• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Ahem....another incoming E63

Palmball

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi R8 V10+ & BMW M5
:wallbash:

Well, it seems I can't make my mind up :o And I'm sure this is of no surprise to most people :rolleyes:

However.....a couple of scenarios have combined to make me reach a decision on the GLE whilst I still can with relatively limited pain:

1. My house build saga continues and even in the closing stages of the build, I'm faced with considerable extra costs that I'd not fully planned for. It's all my own choice, but they're things I either do easily now, or never do later (or at much higher cost if I do).

2. I do rather fancy the new C63 coupe and so does my other half (who the GLE actually belongs to). Given the lead time is supposedly 6-8 months, the GLE's value will have bombed catastrophically in that time.

Point 1 above means that I could do with realising the considerable equity I have in the GLE. If I really wanted to, I could get away with keeping it but this leads me onto point 3....I can't justify the cost of the GLE in comparison to the ML63. This isn't strictly fair on the GLE as it really does feel every bit of it's value and I am comparing new with used.....but I just can't rationalise the £40k difference between them when they are so similar :crazy:

All combined, I've decided to get out of the GLE now. Someone has clearly been looking over me because the combination of the AMG's current rarity and a generous up-front discount means it's a whole lot less painful than it could've been moving on a brand new car after 7 weeks.

And that means another E63 is incoming :wallbash:

Well...you can at least credit me with putting my money where my mouth is as I did state when I sold the last E63 that I really liked it, and it was one of the best all rounders I've driven. You could call the 6 week period we owned the last E63 as an extended test drive :p

There was one thing I didn't like though, and that was the lack of a diff on the standard model - IMO, it fell back on it's stability control far too often. So this time I've hunted for an S model and by God, these are hard to buy reasonably! They're relatively rare and the ones for sale (even outside the MB network) are either very expensive (£70k) or the cheap ones sell very quickly - there were two in the mid-£50k's last week and I missed them both :mad:

One of them was being sold by my old chums at MB Birmingham Central who quickly offered me their other group stock car from their Caterham branch...but this was up at £63k (far too much money given the E-class being replaced next year). I cheekily offered them £55k and, to my surprise, we settled on a price within a couple of £k's of this, not a bad result getting a £6k+ discount on used car :D

I'm a very happy bunny because the car is under a year old and was a MB directors' car with just 2.5k on the clock. It's also spec'd to about £93k as follows:

- Designo graphite paint
- Night package
- Comfort ventilated seats
- Multi-contour seats with the full dynamic backrests (our last one had these and they're lovely)
- 360 camera
- Distronic Plus (in fact, it has the whole driver asst. package)
- Split fold rear seats (it's criminal that this isn't standard but our last one didn't have this and we then realised how much we need it)
- Comfort Access
- Rear seat entertainment (we have no use for this whatsoever but no doubt will help resale)
- And of course....the standard AMG diff lock :)

All in all, should be a nice car and if theres something typical about my car buying habits, when I buy car for a second time it tends to last longer.

The Designo paint looks very 'sparkly' and the interior looks brand new....here's some pictures of the old taxi :D

fac65786-5f1c-4c7b-a656-4846a5c01870_zpswxdjvwqz.jpg

KU64WSN-007_1024x768_zps9ov6cv2a.jpg

KU64WSN-003_1024x768_zpsfvavlob7.jpg

KU64WSN-012_1024x768_zpsn5o2jcoh.jpg

KU64WSN-014_1024x768_zpstfojjibw.jpg

KU64WSN-006_1024x768_zpsatoun8zr.jpg

Another handsome car, and a good deal too :cool:

What's happening to the GLE?

Very nice Andrew the paint work looks great and the spec is good too. Enjoy

Welcome to the S club :thumb:

Nice colour...sort of sophisticated.

Andrew, I'm a nosey fecker, as many will testify to...what business are you in? :o

Indeed, welcome to the S club (shame Rachel Stevens or Hannah Spearritt wasn't included in the boot mind you!)

I know what you mean about finding one, I was lucky in picking up my 12 month old for £55K and pounced as soon as it appeared.

Bloomin lovely. That's the colour I wanted but couldn't get it.

Another handsome car, and a good deal too :cool:

What's happening to the GLE?

Cheers.

GLE is being traded in, two dealers really wanted it. I'd have liked to deal with Derby again as they've looked after me so well and offered a very generous price to get the GLE back. But they didn't have and S to sell me, or indeed any other reasonably priced/spec'd E63 other than the one we traded in. To be fair, I considered buying it back but it didn't have folding rear seats :mad: which riles me, and was missed.

In the end MB Birmingham are buying it for similar money to what Derby offered.

You are insane, but why not a handsome estate?

I prefer the estate - it's the better looking car IMO.

But you try and find a used S estate, they're (currently) non-existent and I don't think I've seen one for sale since I've been looking at E63's.

The other reason is.....the other half was having none of it :o

Nice colour...sort of sophisticated.

Andrew, I'm a nosey fecker, as many will testify to...what business are you in? :o

Thanks. Telecoms - I run an e-commerce business for a major retailer.

Money laundering..

Ha, well I'm not very good at it then as I keep losing it :mad:

Well, SLS excepted....that stroke of luck funded a chunk of the GT

I know what you mean about finding one, I was lucky in picking up my 12-month old for £55K and pounced as soon as it appeared.

It seems any in the mid £50k's sell instantly - none of the ones advertised last week existed by the time I enquired about them

There are days when I wonder if I'm slightly mad paying £5,750 for designo mystic blue paint on the new SL I've ordered. Then I just need to read one of your car change threads and I feel fine again

Wow, that's really classy looking Andrew.

The whole car looks wonderful. I'm sure it'll serve you well until the C Class coupe arrives next year.

Have you ordered it yet? Or are prices/spec not even available?

Ant

Last edited by a moderator:
good going Palmball - the GT looks great also. So have you gone for the C63 coupe also? I recall your C63's were both saloons so how come you were not tempted by the new one?

congratulation on the new purchase(s)

There are days when I wonder if I'm slightly mad paying £5,750 for designo mystic blue paint on the new SL I've ordered. Then I just need to read one of your car change threads and I feel fine again��

I'm not so sure nearly £6k on paint is any less crazy than what I do :D

Have you ordered it yet? Or are prices/spec not even available?

Ant

good going Palmball - the GT looks great also. So have you gone for the C63 coupe also? I recall your C63's were both saloons so how come you were not tempted by the new one?

congratulation on the new purchase(s)

No prices yet for the C63 so can't do much until these are released, I think early October.

I was tempted by the saloon, in fact when I drove one after I'd ordered the GT (but before I'd driven the GT) I nearly cancelled the GT order - I just couldn't see how the GT was going to be worth so much extra. Then I drove the GT....and it's whilst it's still hard to justify the extra cost, it's definitely special enough to make it worthwhile.

I do think the new C63 coupe looks stunning and to be fair, I'd have had my previous C63's as coupes but they hadn't been released back then.

Thanks. Telecoms - I run an e-commerce business for a major retailer.

And there was me thinking you worked as a high end mystery shopper!!!

Stunning car, congratulations - on everything!

I'm not so sure nearly £6k on paint is any less crazy than what I do :D

Funnily enough it was a response to one of your threads that tipped the balance on me ordering the paint option.

You were discussing the £10k yellow paint option on the GT. I think stumpy responded with something along the lines of " who's the bigger Muppet, the man that ordered a £100k car in a colour he didn't really like or the man that ordered a £110k car in the colour he wanted?"

I know now you're happy with fire opal, but I was going to order the SL in caravansite blue which I wasn't really keen on, in fact I didn't really like any of the colours available. I thought about the comment above and decided mystic blue is the way to go. Especially as we'll be keeping the car for some time.

^^^ that was the gist of it ,yes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom