• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Any of these E63 M157 belong to members here?

So Tesco Momentum is the better fuel for these then? Always stuck to Vpower but happily make the swap as we've got a local Tesco near us.

Could the heat have that much of an impact on results in particular the bhp as the claimed result is 100bhp where some have only produced a 50bhp increase
I can’t find the video but Tesco makes same
power as Vpower with less knock

Is this the video? It seems like Tesco is definitely the better fuel 🏆🙂

Screenshot_20230417_210634_YouTube.jpg
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

As a comparison between the various flavours of super unleaded, those power figures are meaningless. The difference across them is 1%, the deviation of the dyno run to run will be greater than that.

Momentum is cheaper hence folks prefer it, i only use v power.
I watched a YouTube video (although o now forget which one) during which they performed some back to back tests with different fuels, whilst trying to control conditions as much as is practically possible outside of a lab, eg draining the tank between fuels.

If I remember correctly, they asserted that VPower just about yielded the best results (in terms of power output) with a “good” batch. However they asserted that there was variability which meant that sometimes it pipped Momentum and sometimes it didn’t. They concluded that Momentum was much more consistent and therefore preferable, especially in a tuned car.

I try to use tesco momentum in my SL but my local forecourt (15 minute drive) is often out of stock, which you only find out about after getting there.

As mentioned already there are also options with regard to what level of stage 1 map you’d like. Most good Tuners will know that the default map to offer on the M157 is between 650-680bhp. This is mainly driven by the fact that in the early days of remapping the M157, it was incredibly easy to go for over 750bhp and 900lb/ft. However, a couple of years afterwards there were stories appearing about engine failures etc, which could have been caused by the remap (e.g. too much boost low in the Rev range = high temps). On this basis the map was toned down. This doesn’t mean to say an M157 can’t be remapped to 700 plus safely, as it can, but it needs a lot more work to check that knock, fuel pressure, timing, fueling and temps are all optimal in order to create a safe map.

For the record MSL / BFT etc were the first to change their maps as a precaution, however due to the quality of their map writing I don’t think they had issues with the earlier maps, it was mainly Tuners who “sold” pre written bought in maps.

With the above and then all the other variables mentioned, e.g. plugs, filters, fuel, oil and not forgetting HP fuel pump etc, then it’s easy to see why the results aren’t the same every time. If I’m honest then I am always sceptical when a tuner posts numbers on a certain turbo engine and they are almost identical every time. On NA engines yes this is possible.

Going to SRR is a good idea. But make sure you go back post remap. The dyno dynamics dynamometer that Charlie uses is different to the one at MSL, so it’s likely the readings will be different. A Dyno is only a guide.

Hope this helps

The white wagon K27 JCR is mine, it's the stage 1 remap & resonator delete (5th from bottom)
Had it done two years ago & it's been smiles from me ever since - along with new rear tyres every 6 months or so.
It's been my daily drive for nearly 5 years & it's been faultless - love it & with 625bhp & 685lb ft it certainly goes very well indeed.

The white wagon K27 JCR is mine, it's the stage 1 remap & resonator delete (5th from bottom)
Had it done two years ago & it's been smiles from me ever since - along with new rear tyres every 6 months or so.
It's been my daily drive for nearly 5 years & it's been faultless - love it & with 625bhp & 685lb ft it certainly goes very well indeed.
Awesome car, it's a torque monster 👍👌

Awesome car, it's a torque monster 👍👌
It just keeps pulling & pulling - feels like a nuclear power plant under the bonnet o_O
Last year on a derestricted Autobahn in deepest Bavaria i touched an indicated 180mph & it was still pulling..not that i drive like this all the time but its good to stretch it's legs every now & again.

I can imagine, with that level of power, its a monster. The exhaust sounds perfect too, good choice, not too loud, just at the right level 🙂

I said to myself that I would keep my m157 on stock tune with the ultimate intension to move onto W213 E63s after a year or so. But now and then I get that itch to visit MSL for a map 🫣🙂

I said to myself that I would keep my m157 on stock tune with the ultimate intension to move onto W213 E63s after a year or so. But now and then I get that itch to visit MSL for a map 🫣🙂
This was/isy plan yet I'm wondering with how good it is now would it only make it better and it would be rude not to right?

Assuming here that yours is a 6.3?

It must be a 5.5....take much more than a remap to get 625 horses out of the naturally aspirated 6.2.

Edit....just checked on DVLA....its a 5.5TT.

As mentioned already there are also options with regard to what level of stage 1 map you’d like. Most good Tuners will know that the default map to offer on the M157 is between 650-680bhp. This is mainly driven by the fact that in the early days of remapping the M157, it was incredibly easy to go for over 750bhp and 900lb/ft. However, a couple of years afterwards there were stories appearing about engine failures etc, which could have been caused by the remap (e.g. too much boost low in the Rev range = high temps). On this basis the map was toned down. This doesn’t mean to say an M157 can’t be remapped to 700 plus safely, as it can, but it needs a lot more work to check that knock, fuel pressure, timing, fueling and temps are all optimal in order to create a safe map.

For the record MSL / BFT etc were the first to change their maps as a precaution, however due to the quality of their map writing I don’t think they had issues with the earlier maps, it was mainly Tuners who “sold” pre written bought in maps.

With the above and then all the other variables mentioned, e.g. plugs, filters, fuel, oil and not forgetting HP fuel pump etc, then it’s easy to see why the results aren’t the same every time. If I’m honest then I am always sceptical when a tuner posts numbers on a certain turbo engine and they are almost identical every time. On NA engines yes this is possible.

Going to SRR is a good idea. But make sure you go back post remap. The dyno dynamics dynamometer that Charlie uses is different to the one at MSL, so it’s likely the readings will be different. A Dyno is only a guide.

Hope this helps
Perfectly said

Is the sports seat optional extra on the w213? I see most of them have the comfy seats.

Is the sports seat optional extra on the w213? I see most of them have the comfy seats.
They look epic & I think they're standard in the 63s & as that's the model I intend to purchase - happy days..!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom