anyone used the android OBD scanners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darkchild101

Car
Mercedes C250TD
I noticed some android OBD apps are available cheaps. Has anyone else used them and what was your experience with them. I plan to use cautiously and report any codes reported here to see if it rings a bell with more experienced members

I use Torque on Samsung S4 and it works very well.

The BlueTooth ELM scanners can only read generic OBDII codes so don't cover the whole car, but it does cover basic engine and transmission faults.

My Autel MaxiDiag can also read MB specific codes such as Airbag/SRS and ABS/ESP, but it is a handheld device and much more expensive than the BT ELM.

And of course niether compares to MB STAR....

I too use Torque, been using it for about 2 years now with no problems, found it to be great across Seat, Ford, Volvo, BMW, Lexus, Saab and Mercedes.

I too use Torque, been using it for about 2 years now with no problems, found it to be great across Seat, Ford, Volvo, BMW, Lexus, Saab and Mercedes.

Agreed, easy to use, informative, can be customised, saves data etc. Just be aware that you will not get the same type of data from each manufacturer.

I use Torque on Samsung S4 and it works very well.

The BlueTooth ELM scanners can only read generic OBDII codes so don't cover the whole car, but it does cover basic engine and transmission faults.

My Autel MaxiDiag can also read MB specific codes such as Airbag/SRS and ABS/ESP, but it is a handheld device and much more expensive than the BT ELM.

And of course niether compares to MB STAR....

So how do you interface with the car. i have a w202 1997 c class

Last edited:
I've used 2 versions of the ELM 327 - Bluetooth version with Android phone using Torque & USB version connected to a laptop running Windows 7.
Plus an Autel Maxiscan AL319.

As above how do they interface with the older cars, mine is 1997 c class

I've used 2 versions of the ELM 327 - Bluetooth version with Android phone using Torque & USB version connected to a laptop running Windows 7.
Plus an Autel Maxiscan AL319.

Are the codes easy to interpret or did you have to post them here

Can someone tell me where the OBD port on a W221 (MArch 09, pre-facelift) S class would be?

Ah apparently it's under my dashboard. Will do some research, and have added The item Conquistador mentioned to my Amazon wishlist.

You can buy a OBD II device from several stores either with Bluetooth or WiFi support (or both perhaps?).

Here is a device that I personally have/use - works like a charm with 3-4 Android devices that I have; Mini Small Elm327 Obd2 Obd-ii Bluetooth Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics and with several/all apps I've tried including Torque.

Of course, you need a OBD port in your car.

which do you reccomend especially for an older 1997 car

Dashcommand for me lots of different fuctions as well as code reader

which do you reccomend especially for an older 1997 car

I do not have any experience of such an old car (my oldest is an 2004 W168), sorry! But the items in the links I gave you were quite fairly priced so maybe you could try and see? I would make sure that the adapter is the correct one for your car first though.

As above how do they interface with the older cars, mine is 1997 c class

May not be able to, needs OBDII port and protocol. Was introduced in 1996 but there was a slow phase in, for instance BMW E39s did not have it on early 1996 models, I think it was 98/99 it was installed. On a W201, particularly a pre 98 W201, I doubt an OBDII reader would work.

As it is, not all codes are available anyway, my Merc is the first car I've seen where I can't read the ECU for live data on emissions and numerous sensors around the car. I can get MAF, engine temp, throttle position etc, but there are lot of test cycle stuff missing.

For those of us it does work for, it is simply a little OBDII bluetooth dongle, that plugs in to the OBDII port, then in the case of Torque app on my phone, I jsut turn on Bluetooth and GPS, connect to my phone and voila! can now view and reset PO codes, view speed, calculate torque and BHP (based on several user entered details about the car), 0-60 times.

Last edited:
I got a cheap Bluetooth ELM type reader that works with my android phone.

Ok on an '02 S500 W220.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom