Adding POI files to the COMAND SatNav System?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wookiepelt

Car
W211 E280 CDI Sport Estate
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea or have a procedure for adding a set of POIs into the COMAND SatNav system? I'm assuming that there should be a way to upload safety/speed camera data into the system similar to the way we add safety/speed camera POI files from third-party sources into our PDA GPS navigation software.

PS: I have the COMAND APS (DVD) system.

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea or have a procedure for adding a set of POIs into the COMAND SatNav system? I'm assuming that there should be a way to upload safety/speed camera data into the system similar to the way we add safety/speed camera POI files from third-party sources into our PDA GPS navigation software.

Im afraid you will be disappointed ( i assume!:D ) No way I know of doing this. I of course would love to be proven wrong

On the plus side the latest maps have Macdonalds as an entry!!!

There is no way of doing this short of decoding one of the navigation disks, modifying the data and re-creating the disk which is illegal of course......

There is no way of doing this short of decoding one of the navigation disks, modifying the data and re-creating the disk which is illegal of course......

Bummer... Hate to have to go back and attach the TomTom onto the windscreen just so to activate the safety camera capability.:(

Most of us use third party, safety camera only, devices as they are smaller and can be fitted relatively unobtrusively. I have such a device on my mobile phone so it is completely unobtrusive in my pocket.

hi,

sorry to jump in. which mobile phone and what do i need to get this. just what im after as i am in different cars (not alwats as driver) and i would like something on my mobile if poss.

cheers.

Nokia N95 (with built in GPS) running POI Alert.

I also run POI Alert on a Nokia N73 with a separate GPS unit.
Do you know of any similar softwares to run on Windows mobile 6 platforms? I'm using a O2 XDA Orbit 2 (HTC Touch Cruise) and I suspect this program may not work on my PDA phone.

Update...
Just tried installing it and it runs into "exception errors"!:(

Last edited:
Do you know of any similar softwares to run on Windows mobile 6 platforms? I'm using a O2 XDA Orbit 2 (HTC Touch Cruise) and I suspect this program may not work on my PDA phone.

Update...

I guess it should run as it is a Java application. Do you have any options to update your Java support? Perhaps the application interfaces are not compatible?

I guess it should run as it is a Java application. Do you have any options to update your Java support? Perhaps the application interfaces are not compatible?
Will talk to my IT guys to see if the Java support can be updated... Thanks for pointing this out.

Will talk to my IT guys to see if the Java support can be updated... Thanks for pointing this out.

Note that I know nothing about Windows Mobile products, be prepared for some laughing at you if you follow my "ideas". :eek:

Note that I know nothing about Windows Mobile products, be prepared for some laughing at you if you follow my "ideas". :eek:
Hey, you wouldn't believe some of the things I come up with to my IT support guys... it will simply be yet another one to add to the list!!!:p

Besides, they will not allow me any other phone apart from the WM6 system (all others are not supported by the IT department) so they just have to deal with my request one way or another (including laughing me off...)!

Update...

Try Trafcam

:(

I also have an O2 XDA Orbit 2 - Mine came with Copilot installed and I assumed it was part of the standard package. This is Sat nav with safety cameras included,

Have to say that I find it really irritating that you get pretty much better functionality than command for free. (European or US mapping an extra £40 each.... ) Of course the screen is tiny, The interface lethal to use while driving and the integration very poor, but the functions are there at a tiny fraction of the £2k+ i paid for the COMAND option. you really are paying just for a bigger screen and buttons now. Hard to justify.

Hi all,

BMW owners are able to modify their Nav DVD, see this link: www.bmwnavaddpoi.co.uk/

I also have an O2 XDA Orbit 2 - Mine came with Copilot installed and I assumed it was part of the standard package. This is Sat nav with safety cameras included,

Have to say that I find it really irritating that you get pretty much better functionality than command for free. (European or US mapping an extra £40 each.... ) Of course the screen is tiny, The interface lethal to use while driving and the integration very poor, but the functions are there at a tiny fraction of the £2k+ i paid for the COMAND option. you really are paying just for a bigger screen and buttons now. Hard to justify.
I run the TomTom Navigator 6 software on mine with all the European, US and Canadian maps (I travel quite a bit for work) WITH traffic AND camera alerts... all regularly updated to boot!

BMW owners are able to modify their Nav DVD, see this link: www.bmwnavaddpoi.co.uk/

I was about to post the same reference but to me it is misleading to say that BMW owners can add POI data, you still have to be a computer freak too.

One could claim that an MB owner and a hacker could do the same for MB navi discs but it would be more challenging as the current MB discs are encrypted while the BMW discs are not.

In my opinion the BMW approach isn't complete either, I don't think the navi device can be programmed to alert on approaching POIs of certain category and only if you are driving too fast and only if the speed camera is pointing towards you and not the approaching traffic.

In my opinion the BMW approach isn't complete either, I don't think the navi device can be programmed to alert on approaching POIs of certain category and only if you are driving too fast and only if the speed camera is pointing towards you and not the approaching traffic.
I'm not sure if you are referring specifically to the functionality of the BMW navi system but the TomTom Navigator with the safety camera alerts do alert you on approaching with 350 yards of the location of known safety cameras (i.e. safety cameras on their database stored as POIs on the system). The database do store the direction of the fixed cameras but obviously not those that are mounted in the central islands and have the capability to change directions. These are simply tagged as cameras for both direction of travel.

Programming such a function should be simple enough considering that that very function is core for all directional alerts on any navi systems... i.e. tha all important "Turn third left at the roundabout" alert as you approach the roundabout. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom