Attempted theft of the SEC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
simple solution - get one of these:

http://www.aclifts.com/parking/pss-7.asp

all this talk of the car going straight out the country reminds me of when my SL60 was nicked. I thought the same thing but the car was actually driven round north london for several months, picking up bus lane fines, speeding fines etc etc, but strangely being missed by ANPR-wielding police.
It finally turned up on a council estate within 10 miles of my house.

Don't expect the police to do ANYTHING to help you. They are a waste of time.

Fantastic link!!

I remember seeing something similar many years ago, but installed on a driveway rather than a garage. I wonder whether it seals, to stop water gathering in the hole?

If you're building a new garage but have limited space it would be great - or indeed in the driveway - but imagine retrofitting it to an existing garage though!!?? :eek:

How I would love for the Metropolitan Police to turn round and say, "Rubbish!" but KLP has already tried that avenue.

No one should ever expect the Police to wave a magic wand and solve every crime, every misdemeanour, but to give in without raising a finger, without even making a token gesture justifies nickg's comments. :devil:

John

Fantastic link!!

I remember seeing something similar many years ago, but installed on a driveway rather than a garage. I wonder whether it seals, to stop water gathering in the hole?

Americans generally live in wooden houses with basements.

all this talk of the car going straight out the country reminds me of when my SL60 was nicked. I thought the same thing but the car was actually driven round north london for several months, picking up bus lane fines, speeding fines etc etc, but strangely being missed by ANPR-wielding police.
It finally turned up on a council estate within 10 miles of my house.

These are a big deal in jersey where land is at a premium im lead to believe :)

I was working on the car quite late last night fixing the misfire problem. By the time i finished it was close to midnight so i didn't bother putting the car in the garage, as i wanted to take it back up first thing in the morning.

At 3am i heard a noise outside, i'm normally a heavy sleeper and my room is at the other end of the house. I looked out the window to find a flatbed trailer van parked outside and 2 people under the hood of the car! I switched the lights on, ran downstairs but by the time i got out of the house they were back in their van. I did run back inside and grabbed the keys for S Class and pursued. By the time i got to the end of the road i couldn't tell whether they went left or right, so i went left but didn't find them.

Luckily they haven't damaged anything, they forced the driver's side window down to gain entry. The window is broken, but the regulator is damaged. They have removed the alarm siren, ignition barrel and cut through some wiring near the battery. There is a very small scuff on the leather on the driver's seat.

Police weren't in the slightest interested. They haven't sent anyone round to inspect the car!

I've spent the entire morning fixing the wiring and regulator. I have the car fully functional again, but its just headache i don't need. I'll need a new regulator, the old one clunks when i open close the window, and i'll need a new ignition lock. Will be driving with a screwdriver instead of a key!!

Well the car's back in my garage with a car blocking it in, so chance of it going anywhere.

Your very lucky that they did not get away with it.

Back in the mid/late 80s when the W126 was in production quite a few used to go missing from the owners drives. A neigbour back then also had his 500SEL taken from his drive. Unfortunetaly, the W126 was easy for thieves to hot wire and take.

Fantastic link!!

If you're building a new garage but have limited space it would be great - or indeed in the driveway - but imagine retrofitting it to an existing garage though!!?? :eek:

Theres a place in Teddington on the bridge , some office or other and the whole car park is done out with these ... above ground though ...

The first people in drive onto the ramps and then get out , the ramp then raises up and opens up the parking space beneath ...

Like on a car transporter ....

Theres a place in Teddington on the bridge , some office or other and the whole car park is done out with these ... above ground though ...

The first people in drive onto the ramps and then get out , the ramp then raises up and opens up the parking space beneath ...

Like on a car transporter ....

Theres also a new development of appartments overlooking the river at Richmond and the underground car park there has them too. Don't think I would get the work van in it thought!

Absolutely gutted. Thankfully they did not get it. I always register my cars at my work address. This way if they clock the number plate it ain't going to be there. regards, Graeme

Absolutely gutted. Thankfully they did not get it. I always register my cars at my work address. This way if they clock the number plate it ain't going to be there. regards, Graeme

I have done exactlt the same! None of my cars are registered at the address they are kept at for this very reason.

Ordered a new ignition barrel @ £58, but a 6-8 week wait for one. All in all i think i'm extremely lucky in how little damage was done. Apparently its impossible to get the ignition barrell out without the key, it basically involves stripping part of the dash out. If they had damaged my leather dash, i would have been gutted. There are no signs of any damage on the bodywork/interior so i've been extremely fortunate.

There are no signs of any damage on the bodywork/interior so i've been extremely fortunate.
I think that highlights even more how professional these folks were. Hopefully your key will still operate all the locks.

Good luck
John

Last time I looked, you can get a complete CCTV kit with 14 day recording from four cameras for around £200 from CPC - pretty easy to fit and set up, and well worth investing in. These store the data on a local hard drive, and can be plugged into the PC to review the records. For around £300 you can get a network enabled version, where you can log in and review the historical data straight from your computer (or even from somewhere else via the internet, if you set it up right and take care to properly secure the system).

I would be happy to come over and help set the system up if you wanted help. Things like this drive me mad. You have a lovely car, which deserves to be protected and looked after ;-)

-simon

get a pir activated floodlight in your driveway mounted high enought to prevent tampering. fit a 240v relay in parallel with the floodlight, run twin core cable from the com and n/o relay connections into your bedroom. get a plug top timer, a 12v plug top psu and a loud 12v buzzer. set the timer for your bed times, ie 11pm to 6 am or whatever, plug the psu into the timer and wire the buzzer to the psu through the wires from the relay contacts. if anyone enters your drive during the night the buzzer will sound waking you up. then you can deal with them in whatever way you want to. its not a complete solution but that in addition to other measures shoul give you the best chance possible.

Park the SEC on the drive again tonight....

...only this time have the local baseball team in a van opposite :devil:

get a pir activated floodlight in your driveway mounted high enought to prevent tampering. fit a 240v relay in parallel with the floodlight, run twin core cable from the com and n/o relay connections into your bedroom. get a plug top timer, a 12v plug top psu and a loud 12v buzzer. set the timer for your bed times, ie 11pm to 6 am or whatever, plug the psu into the timer and wire the buzzer to the psu through the wires from the relay contacts. if anyone enters your drive during the night the buzzer will sound waking you up. then you can deal with them in whatever way you want to. its not a complete solution but that in addition to other measures shoul give you the best chance possible.

sounds great but outside my house we get foxes and cats etc and i wouldnt want to be woken up for that!

Obviously you're going to have to look at your vehicle's security now. If it was a professional job you may be worried about parking it up elsewhere, so I'd seriously consider a transmission lock like Saabs have, and also a tracking device.

But the easiest thing to do is going to be to install steel bollards on your driveway. If they can't remove the bollards, the car will be going nowhere.

I'd seriously consider a transmission lock like Saabs have,

The aftermarket ones are excellent, the ones on Saabs are not.!

Saabs are the most stolen car in Manchester. The advice from the tactical vehicle crime squad is "If you have a Saab, don't park it in Manchester".

Damn! Sorry to hear this KLP92.

I've been lurking for some time on here and other forums, following the progress of your SEC.

Have to say - as others have too - sorry to hear about it. 'Tis one gorgeous car, and its just annoying to think some people can't just admire it, but want it so much, as to steal it.

It appears some a-hole tried to get in to my E-Coupe recently, but gave up for some unknown reasion, leaving a knackered chrome trim surrounding the passenger's window and a damaged rubber seal......*******s!
They're the type of people you'd just love to despense your own justice upon! :devil:

You say you have a Cat 1 alarm and Cat 2 immobiliser....How's about going for a tracking device, just in case! (It can lower your insurance, too, I believe)

Hope the SEC is back to normal sooner rather than later! And as you say, it could been a whole lot worse!

Darren

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom