Asbestos brake pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do they really? Can you qualify that statement?
Biggest problem is that it takes decades for any symptoms to show up. No way to tell if it was asbestos brake wear parts or building insulation foam when it was 20-30 years ago.

We all know about the risks, but I thought you were going to supply some facts about garage mechanics in general contracting asbestosis.

Strange how in the USA they were still supplying cars with asbestos brake linings until very recently...or still are.

"For example, in March 2007 a car mechanic here in the UK received a no win, no fee compensation payout of £300,000 after making a mesothelioma claim for the cancer he developed as a result of working with asbestos brake pads in garages in the 1970s and 80s."

From the no-win no-fee link?

"For example, in March 2007 a car mechanic here in the UK received a no win, no fee compensation payout of £300,000 after making a mesothelioma claim for the cancer he developed as a result of working with asbestos brake pads in garages in the 1970s and 80s."

From the no-win no-fee link?

I did see that, but is it fact or just marketing?

So...one mechanic claims damages after a lifetime of dealing with asbestos...how many people have been car mechanics?

It's a fact. There's many more than 1 mechanic with asbestos related diseases.

If I get the time I'll dig out some HSE mortality survey data.

I would not take the risk with exposing myself to asbestos - however small the quantity.

Rake C, Gilham C, Hatch J, Darnton A, Hodgson J, Peto J. (2009). Occupational, domestic and environmental mesothelioma risks in the British population: a case control study. British Journal of Cancer; 100(7):1175-83.

Hodgson JT, McElvenny DM, Darnton AJ, Price MJ, Peto J. (2005). The expected burden of mesothelioma mortality in Great Britain from 2002 to 2050. British Journal of Cancer; 92(3): 587-593.

McElvenny DM, Darnton AJ, Price MJ, Hodgson JT. (2005). Mesothelioma mortality in Great Britain from 1968 to 2001. Occupational Medicine; 55(2): 79-87.

Hodgson JT, Darnton A (2000). The quantitative risks of mesothelioma and lung cancer in relation to asbestos exposure. Annals of Occupational Hygiene 44(8): 565-601.

Hutchings S, Jones J, Hodgson J (1995). Asbestos-related diseases. In: Drever F (ed). Occupational Health: Decennial Supplement. London: Her Majesty’s Stationery Office: 127-152.

Hodgson JT, Peto J, Jones JR, Matthews FE (1997). Mesothelioma mortality in Great Britain: patterns by birth cohort and occupation. Annals of Occupational Hygiene 41(suppl1): 129-133.

Peto J, Hodgson JT, Matthews FE, Jones JR (1995). Continuing increase in mesothelioma mortality in Britain. Lancet 345(8949): 535-9.

Jones RD, Smith DM, Thomas PG (1988). Mesothelioma in Great Britain in 1968-1983. Scandinavian Journal of Work Environment & Health 14(3): 145-52.

Greenberg M, Lloyd Davies TA (1974). Mesothelioma register 1967-68. British Journal of Industrial Medicine 31(2): 91-104.

Palfrem, since you seem to be up on health and safety stuff can you tell me why used engine oil is carcinogenic but unused is not?

Is this just a legacy warning left over from the days of leaded petrol?

It's the products of combustion bound up in the oil along with metallic compounds and the like.

I think the top nasty are the polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons that are known to cause skin cancer from repeated contact

I think the top nasty are the polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons that are known to cause skin cancer from repeated contact

Note that word...!

You keep on about car mechanics contracting asbestosis, but all drivers were subjected to asbestos material in brakes and clutches and did any of those contract asbestosis?

Yes, repeated skin contact with used engine oil. The skin is a very effective barrier.

The lungs are not.

A single inhalation of dust containing asbestos fibres is potentially sufficient to cause an asbestos related disease maybe 30 to 40 years later.

Driving a car is it very unlikely you would breathe in asbestos fibres. When you are braking you are usually inside the car and the fibres will be liberated to the air. i.e. greatly diluted. Same with the clutch plate - they are normally encased.

It is when the mechanic liberates the asbestos fibres by blowing out the drums in the relatively confined space of his workshop that problems can (and do) occur.

WorkSafeBC Videos - Asbestos - Tue Sep 11, 2012

You may not be familiar with the mechanism of the way asbestos causes disease - this video is very informative.

I suspect you will never be convinced of the dangers of asestos. Carry on.

It is when the mechanic liberates the asbestos fibres by blowing out the drums in the relatively confined space of his workshop that problems can (and do) occur.

How many home mechanics blow brake linings clear with an airline?

We all know that asbestos CAN cause asbestosis, but the risk is incredibly low unless dealing with it regularly.

Can you give any examples of DIY mechanics contracting asbestosis?

We all know that asbestos CAN cause asbestosis, but the risk is incredibly low unless dealing with it regularly.

The Twin Towers in New York only collapsed once, but over a thousand people have died due to inhaling the toxic dust that everyone witnessed on the news, including Donna Summer. How many of us would have denied this was possible before the event?

Russ

Dieselman - You may well consider the earth to be flat but, honestly, I just can't be bothered to debate this any longer.

Dieselman - You may well consider the earth to be flat but, honestly, I just can't be bothered to debate this any longer.

Why is it when you can't find any evidence to back your claim, you start throwing insults?

I have personally worked on cars with asbestos friction materials, as most people will have done.

The Twin Towers in New York only collapsed once, but over a thousand people have died due to inhaling the toxic dust that everyone witnessed on the news,

Now, I might be wrong here, but I think there was a bit more dust there than a single set of brake pads can create...No? :dk:

Once again, this forum has gone off into the realms of fantasy land instead of sticking to reasonable reality.

Once again, this forum has gone off into the realms of fantasy land instead of sticking to reasonable reality.

Well, you started it! :p

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom