Another 320cdi w210 starting issue!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coneybiller

Car
'06 W211 E320CDI OM648
My 320cdi is having issues starting... oddly enough it seems worse when hot but still struggles hot or cold. If I fill up with diesel after a motorway journey go in and pay, then return and start it, it can take 3 or 4 start cycles (auto turn over cycles) to fire.

Now, I've replaced the 6 low pressure line 'o' rings and the issue got a lot better but still didn't 100% cure it. It would fire after the first cycle but would still take 4 or 5 revolutions before firing.

1 issue I did have, was re-fitting the plate that holds the 2 pipes on the HP pump. The only 1 that had a plate to secure the pipes (torx bolt). Upon fitting it the small pointy part of the plate that goes over the outter most pipe, snapped!! It does however look at if it's holding the pipe fine seeing as the other pipe never had this extra part to it and it has the same amount of surface area pushing on it.
My question is, can I get a new plate? Or is it part of the HP fuel pump only?
I've changed the fuel filter and new o ring and also replaced the leak off pipe o rings too. Thinking either this plate is not clamping properly, brittle fuel pipe allowing air into system, HP pump up the swanny or duff injectors (which leads to another issue...).

I've also got a metallic rattle coming from the injector area. It happens after the engines warm and only on light throttle. As soon as boost comes in, the rattle disappears! It only does it under load too so difficult to pin point on my own. Could this be an injector giving up the ghost? I've had the air box and heat shield off to check the manifold for leaks and the turbo and catalyst. But no tell-tale soot marks!

Regards

Ben

Injector leak off or get it on STAR and check injector quantities/readings.

No. 77? If so, it's A6110781941

http://www.mercedes-benz-parts.co.u...ls&flypage=shop.flypage&option=com_virtuemart

B07013000016.070207.png

Last edited:
Ahh brilliant. Yes number 77, the sharp piece on the left as you look at it on that pic, snapped! I was horrified when it happened, thinking I was in desperate trouble! But carried on doing the bolt up and couldn't actually work out what that part was for! But now I'm beginning to think that it's pretty crucial to making sure that the HP pump is getting a fuel feed, air free!
Hope it's that part anyway! Do you think I should order new pipes while I'm dealing with merc parts? They felt alright, had plenty of flex for me to change the o rings without taking the fan cowling or radiator out! But makes me wonder!

Does anyone have the part numbers of the 3 plastic fuel pipes so that I can order some more?
Starting issue is def to do with this bracket as its leaking diesel from where the pipes enter the pump!

Post your VIN or REG as there are different part numbers

I phoned inchcape in the end so I could get the parts on order. Unfortunately I can't get them until the end of the week, so looks like I'm going to have to live with it for a while!
Crazy how it's cheaper to order online than over the phone. I did ask if it was indeed cheaper and he said definitely, he then gave me all the part numbers so I could put them on the website! Bizarre! But hey ho!

I'm surprised they gave the numbers out, at least it's sorted.

I think, from experience, replacing those pipes completely is a better job than faffing around with O rings.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Agreed. I was just trying to save a few pennies by just changing the o rings if that's what allows air into the system. £11 for an o ring set (inc leak off pipes) versus £100 for 3 plastic pipes. No brained I thought... until I broke the pipe retaining bracket on the pump. so I'm replacing the lot now.
This W210 is slowly becoming brand new again with the amount of parts I've thrown at it so far lol! Could of bought a W211 instead!

Well I've replaced all of the clear plastic fuel pipes under the bonnet. What a PITA those pipes were to change. I had to take off all the metal pipes to the injectors and the metal pipe from pump to rail. I forgot to tighten them all properly (after my nipper got covered in oil after climbing into the boot, where I'd spilt some oil and I had to clean her up lol) I then proceeded to crank it and completely flattened my battery trying. Bought a new battery (as needed the car ASAP and not to mention someone along the lines had fitted the wrong size battery) tried cranking again and then realised it had completely soaked the engine compartment in diesel! :wallbash::wallbash::wall bash:

Tightened the pipes and viola! she purred into life. The belt was slipping big time after this, so I poured about 5 litres of water over the belt while she was running, which cured that. Only issue I now have is the stench of diesel in the cabin.
Can I jet-wash it all off safely or is there any other "tips" for cleaning up my schoolboy error of a mess?

Last edited:
I wouldn't jet wash it unless you either cover the electrics properly!

If there are no leaks, drive the car and it will burn off on the hot engine

Agreed. I spilled plenty on the belts and the heat will sort it. Despite my initial concerns, the diesel did no harm to the belt. The honk will disappear in a few days. Don't jet wash in there. At best spray a bit of Gunk and rinse it with a hose.

Not sure if I'm getting used to the smell or if it is indeed subsiding. Either way the smell is definitely getting better. I do silly miles per week (600 - 750miles) in the old girl, so shouldn't take too long for it to dissipate.

I'm sure it's burning off

It'll go soon!

Replaced injector on cylinder 2, new seal and new bolt, torqued to 7nm + 90deg. Replaced leak off pipe with new brass connectors. Took a while to fire into life but once it did she was sweet as a nut. Fires pretty much as soon as you turn the key! 1 Happy chappy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom