• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Any of these E63 M157 belong to members here?

The throttle pedal works both ways though. My old E39 528i could get very sideways in the rain if I was being silly....and that was only about 200hp!!

I'd be tempted with at least a remap to change the way the power is delivered in other driving modes. Its been set up to be a bit too lazy at initial input. I'm all for more power as long as I'm the only driver. Wouldn't want the Mrs trying to drive a tuned car. What I absolutely loved about my c63s compared to the w212 is how the power delivery was calibrated with the throttle input and the dsc. Its far more engaging than the E, Feels like a far more unhinged car even though its down substantially on power and torque. That's what makes a car exciting for me. Ultimately I won't tune it because I'll probably get rid of it for a prefacelift s213 e63s or another s205 c63s soon enough. I won't need the extra comfort in the suspension as my son is a bit older. I just think AMG really upped the driving experience in their newer cars and they let you feel far more on the edge vs the older models.

Mostly...

The 204 C63 is artificially throttled as standard and a simple remap lets it have the power it was designed to have (and does in the E63). The power delivery goes flat over 5krpm from the throttle restriction so it's also about how it feels to drive, not just outright power.

Yes....its a very simple restriction.....the throttle plates only open about 75% of the way compared to the E63 212 model with the M156......cant have the "cheaper model" quicker than the expensive one!!

Last edited:
I wouldn't say I'm a big fan of the 212 built in laziness in the comfort and sport driving mode power delivery. In comfort mode I appreciate its great for winter and slippery driving eg in the wet, its an extra insurance policy, but I think sport mode could have been mapped to be a bit more punchy. I dont like to abuse sports plus for general drives in case the computer starts to dilute it too. Take a s205, the throttle mapping is far more aggressive and the dsc is very aggressive and exciting and the nose will be pointing NW or NE without much effort and i didnt much think i'd like more power at lower speeds maybe when doing higher speed pulls but it's a car that keeps you on the edge of your seat if you're pushing at at even just 7ths. It's exciting enough to get you to respect the throttle pedal and is highly engaging.

Whereas even if the stock 212 I have is dynoed with around 560+ wheel horse power, i do feel it needs to be remapped to wake it up and make it feel more sporty even if a remap wouldnt be adding any HP.

Take the w213, it's not as comfortable as an M5 but boy it is more riotous and outhandles it too believe it or not. That's the AMG I'm a fan of. The wilder post-2015 AMG products excite me more than the older more sensible stuff even though the older ones have more glorious engines.

Whereas even if the stock 212 I have is dynoed with around 560+ wheel horse power, i do feel it needs to be remapped to wake it up and make it feel more sporty even if a remap wouldnt be adding any HP.
A remapped W212 Biturbo is a completely different car to a stock one.
The acceleration is on another level.

This one is easily pushing 726bhp, which is a lot of power from a simple tune and exhaust mod. Assuming all stock internals, I wonder how long the conrods will last before they bend? 🙈

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Its the piston rings that go on these, scoring the bores as they go!

Was watching these interesting video. If the conrods do bend on the M157, the scoring is more likely to have been done by the sides of the piston, not so much the piston rings? The video refers to major and minor trust sides pressure experiences and its also shown tight at the top end between the conrod and piston. Had no idea pistons were slightly of a conical shape, very interesting. Suppose melted piston rings could do some scoring?

Not mine, but very nice! Although not keen on the pops and bangs... no need on this car, just makes me think of hot hatch boy racer try hards 😁

Interesting one of the stage 1s made significantly more torque than the stage 2 decat...
Agreed on this! I don't think it suits the character of the car at all, but each to their own i guess!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom