• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Anti-roll bar rubbers

Wezzel

Car
C220 cdi Sport Estate
I ordered some replacement anti-roll bar rubbers today for the front of my '99 C220 cdi sport. Looking at the Haynes manual it looks as though they are not split bushes but the slide on type. The manual says something like "simply use a little washing up liquid and ask a small child to slide them on one-handed whilst reading a book and playing x-box" :D .

Am I going to have to use an 8lb lump hammer and oxy acetelene welding gear to slide the little b-----ds on? :devil: If this is the case I would rather take it down the garage.

The Haynes Book of Lies is pretty much spot on this time; no hammer required :-)

nah - for once the instructions are not far wrong :)

clean any rust etc off the anti roll bar and they should go straight on - the clamps hold them in place and compress them so they don't need to be an incredibly tight fit.

Andy

I've got a knocking noise (which I understand is pretty common) when driving over small bumps in the road. If you rock the car from side to side when stationary I get the same noise.

When I had the last service at a good independant they said that the ball joints were okay and the anti-roll bushes looked okay too but as they are cheap to replace (and I will be doing the steering damper anyway) it's worth a try.

I've had similar knocking on other cars and it has always been the anti-roll bar.

Wezzel said:
I've got a knocking noise (which I understand is pretty common) when driving over small bumps in the road. If you rock the car from side to side when stationary I get the same noise.

When I had the last service at a good independant they said that the ball joints were okay and the anti-roll bushes looked okay too but as they are cheap to replace (and I will be doing the steering damper anyway) it's worth a try.

I've had similar knocking on other cars and it has always been the anti-roll bar.

Yes but I would have thought it would be the connecting links, assuming it has them.

I'm being really thick now but what are the connecting links?

Ignore that last post. I'm not being thick after all. The W202 doesn't have them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom