Accident this afternoon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Enthusiast
Car
09 E320 cdi Sport Estate, 98 E300TD Estate, 99 SL 500
Hi

Looking some advice.
The wife's 124 took a bit of a knock this afternoon. No fault of hers she was knocked unconscious for a period and thankfully seems ok now if a little shaken.

The offending fiesta admitted responsibility to the police and has informed his insurance etc. His accident repair place has made contact and want to take the car away and give a hire car etc....

What is likely to happen???? She just wants her trusty old 124 fixed but it will cost more to fix it than its worth.

Can we ask that it is fixed or can they write it off regardless of what she wants???

Help!!!!

They will not fix it.

They will make you an offer. You can then decide whether that offer is good enough...and can then offer to buy the car from them...if you think you can get it fixed for less than they could have done.

At least you have it at home.

Oh...hope wifey is ok.

You can normally negotiate to keep the vehicle and a reduced settlement if they want to write it off.

But then repairing the vehicle would be your responsibility and could take time/money to find the parts you need, depending on the standard of repair you want.

Glad your wife is OK, make sure she gets/has had medical attention, any period of unconsciousness should be taken seriously.

Good luck.

You can normally negotiate to keep the vehicle and a reduced settlement if they want to write it off.

You should be claiming off the others driver's insurance. Then you are not claiming off your own insurance. The other driver's insurers don't insure your car and they can't write it off

They are, in theory, responsible for returning the car to it's pre-accident condition. Good luck with that

All insurance companies will try to write your car off. Get a sensible repair quote from a good local bodyshop using secondhand parts and hammer out a deal

I get this query every month - it's always the same story from the insurance companies

Find more info on claiming off other instance companies on Honest John's website

I am always very wary of letting insurers tow your car away. They have a habit of disposing of them without asking

Nick Froome

They will not fix it.

They will make you an offer. You can then decide whether that offer is good enough...and can then offer to buy the car from them...if you think you can get it fixed for less than they could have done.

At least you have it at home.

Oh...hope wifey is ok.

When I got there the police had already ordered the recovery truck but I insisted I change the punctured tyre and drive it the 1/2 mile home.
She really wants it fixes as she has had it 12 years and is kind of attached to it. 60% of our five kids want it fixed. Lol

Really pleased your wife is OK.

What renault and Hawkwind say re insurance co. and repairs.

Edit. And what bolide says too.

Good Luck.

Similar thing happened to me a few years back with a MK4 Golf. Insurance company wrote it off as cat D. With a lower settlement I got to keep the car and repaired it for next to nothing.

Was only written off because the insurance company have to use genuine parts which would have cost a small fortune with resprays etc ( 2 doors damaged )

Wierd bit I never did understand though was even though they classed it a Cat D they said because I bought the car back and it wasn't repaired it the didn't register the cat D. Not that I was complaining. Car was fixed and I was £800 in profit.

Yip!!! They are thinking E63 estate lol teenage boys! !!!!!!

Sounds about right :D

A couple of well lit pictures under the bonnet of the inner wing and the chassis leg would be useful to assess the extent of the damage- sprung seams etc . Looks nasty but there's a big beam under that plastic bumper which may have taken the brunt of the impact. The fact it drove home OK is encouraging. Don't let the the other parties insurance/repair company get their hands on it

Last edited:
18Custom.jpg~original

Well, it looks worse than the damage to my C124. LINK

My insurers paid out £4500 based on an estimate of 60% of the car's value and the same again for car rental. All this for a "newer" and more "desireable" motor.

I rather expect your estate will be written off. :(

Something to think about. Is it the other driver's insurance company, or a body shop, or a claims management company, that wants to take it away? If it is a claims management company, beware a scam centred around the hire car....

Grober and Bolide are right. Hang on to it and get a realistic repair estimate from a body shop you choose before making any decisions.

Keep her hands off my SL!

she was knocked unconscious for a period and thankfully seems ok now if a little shaken.

Glad your wife is OK, make sure she gets/has had medical attention, any period of unconsciousness should be taken seriously.

Been there, after an RTA, in and out of consciousness :eek:

I strongly recommend you accompany your wife to your local A & E.
Failing that, an emergency appointment at her GP.

She needs to be examined by a doctor, AND the incident recorded on her medical notes, for the future…

It’s simply not worth chancing, In My Experience :)

Robert

Been there, after an RTA, in and out of consciousness :eek:

I strongly recommend you accompany your wife to your local A & E.
Failing that, an emergency appointment at her GP.

She needs to be examined by a doctor, AND the incident recorded on her medical notes, for the future…

It’s simply not worth chancing, In My Experience :)

Robert

She was in the the back of the ambulance for 40 mins at the side of the road hooked up to monitors etc and checked out.
I assume if they let her go they were content

I couldn't help but noticing you haven't mentioned your own insurance company in this so far . Have you actually informed them of the incident- which I might add you normally have to do in terms of your policy - and what was their response?

As an ex-insurance company employee I strongly advise your readers to declare any accident, regardless of whether a claim is likely. | Ask Honest John | Honest John

They have been informed and were told the other party has admitted liability and said to be careful as people change their minds regarding liability etc.

The way it was left with the AA was they were to make contact again on Monday

Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom