Becker Map Pilot or Comand on W204 ?

Becker Map Pilot with Audio 20 or Comand.

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Def only five digits in my manual which is worse than useless, since you might as well just enter the town and then key in street, etc. I cannot believe that such a sophisticated system costing a ridiculous two thousand quid from a premium brand car maker does not accept a full postcode. It's not as if postcodes are new!

You seem to know everything but it might be useful for some others to note that this COMAND does support full postcode entry for almost everyone, just not for you in the UK. ROW is mostly using 5 digit post codes (I admit that this makes postcodes a bit useless for navigation, but every country has a street address that can be used for navigation and is more accurate).

MB is introducing support for full UK postcode, it just looks like the UK could change to 5 digit codes more quickly than MB is able to extend their UK support.

COMAND does support full postcode entry for almost everyone, just not for you in the UK.

Oh well, that's OK then, just as long as you don't live in the UK! Thanks a bunch MB...suppose we should be grateful they bother to give us RHD cars!

Depends on the version of COMAND...

Both my wife's 2009 SLK & my 2011 W212 have full 7-digit postcode capability.

Sorry, should have made myself more clear. The NTG4 as fitted in W204 only accepts 5 digit postcodes.

I find this quite strange as it is one of the newer design COMAND systems. (I'm guessing here clues being NTG4, and the W204 is only what 4 years old?)

Can't comment on the Becker bit because I haven't used it, but Comand is def worth it. I use the Linguatronic function all the time. Saves looking down at a busy dashboard. Also, whatever you decide you must get your priorities right. Whatever gps you have, you must have the Harmon Kardon. Too many have discovered too late that without the HK, you have a bland stereo system. As far as DAB is concerned, I only ever now listen to that band particularly for the sports stations, and there are other stations not available on FM/AM etc. on there. So, I advise making your choice according to whether it can include HK and DAB. Finally, I have been driving a brand new C350 sport estate for a couple of months with a Comand unit that would not accept 7 digit postcodes. Yet, my new W212 Comand does accept 7 digits! Don't understand why there should be a difference as they are both new units???

Regardless of 5 or 7 digit postcodes, what is even more surprising is that in a premium brand SatNav is an extra!

OK, I just voted in your poll, and had to go with the Becker with DAB and Harmon Kardon. Because it really doesn't matter which sat nav. It is far more important to have DAB and HK. Really, it should be Comand with DAB and HK!

I have gone for Comand Online, Harman Kardan and DAB. With the £500 cost of the upgrade it has cost me £50 more than Becker with media interface ( which is standard with Comand ) and the HK and DAB. The Comand is 7 digit postcode as is my SLK Comand only thing is whether you can use linguatronic to enter UK postcodes. You can use linguatronic with European number postcodes but not UK mixes number and letter postcodes on my SLK.

The wife currently has a brand new C250 CDI Sport Saloon demonstrator to try out (800 miles on clock), fitted with COMAND Online System, can confirm it accepts 7 Digit UK Postcodes.

I seem to be in a minority of one of those who cannot get on with Comand, but if I was p--sed off before I was steaming today trying to find an address in Southampton. The system took me through a park and on to what was little more than a cart track. Such a thoroughfare just should not be a sat nav option. Then it took me on to an estate where it got completely lost. Arrived at a T junction and it insisted I go straight ahead :wallbash: Gave up in the end after going round in a circle and reverted to my Garmin which took me straight to the door :dk:

Goldfish11 said:
The Comand is 7 digit postcode as is my SLK Comand only thing is whether you can use linguatronic to enter UK postcodes.
I can confirm that on my W212 I can use linguatronic to enter a 7-digit UK postcode.

The Audio-20 with the 6CD changer has the fibre optic (MOST) port. The Audio-20 without the changer does not. In order to have Media Interface, HK, DAB, TV they need to connect to the fibre optic network. Thus you need minimum of Audio-20 with 6CD changer if you want Media Interface, HK, DAB, TV.

Having used Media Interface, I would not be without it.

There does not (yet) seem to be an iPod kit for the facelift W204, so again another reason why you should get the Media Interface at least.

Also, retrofitting DAB is significantly more expensive that factory fit, so assuming FM does get switched off in a few years time, DAB may well be an important option.

Richard

Sorry, should have made myself more clear. The NTG4 as fitted in W204 only accepts 5 digit postcodes.

I find this quite strange as it is one of the newer design COMAND systems. (I'm guessing here clues being NTG4, and the W204 is only what 4 years old?)

5 digit post codes
Comand 2.5 (in 1999 W220 S class)
Comand 2.0 (in 1999 W211 and then in W208/W163/W203/W209)
NTG1 (first in 2002 W211 E class)
NTG2 (around mid 2004 as W203 facelift happened)
NTG4-W204 (pre facelift) 5 digit post codes (W204 & SLS)

7 Digit post codes
UMI/Nav 20 for W204 NTG4
Comand NTG2.5 (mid 2008 onward for 'Model Year 2009')
NTG4-W212 (I,e W212/W207) (2009)
NTG4.5 (MY2011 facelift C class) (2010)

I don't know about NTG3/NTG3.5 (S/CL) but if I had to guess NTG3 has 5 digit and NTG3.5 7 digit based on when they were introduced)

Richard

So audio 20 is also showing album art. Do you have the media interface with 6 CD included? It would be good to know if you get album art displayed when using your iPod as you do with the full Comand system?

Petje Do tell us as much as you can about the functionality of the new audio 20. If you can insert a few pictures of the screens for navigation and music on this thread it would be awesome ;)
I have Audio 20 with single CD and Becker I can not get Album art to display using USB port with a memory stick, ripping CD album from windows medial player to the memory stick. How have you got album art to show on your screen?

I only have the audio20 with map pilot.
So no media interface...
But i have a USB and aux connection in the armrest.

So only tryed it with an usb stick and not with an ipod.
But he shows the mp3tag.

Wil try to make some pics soon...
I have Audio 20 with single CD and Becker I can not get Album art to display using USB port with a memory stick, ripping CD album from windows medial player to the memory stick. How have you got album art to show on your screen?

I have gone for Comand Online, Harman Kardan and DAB. With the £500 cost of the upgrade it has cost me £50 more than Becker with media interface ( which is standard with Comand ) and the HK and DAB. The Comand is 7 digit postcode as is my SLK Comand only thing is whether you can use linguatronic to enter UK postcodes. You can use linguatronic with European number postcodes but not UK mixes number and letter postcodes on my SLK.

Good choice. Enjoy.....

st13phil said:
I can confirm that on my W212 I can use linguatronic to enter a 7-digit UK postcode.

Excellent, hopefully Comand in the facelift w204 will allow linguatronic entry of uk postcodes.

i dont know about the command system, i got my facelifted Class C with becker system and i cant save my locations "my own favourites list"

It's an old thread but anyway...

I have S204 C220 CDI T Elegance BlueEFFICIENCY, 2013. As we know, there are two versions of display size. A 5.8-inch 400x240 display is standard with Audio 20 and also 7-inch 800x480 Comand APS. There is not much written on the internet about that. A year of manufacture of a car has nothing with this. You can find a car that is 2011 year with bigger screen than 2013...

Here is the link that I found so far: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/pictur...ft-hands-on/5/

My question is: Is it possible to replace 5.8-inch with 7-inch display? I want to stay with Becker, what I want is just to replace the current 5.8-inch display with bigger one 7-inch (including plastic mask to fit).

comparison_746354cce23e7f81b615215a430df66d033f5442.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom