:

I won't! I've got the exact spec I'm looking for and will just search until I find the right car! Exciting! :)

A5 getting a tough shoeing in parts!

Although mine is a coupe, and a S (oh yeah!) not an A, I can compare fairly well, having used my fathers CLS500 regularly (albeit in Spain).

As I havent driven the sportback, or sat in it's rear seats, I will comment on the things that will be the same.

i) the systems in the Audi are much much better. Sat Nav, Stereo (with B&O), Air Con and heated seats etc. All have more functionality and are nicely integrated. They are also far more attractively packaged IMHO.

ii) Peddles oddly aligned in the *5's (manual only though).

III) Great seats.

IV) Better interior all round build wise...no rattles at all out of my 40k mile S5.

V) Less ubiquitous?

Maybe go drive an S4?

Nice thread, lots of info.

I'm trying to work out exact spec and colour of a CLS that would suit me.

Think I have the spec worked out ok, 320 facelift/350cdi black leather and factory parking sensors, that grey/black or very dark wood colour looking dash, plus low mileage.

All the above said, am still unsure about colour, black shows marks and dirt too much so prob not for me unless I find one very very cheap.

Silver looks great, marks and dirt friendly, but so many cars are now silver.

Silver and black are prob about 90% of CLS, so that leaves little choice between the cars avail, the grey or the met red ones looks nice enough.

I wonder if buying a non silver or black car will hold a better value when selling in 5/6 years ??? any views ???

I feel silver is the best colour, but so many Mercs/CLS are silver, was hoping I could/would be inspired to get one of the other colours, any views much welcome ???

Cheers all....

Funnily enough, I saw a nice dark red CLS the other day and it got me thinking about alternative colours to the black or iridium grey I was thinking about...

Still think it looks great in black with tan interior though... :)

CLS is a great car, I'd have it over any Audi or BMW, Audis do not do anything for me, boring boring cars, no offence I'm sure they are good in their own way and there will be people saying they are built better than mercs or whatever as far as I am concerned I might as well buy a VW which drives exactly the same as an Audi and it is cheaper and probably cheaper to run as well...

Maybe I'd go for a 55 or a 63 CLS in the future but not sure as they are big cars and I don't know if I need a car that big but the looks of the CLS makes me want one so bad, such a cool car, especially with the AMG kit

Simon Abbott Limited : MERCEDES BENZ CLS 320 CDI AUTO AMG BODYSTYLING + 19"AMG ALLOYS

Just buy a CLS320 CDi^^ and brabus it, sorted!:thumb::D

There are few cars with the road presence of a CLS, whereas most Audi's are just bland (IMO).

If I didn't need an S211 I'd be buying a CLS in an instant.:)

That was exactly my view until I realised I no longer need the estate! :)

In the perfect world, I'd keep my S211 and add a CLS, but sadly, that's not viable.

The new CLS is presumably based on the W212 underpinnings +electronic systems? They do make a 204 bhp 4 cylinder diesel version but that would be a [ noisy?] mistake in a car like this.:ban: The best engine for today's motoring would be the 265hp 620Nm torque V6 diesel. :) However according to several reviews I have read its ESSENTIAL to specify the AirMATIC Dual Control air suspension option at about £1500 [ despite the long term reservations on possible repair costs] if you want the true Mercedes "waft factor" ride quality!:thumb:

The new CLS is presumably based on the W212 underpinnings +electronic systems? They do make a 204 bhp 4 cylinder diesel version but that would be a [ noisy?] mistake in a car like this.:ban: The best engine for today's motoring would be the 265hp 620Nm torque V6 diesel. :) However according to several reviews I have read its ESSENTIAL to specify the AirMATIC Dual Control air suspension option at about £1500 [ despite the long term reservations on possible repair costs] if you want the true Mercedes "waft factor" ride quality!:thumb:
grober, tks.

But from memory doing research on the net, thought I read avoid Air Suspension and Run Flat tyres, Air for long term maint/costs and tyres for ride quality ?

A big problem with Internet Research is getting an even/balanced view of items, I guess human nature could be to bleet more about bad items and less about good items, prob not the case on a site like this one, lots of very well informed people and very happy to share good and bad points.

A slight drift, but in the past when doing Internet Research on Peugeot 406 HDI's, many posts about clutch release bearing probs, yes, a few did have probs, but this engine/clutch/gearbox is used in hugh numbers and worried me in the start, but after more Research, I confirmed it was a rare issue.

Another slight drift, Swirl vanes on the BMW 3.0 D engines, as I was thinking of 525/530/535D before I could see little reason to get a bigger 5 than the 520 D (177BHP), appears these vanes cause big problems, very rare event, but event is very unplesent, a breakdown and big £ repairs, some people pay about £400 and have them removed to avoid the poss, in the case of these vanes, I don't know why anyone has not reported it to the DFT, when they confirm a known failing/condition exists that could be unsafe for driving (ie breakdown pulling out in front of a lorry for example) they will get BMW uk to fix/recall, I guess its just never been done. The reason I know is many moons ago, is, I reported an unsafe condition on a mororcycle, all UK sold models were recalled for a free fix.

Any pitt falls on the CLS320/350 cdi ???

Infact watt difference is between the CLS320/350 cdi ???

Cheers all....

True, how could anyone not want this........ :) (must stop taking the pills.. LOL)

2004_mercedes_cls_02_m.jpg

Want one, tried one but after banging my head on the way in then finding no one would be able to sit behind me:doh::wallbash:, then the E350 CDI won the day!:)

Want one, tried one but after banging my head on the way in then finding no one would be able to sit behind me:doh::wallbash:, then the E350 CDI won the day!:)

However as SWMBO points out I am (apparently shrinking) and I don't necessarily need the rears seats anymore. Hmm! maybe when it's time to change.:D

However according to several reviews I have read its ESSENTIAL to specify the AirMATIC Dual Control air suspension option at about £1500 [ despite the long term reservations on possible repair costs] if you want the true Mercedes "waft factor" ride quality!:thumb:

Have yet to drive the new CLS, but coming from an Airmatic S Class (and having an Airmatic equipped ML) I can say that Airmatic is not essential on the 'old' CLS.
The ride quality has a slightly firm edge, but is better controlled than the S and treads the fine balance between 'lope' and 'fidget' very well indeed. :D

Have yet to drive the new CLS, but coming from an Airmatic S Class (and having an Airmatic equipped ML) I can say that Airmatic is not essential on the 'old' CLS.
The ride quality has a slightly firm edge, but is better controlled than the S and treads the fine balance between 'lope' and 'fidget' very well indeed. :D
I am in the same position as yourself not having driven the new one - not many folks have. :( However I believe the move to the new platform means the new car uses the W212 direct control suspension with the dreaded Adaptive Damping which imho marrs the ride of the C class. While this doesn't seem to effect the longer wheelbase W212 chassis in the softer SE and Avantgarde formats its said to effect the ride of the Sports version which I imagine is closest to the CLS standard suspension. :dk: Obviously a matter of personal taste of course and its possible without a direct "back to back" test of the different suspensions [that some lucky motoring journalists benefit from ] it may be difficult to decide. Will be interested to hear what you think, if and when, you get the chance to drive the new model. :thumb:

I have airmatic as standard on my cls500(for £67,000 new it's expected i suppose)gives a lovely allround ride on sport 1 mode.Considering the oldest cls's are now around 6 years old i haven't heard of any problems relating to the airmatic suspensions(or anything else major)even on cars with 100k+ on the clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom