AMG A35 Owners Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Noticed Car Wow and Mat Watson have done an early review of the A45 AMG and my first thoughts was I would still have chosen the A35 AMG because there is no way on this planet could justify £50,000 + and the early A35 issues would concern me if splashing that much cash.

It does look a crazy beast though, but personally think its too much as cannot personally think of a time where could ever get to use anywhere near its capability. Only a few places where can truly stretch the R legs and truly get it moving.

Just update on myself, did order the TCR and have had an added bonus as the MY20 will come with Akrapovich as standard which should add that little bit more of an edge that came with the original concept - have a bit of a wait still as being built late August for an October delivery.

Hi guys, I currently have a BMW M140i but am looking for an AWD hatch as my next car (I miss my old STi whenever it's wet or cold!). The A35 and upcoming A45s are both on my wish-list at the moment, but one "nice to have" item is the ability to fit a tow bar. Do any of you know the A35 is approved to fit a tow bar? I'm assuming the A45s won't be.

Hi guys, I currently have a BMW M140i but am looking for an AWD hatch as my next car (I miss my old STi whenever it's wet or cold!). The A35 and upcoming A45s are both on my wish-list at the moment, but one "nice to have" item is the ability to fit a tow bar. Do any of you know the A35 is approved to fit a tow bar? I'm assuming the A45s won't be.

Not something applicable to me so I didn't specifically ask that question, however due to the design of the rear bumper I can't see how one could be fitted.

There always seems to be confusion when trying to find out if a car is rated for towing or not, without actually looking at the VIN plate / log book. It will have a 2nd weight (the 4200 kg in the example below) on the VIN plate if rated for towing, if not (as my current M140i) it will just be blank or with a "-". It's just some of the spec sites for the A35 state a maximum towing weight, which I was surprised to see, exactly because of the rear bumper shape you mentioned, and because it's a high performance hatchback. Still, if it's not rated for towing, then I may as well just wait for the A45s, I'm a little worried the A35 would feel a lot slower than the M140i unless I'm revving the socks off it or launching...

vin-plate-towingweight.jpg

There always seems to be confusion when trying to find out if a car is rated for towing or not, without actually looking at the VIN plate / log book. It will have a 2nd weight (the 4200 kg in the example below) on the VIN plate if rated for towing, if not (as my current M140i) it will just be blank or with a "-". It's just some of the spec sites for the A35 state a maximum towing weight, which I was surprised to see, exactly because of the rear bumper shape you mentioned, and because it's a high performance hatchback. Still, if it's not rated for towing, then I may as well just wait for the A45s, I'm a little worried the A35 would feel a lot slower than the M140i unless I'm revving the socks off it or launching...

vin-plate-towingweight.jpg

The A45 is a completely different class of car with a price tag to match, it's competition for the M2 and RS3.

It's in a different league to an M140i, a friend of mine has an M140 and my A35 is quicker off the mark and round an a or b road, the only time the M140 is quicker is on a long straight road as it will eventually catch up and pass me.

Yep, I have two lists for new cars (I'm only buying one though!), one titled "fast tow cars" and another "fast cars". Under the latter I have the RS3, M4 (it's about the same price as the M2 after discounts and I think looks nicer), A45s etc. I'm not too keen on the RS3 as almost every review mentions how uninspiring it is and prone to understeer etc. I'm hoping the upcoming A45s won't be like that, then it will be sitting firmly at the top of that list for me. I think the M4 looks the best, but it's not a hatchback (which is a negative for me) and is RWD which is another negative.

I was hoping the A35 would fit into my "fast tow cars" category, as it would probably be fast enough for me whilst meaning I don't need to faff about with hiring trucks (and cheaper than the others obviously). If you have ideas of fast AWD hatchbacks that can tow then please let me know! Other things I've got on the list already are stuff like the upcoming BMW M340i xDrive or the X3 M40i. Haven't really looked too much at non-BMW cars yet...

Yep, I have two lists for new cars (I'm only buying one though!), one titled "fast tow cars" and another "fast cars". Under the latter I have the RS3, M4 (it's about the same price as the M2 after discounts and I think looks nicer), A45s etc. I'm not too keen on the RS3 as almost every review mentions how uninspiring it is and prone to understeer etc. I'm hoping the upcoming A45s won't be like that, then it will be sitting firmly at the top of that list for me. I think the M4 looks the best, but it's not a hatchback (which is a negative for me) and is RWD which is another negative.

I was hoping the A35 would fit into my "fast tow cars" category, as it would probably be fast enough for me whilst meaning I don't need to faff about with hiring trucks (and cheaper than the others obviously). If you have ideas of fast AWD hatchbacks that can tow then please let me know! Other things I've got on the list already are stuff like the upcoming BMW M340i xDrive or the X3 M40i. Haven't really looked too much at non-BMW cars yet...

To be honest I pay very little attention to reviews. The RS3 is an fantastic car, if I had been willing to spend that sort of money it would certainly have been the car I would have bought.

I owned an S3 for 3 years and they can definitely be fitted with a towbar, hands down the best all round car I have ever owned. It was comfortable while still be engaging and fun to drive, it was also very well built something that I can't say about the A35.

The only problem with S3/RS3 is that they are being replaced next year and the interiors are starting to look dated when compared with the A35 and newly released 1 series. The interior on the new M135i looks great, however the exterior is awful, it looks like a people carrier.

Well I've been a year out of owning a Mercedes and missed it too much.... had a C350 before and so glad they've released the A35.

Put my order in for a Designo Mountain Grey Saloon fully spec'd... unfortunately now being told there is a problem with that colour option, so waiting on Mercedes to tell me what's happening!

Anyone else had this problem?

Jim

My A35 arrives two weeks today, reading this thread has been useful information.
Decided not to wait for an A45 - cant see the point of it, (for me) 300bhp is more than enough on the little roads around the North York Moors.

Anyway, looking forward to getting my first Mercedes.

Saw this yesterday, apparently Digital White, looked nice in the showroom but lighting was very poor so difficult to get a proper impression. Has anyone got one?

03455-CCD-A137-475-D-B73-F-05340-D3-DE027.jpg

My A35 arrives two weeks today, reading this thread has been useful information.
Decided not to wait for an A45 - cant see the point of it, (for me) 300bhp is more than enough on the little roads around the North York Moors.

Anyway, looking forward to getting my first Mercedes.

Welcome , are you anywhere near here? One of our favourite spots, and the A35/45 numbers are growing :thumb:

F8-B522-B4-645-B-41-D0-9-B3-B-F83-CE46812-BE.jpg

Hello everyone :) new member here

Ordered my new car on friday from Mercedes in oxford, A35 AMG in sun yellow (shes due to arrive friday october 25th) its a premium plus with every option ticked apart from the 'driving assistance package'

ive really enjoyed reading all your posts, i was a little unsure about selecting the Ride control, but after reading this it made up my mind

I come from a renault sport background and had many hot hatches up until i had to start driving 25k+ miles a year and had to swap into diesels - my current car is a Range Rover Evoque, but i cant wait to get back into something quick and noticeable :) (i've moved closer to work, so i'm not doing the mileage i once was)

oh, and on another note, the forum wont let me sign up with a googlemail or gmail account, the authentication email didnt come through - i had to signed up in the end with my work email address

Ordered my new car on friday from Mercedes in oxford, A35 AMG in sun yellow (shes due to arrive friday october 25th) its a premium plus with every option ticked apart from the 'driving assistance package'

ive really enjoyed reading all your posts, i was a little unsure about selecting the Ride control, but after reading this it made up my mind

I come from a renault sport background and had many hot hatches up until i had to start driving 25k+ miles a year and had to swap into diesels - my current car is a Range Rover Evoque, but i cant wait to get back into something quick and noticeable :) (i've moved closer to work, so i'm not doing the mileage i once was)

oh, and on another note, the forum wont let me sign up with a googlemail or gmail account, the authentication email didnt come through - i had to signed up in the end with my work email address

Nice choice on the colour and spec, the ride control is a must as the passive dampers deliver too harsh a ride when you are just commuting etc. Mine didn't have them and I regretted not having them almost straight away.

This forum is pretty quiet, if you want more info on the cars and interaction there are a couple of good private Facebook groups. Just be aware the folks on there are pretty sensitive and don't really want to hear any negatives about the A35, I had a lot of issues with mine and actually successfully rejected it, they weren't really sympathetic to my situation. They are also of the opinion that nothing in the world could be better than an A35, I loved the A35 and wished it didn't have the issue it did, however I wasn't so narrow minded as some were in their opinions about the car.

Overall you should really enjoy the car and it definitely attracts a lot of attention, if that's the sort of thing you are after of course.

Having been a cliosport.net member for 16 years, im very familiar with communities where nothing else is better ;)

Did you hand the car back and not replace it with another?

Could you let me know the group names? I will get myself added

Great choice on the colour and spec :)
Will be a nice change from the Evoque.
Had mine since March and I’ve done 5k now and it’s been faultless, it’s a shame Chris had so many issues with his as it’s a great car. Hopefully yours will be trouble free!
Check out aclassclub.co.uk also, it’s a bit more lively in there.

Having been a cliosport.net member for 16 years, im very familiar with communities where nothing else is better ;)

Did you hand the car back and not replace it with another?

Could you let me know the group names? I will get myself added

I replaced it straight away, I had to as it was my daily transport. I bought a new Golf GTI TCR.

The Facebook group is called Mercedes AMG A35/CLA35 Owners Group

Dare I ask, which do you prefer?

There are certain things I think each car does better than the other one.

Technology and options (HUD for example), the A35 wins hands down.
Interior build and quality of materials, the Golf wins hands down. TBH based on the cost of the A35 and the so called "premium" brand associated with Mercedes I was taken aback at the lack of quality and attention to detail in the Merc. For example if you are coming from an Audi you will be deeply disappointed with the build quality, and the quality of materials in the Merc.
My opinion both drive as well as each other, and both are equally as quick. The Merc would be quicker off the line, this is to be expected with the 4matic system.

The A35 certainly attracts more attention, however that had a lot to do with the colour of mine (and yours). I saw a white A35 this morning, and it doesn't stand out anymore that any other hot hatch. Attracting attention can be as much of a negative as a positive, so this depends on your point of view.

I will fully admit that if you get an A35 without any issues, it is a great car and you will get a lot of enjoyment from driving it. My experience was poor due to the number of issues I had with the car, and the awful way the dealership dealt with the situation and treated me (the service and sales manager maintained there was nothing wrong with my car, bear in mind they both had this opinion despite never having driven my car or been a passenger in it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom