Asbestos brake pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How many home mechanics blow brake linings clear with an airline?

We all know that asbestos CAN cause asbestosis, but the risk is incredibly low unless dealing with it regularly.

Can you give any examples of DIY mechanics contracting asbestosis?

Not so...

A very good friend lost her mother to asbestosis. Her father was a builder all his life and was probably exposed to asbestos in his early work life. He lived into his 90s, his wife died at 75.

Individual susceptibility/physiology has a lot to do with it.

Dieselman said:
...I have personally worked on cars with asbestos friction materials, as most people will have done.

As have I, for some years. However as (I hope) you are healthy you were apparently luckier than me. Stay this way.

I am obviously not suggesting that I know what was the cause in my case, everything is possible and the link of my C to Asbestos in medical literature is still a subject of debate - ultimately it all just statistics on top of statistics.

And while I do agree that the dust from one set of pads will probably not make a huge difference, I think there is also a moral dimension to it - personally, I would not want to be a contributor, even if only in minute part.

So the world will probably not come to a halt if the OP uses the Asbestos pads, but if it was me I wouldn't use them in spite of being heavily invested in them to the tune of £4.95 .

Just to clarify, these pads turned out to be the wrong type so are not going on the car.

The thing is that my initial forum post was not if I should use them or not but what the legality of them being sold to me was, anyway all a bit of a moot point as its not cost effective to return them so they will live in the back of the garage until they become a collectable item :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom