All about the purchase of my 500E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If its 1991 build why does it have a post face-lift boot (or is that normal for AMG's?). Would this be a mod. hope one of the forum experts can advise.

First, it isn't an AMG. It is a 500E, hand built by Porsche using a bodyshell and parts supplied by Mercedes.

Second, it not only has a facelift boot lid, but a facelift bonnet and grille too. You can tell because the three-pointed star is located in the bonnet paintwork rather than in the chrome top of the grille.

Finally, it is a truly beautiful car. I would love to own one.

Wow. That's a very, very nice car.

Find a few more like that and you could make a few bob selling them on.

Second, it not only has a facelift boot lid,

No such thing as a facelifted bootlid IIRC , just the filler panel that goes in the back end to make it seem chunkier ..... its the same old lid with the panel put in place ....

To do a full facelift , you need :-

Bonnet + Grille
Front and Rear bumpers
Indicators ( weirdly even the 'proper' facelifts kept the orange repeaters )
Headlights ( these are slightly different pre and post facelift )
Filler Panel
Rear light lenses
Possibly side 'slab' panels ( depending on how pre-facelift it was originally )

Last edited:
Stop editing while I'm quoting you! :mad: :D

No such thing as a facelifted bootlid IIRC , just the filler panel that goes in the back end to make it seem chunkier ..... its the same old lid with the panel put in place ....
That's what I thought, but I looked it up and found this. The two lids are, in fact, different parts.

( weirdly even the 'proper' facelifts kept the orange repeaters )
That's true, so if you wanted to keep it original that's what you'd have - but if you were just 'improving' the look of the car surely you'd get some of the aftermarket clear repeater lenses?

Ones a saloon , ones a coupe lid ....

Thats why the AMG ducktail spoilers are hard to come by for us coupe drivers , all the ones on Ebay are for the saloons , but the coupe has a very slightly different boot ....

HERE is how to fit the rear panel ( if you have a coupe )

EDIT :- Ooooooooops !!! , just read the thread , it would appear you are right .... it is a whole new lid .... how embarrasing , i'm meant to know this stuff !! :eek: Just the filler panel for the coupe ...

Last edited:
Faster than lightening me !! ;)

HOW JEALOUS AM I. I WANT ONE...stop shouting Matt...very jealous...plan on getting one of those myself this year if things go accordingly...she looks great. Have a yellow one for going to the effort:bannana: of importing from Japan.

Would second what Gollum said...get it up to Mr Walker at 124 works (you must have googled the company name by now;) ). he will dribble all over her but clean up after himself:eek: :devil:

enjoy her

matt

Looks I will have to contact this guy and see what he thinks, thanks Paddy

A truly magnificent example of one of MB's greats. I too am really rather envious of your acquisition and I WANT ONE TOO! :devil:

Congratulations - you're obviously going to thoroughly enjoy driving her - hope to see her on display at one of the meets in the future! :D

How do you find out about meets? Paddy

First, it isn't an AMG. It is a 500E, hand built by Porsche using a bodyshell and parts supplied by Mercedes.

Second, it not only has a facelift boot lid, but a facelift bonnet and grille too. You can tell because the three-pointed star is located in the bonnet paintwork rather than in the chrome top of the grille.

Finally, it is a truly beautiful car. I would love to own one.

So are you saying that although it is a 500E it has the E500 bonnet and boot?!?

Stunning car oooozes style and class....congrats and welcome :D

does this pic help
It does. It's interesting, because a standard UK number plate won't fit in that space (as I dare say you've already discovered). The parts site doesn't show different lids for different countries (with different size number plates), though.

Yes. It's had the newer parts fitted - even the badge.

So when did the facelift come out, 1993? I believe there were some E500's if based on the facelift. If this isn't one then someon truly has spent a LOT of money on this at some point.

Looks fantastic. The bootlid looks like the US spec ones, they used to do different bootlids for different markets. Now they typically change the number plate mount / infill panel, this is most noticeable on the W203 and W220.

Some friends of ours had a RHD W202 in the UK with the US spec rear bootlid.

yes. i did not half start them off tonight when i typed boot whilst i meant bonnet :D (as at that point you had not posted the rear pics). When your car was made in '91 the star was part of the chrome grille, not separate on the bonnet. that and a variety of other changes later (others with infinitely more knowledge will tell you exactly when if you ask)

someone has updated these as it improves the looks (in my opinion). Dont think it means anything underneath has changed much (again; other will tell you this if you ask)

just enjoy it....clearly we all think you have a gem there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom