Audio 20 / COMAND on 2018 E Class (differences)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's another option, your car might have Navigation 50, which again is a different system... Best run the VIN on an online VIN Decoder, it will show what Navigation option was supplied with the car when new.

If you car has the Becker Map Pilot, then it will reside inside the glove compartment, and can be removed from the car and connected to a PC using Mini-USB cable for the maps (and also firmware and software) update.
So... inspected the glove compartment and found no box. Went to the centre console where there is a slot at the back of it and if there's a card in there it doesn't seem to want to come out... I don't want to get brutal with that in case I break something...

So... inspected the glove compartment and found no box. Went to the centre console where there is a slot at the back of it and if there's a card in there it doesn't seem to want to come out... I don't want to get brutal with that in case I break something...
Checked the VIN - gave me a fright as it shows the build date as 12 Dec 2011, so it's older than I thought. Not registered until 18 Jan 2013, so looks like it hung about a bit. The navi unit appears to be Connect 20 high (NTG7) - well that's what the decoder says,

I'm thinking that maybe you have Navigation 20... does this look like the system you have?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm thinking that maybe you have Navigation 20... does this look like the system you have?

Hi Mark
Many thanks - Yes it does, seems like it can do a lot more than I thought! Now the question is "how do I update the map?"

Hi Mark
Many thanks - Yes it does, seems like it can do a lot more than I thought! Now the question is "how do I update the map?"
There's been a development... I was going through "stuff" that came with the car (I've only just got it) and I found a DVD set for Audio 50 APS 2011. This seems to conflict with the information on the datacard. I was wondering if there's any buttons I can press on the car that will give me the actual version? My experience of the local MB dealer doesn't instil any confidence that they'll get it right if I take the car there...
I'm confused!

At this point I am not sure if you have Navigation 20 or Navigation 50... The issue with VIN decoders is that the option number and the option description are collected from two separate databases. If you Google the option number (e.g. 528 etc) you might find that it has different descriptions for it (i.e. not 'NTG7').

As far as I know the maps should be on a DVD, which is wither in the CD slot in the headunit, or in the glove compartment, or somewhere in the boot - look for a standalone optical drive.

At this point I am not sure if you have Navigation 20 or Navigation 50... The issue with VIN decoders is that the option number and the option description are collected from two separate databases. If you Google the option number (e.g. 528 etc) you might find that it has different descriptions for it (i.e. not 'NTG7').

As far as I know the maps should be on a DVD, which is wither in the CD slot in the headunit, or in the glove compartment, or somewhere in the boot - look for a standalone optical drive.

I'm not sure either. The DVDs that came with the car say Navigation 50, but for all I know they may have been bought by a previous owner and found to be incorrect. There are four of them, I assume for different markets. I'm going to have a look in the boot - see if anything's there. Thanks for your time so far!

In any event, whether Navigation 20 or Navigation 50, there will be a DVD somewhere - either in the head unit's CD slot, or in a separate optical drive elsewhere in the car.

In any event, whether Navigation 20 or Navigation 50, there will be a DVD somewhere - either in the head unit's CD slot, or in a separate optical drive elsewhere in the car.
It may sound daft but if the DVD is in the head unit wouldn't that stop you from playing a music CD and navigating at the same time? Anyway, it's monkeys out there so I'll have a look tomorrow...

It may sound daft but if the DVD is in the head unit wouldn't that stop you from playing a music CD and navigating at the same time? Anyway, it's monkeys out there so I'll have a look tomorrow...

On some units, the maps DVD is permanently inserted in the HU, and there's an external CD-changer in the glove compartment or the boot for playing audio CDs.

But I don't know if this is the setup also on your car.

I braved the elements and had a good look. No DVD in the Head Unit. Nothing in the glovebox, nothing that I could see in the boot. There is a slot in the centre console, but I can't work out what type of device it is - there doesn't appear to be anything in it, or if there is, I don't appear to be able to get it out. So it seems that maybe the map has been loaded and is now resident in memory (which is the way it all worked in my previous W211, but that had Comand and a 6 disc CD changer in the dash).

I braved the elements and had a good look. No DVD in the Head Unit. Nothing in the glovebox, nothing that I could see in the boot. There is a slot in the centre console, but I can't work out what type of device it is - there doesn't appear to be anything in it, or if there is, I don't appear to be able to get it out. So it seems that maybe the map has been loaded and is now resident in memory (which is the way it all worked in my previous W211, but that had Comand and a 6 disc CD changer in the dash).

Unless you have COMAND, I don't think that any of the other systems had internal HDD. Certainly not the Audio20 of that era.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom