• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Advice on next AMG purchase

RSTurbo50

Car
BMW 330d M Sport Touring X Drive
I have about £25k to spend and I’m considering an E63 AMG, facelift Bi Turbo model probably on a 14/15 plate in saloon guise. Alternatively I’m considering a late 2014 C63 Coupe.

I have had a W204 C63 before and apart from all the issues I had with it I genuinely loved the car.

Has anyone owned both and if so which do you prefer? It’s purely going to be a weekend car for me as I have a daily diesel for work. Is the E63 a bit more grown up, maybe a bit boring in comparison? Is the 5.5 Bi Turbo a bit muted in comparison to the 6.2 in the C63?

Reliability wise is the 5.5 Bi Turbo pretty reliable? Not sure which way to turn so looking at suggestions…..

I went bi-turbo for reliability reasons, my C63 is my daily.

If it was a weekend today I’d lean towards the 6.2 naturally aspirated lump, but you really can’t go wrong with either in my opinion.

Having driven a C63 and owned a facelift E63 Biturbo I wouldn't hesitate going for the E class. I had mine remapped and it was a phenomenal car. The C63 is a great car, but the E63 is in a different class......literally.
Never had any issues in my 3 year ownership and I'd still have it today had it got more use.
Get the resonator removed and straight piped and its no more muted than an M156.

The way I see the two cars, the C class is more nimble, more desirable amongst younger drivers and sounds better. And that's about it.
The E63 is quicker, more economical, more comfortable and far more tuneable should you want even more performance. 700bhp for under £750 is achievable.
But as above, either car will give lots of pleasure.

People will aways have a biased opinion on what they feel was suited to them.

I feel it's best you try both and see what suits your own personal Tastes. As we all have very different.

Both engines have negatives and positives.

You will be behind the wheel at the end of the day, not Tom, ****, and Harry

You can't beat the sound of an angry M156 revving to 7,200 RPM though 😁

Both cars are awesome buddy, I recently took valuable advice from mbclub forum members. Best advice and thanking everyone for the help.

Go with whichever one you're pocket will allow. Both won't disappoint. Find a low mileage one if you can and have a little money aside for Ghost2 immobiliser. Rats are attracted to them, so best to invest in an immobiliser.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Is the E63 a bit more grown up, maybe a bit boring in comparison?
Yea, definitely more grown up, and I would say a more capable road car. No, not boring, but less characterful or more subtle. Also desirable to fewer people. For some those will be good things, others not.

Is the 5.5 Bi Turbo a bit muted in comparison to the 6.2 in the C63?
No, very different in tone. Both can very loud, too loud even.

The 6.2 has a wider vocal range, if it had a 5 bar graphic equaliser then the three middle bars would be pushed to the max, the lowest frequency would be midway, and the highest frequency bar would be pushed to the min.

The 5.5 definitely majors on very low and very high with little in between. On the same graphic equaliser the two lowest frequencies and the highest frequency would be pushed to the max, and the other two would be pushed to the min.

A completely different sound profile, but both wonderful.

Reliability wise is the 5.5 Bi Turbo pretty reliable? Not sure which way to turn so looking at suggestions…..
Probably better, but down to maintenance and luck!

No, very different in tone. Both can very loud, too loud even.

The 6.2 has a wider vocal range, if it had a 5 bar graphic equaliser then the three middle bars would be pushed to the max, the lowest frequency would be midway, and the highest frequency bar would be pushed to the min.

A completely different sound profile, but both wonderful.
I agree, and I think the more vocal range comes from the ability to rev that more. Which obviously makes sense giving it's 6.2 capacity.

A tough choice between two very good cars. I have never driven a saloon car with a steering rack that comes close to that of the C63, including my W205. But that is only one element.

I have about £25k to spend and I’m considering an E63 AMG, facelift Bi Turbo model probably on a 14/15 plate in saloon guise. Alternatively I’m considering a late 2014 C63 Coupe.

I have had a W204 C63 before and apart from all the issues I had with it I genuinely loved the car.

Has anyone owned both and if so which do you prefer? It’s purely going to be a weekend car for me as I have a daily diesel for work. Is the E63 a bit more grown up, maybe a bit boring in comparison? Is the 5.5 Bi Turbo a bit muted in comparison to the 6.2 in the C63?

I’ve had both and it prefer the 5.5 as a daily.

I also had 4 c63s and two in 507 form. One of the 507 I ran as a daily.

5.5 has way better options and better on fuel. They are very quick too!

Is the E63 a bit more grown up, maybe a bit boring in comparison? Is the 5.5 Bi Turbo a bit muted in comparison to the 6.2 in the C63?
Yes to grown up and boring against the 204

Yes to muted 100%

For a weekend car it’s a no brainier - 204 all day long, the E is more muted huge in size and won’t provide the thrill of driving that the 204 does, the E is best suited to more mature folks whom for some strange reason need a huge car for a single passenger 99% of the time

Only one of those engines won engine of the year awards, the 156 is a very special engine as you know and we in life should not settle for 2nd best

BB23C1DF-B28A-4782-B58F-B0F50335F5B9.png

I looked at the e63 before before my current c63 and agree with some of the options above for me after coming from the w204 ppp car which i loved the E is abit boring and the sound isn't there yes you can do things to make it sound better but you cant get it anywhere near the M156 fuel economy isnt an issue if you've owned the w204 before for me i couldn't get past the looks of the E (taxi) so i went with the w205 c63
As said before horse for courses both caperble cars as for tuning the E is way capable of high gain but would you buy a tuned car?

I looked at the e63 before before my current c63 and agree with some of the options above for me after coming from the w204 ppp car which i loved the E is abit boring and the sound isn't there yes you can do things to make it sound better but you cant get it anywhere near the M156 fuel economy isnt an issue if you've owned the w204 before for me i couldn't get past the looks of the E (taxi) so i went with the w205 c63
As said before horse for courses both caperble cars as for tuning the E is way capable of high gain but would you buy a tuned car?

I really like the look of the Facelift E63. I know what you mean about the taxi look, but i quite like the fact its a little understated in that sense. My question is and worry I have is, is it going to be exciting enough as a pure weekend motor and will I get the same thrill I get from taking a W204 C63 out? Id only buy a standard car and wouldnt entertain anything thats been modified...

I guess its finding the best car for my money....I dont think either would disappoint me..

It's definitely not boring, I have both m156 and m157. Both are excellent and exciting to drive. Enjoy V8 👍

Last edited:
Could always save some money and go m113k 😁

I don't think this looks boring at all.
You really need a test drive in an E63 Biturbo to make your mind up if you prefer it to a C63

Could always save some money and go m113k 😁

lovely motors but a tad old for me plus have you seen what people are asking for these cars?????

Only one of those engines won engine of the year awards, the 156 is a very special engine as you know and we in life should not settle for 2nd best
Yawn...

That was twelve years ago; technology, and the rest of us, have moved on since then...

😁

The W212 chassis is much better composed than the W204. Interior is a nicer place to be too.

If you like the one (very good) trick pony nature of the W204 C63, that’s great. But if you want the better resolved road car then the W212 E63 is the one to go for. I’d have another in a heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom