Audio 20 - missing album art (only some are displayed)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenzC180

Car
C180
Hello,

Got myself a brand new C180. I chose to drop the COMAND I had in my previous car (way too expensive for what it is).

In my previous car, I used a 32GB USB stick to play MP3 music. I have added album art to all of my audio files, and the COMAND system had no problems to display the album art.

When I use the same 32GB USB stick in my new Audio 20, then I get only for 5-6 songs album art, and all others will show the default empty artwork.

Because COMAND had no issues whatsoever to display the album art I believe that I don't suffer the problem where artwork is linked to a database, rather than it being embedded in the file. When I open the mp3 files in Mp3Tag the artwork shows up fine.

My album art is 300x300 pixels for all of my songs, and is a mix between jpg (majority of them) and png (few of them), and all artwork are below 100kb in filesize.

What else can I check to find out why the majority of my album art is not displayed anymore on Audio 20?

Looks to me the artwork is not embedded on all songs. I have audio 20 and had the same problem and took me ages to get them all sorted. It is possible that command uses some sort of db similar to iTunes for the art work and that's why it used to work.

My music was on iTunes and I had to use a script to embed all the artwork plus some had a size which was too big to be displayed. After sorting those, 100% of the music on my 64gb drive works fine.

Search the forum for the iTunes script if you need it. Details have been posted before.

I've seen the iTunes script, but since I don't have my music in iTunes, it's not useful for me.

I've searched all of my album art manually on Google Images, and I've added all of them manually with Meka MP3 Album Artwork Tool. I would be very surprised that COMAND had exactly the same covers for all of my songs (I use the single CD artwork for the song, not the full album that contains the song).

Also, I've deleted the folder that contains all the album artwork images, after I've added them to the files, so there's no file to load afterwards, it's gone.

So all of that makes me 100% certain that the album artwork is embedded in the file, and not stored in some database. If you have a tool where I can verify this, I'm happy to give it a try to take away any remaining doubts about that.

Seems to me that there is another issue in my case.

New to this forum, first post.

I got my C220 with Audio20 at the weekend and this has been doing my head in.

The conclusion I have come to so far (might be wrong, standing to be corrected)

The Audio20 appears to work differently to the Command.
The Command uses a database to link album art to the track file, like iTunes.
The Audio20 requires the album art to be embedded in the audio file.
You can do this with MP3tag.exe, downloadable from t'internet

I was still having inconsistency, some showing album art, some not.
It appeared that the apple M4a file would play okay but not show album art, whereas the mp3 files showed album art consistently.
So converted a sub set of my music for the car to only mp3's and now they all show album art just fine.
Used a free MP3 converter, downloaded. Much quicker than iTunes and not confused iTunes

Hope that helps

Looks like what I was sure was not the case, is definately the case...

If I select an mp3 in MP3Tag, I can see the album art, and it will also list a path (which does not exist since I've deleted all album art after adding it).

If I open the tags screen, then export the album art to a file, delete the album art in MP3Tag, then add the exported file again and save the tags, then this path is gone when I view the properties of the mp3 file.

So it looks like the Audio20 is giving a priority to this path, even when the cover is embedded (because it's really nowhere stored on my computer, I'm really sure of that). Probably a bug with the MEKA tool?

Anyway, I'll have to go through all of my mp3 files again, to fix this issue and enjoy my cover art again in the car.

Thanks for the help and advice!

Bet it's due to image size.

The Audio 20 will only handle 500px x 500px IIRC.

No, it's not the picture size. All of my cover art is 300x300px.

Yesterday I tried with a selection to re-add the cover art with MP3Tag, and now all of those show up in the Audio 20.

I'm sure that the cover art was embedded before, since I use specific cover art (eg the single cover art, not the full album cover art). COMAND was able to display that cover art just fine, so I doubt that it was coming from a database. Every other player was able to do the same.

I suspect a bug with the MEKA MP3 tool that I've used. In MP3Tag I could see the cover art, but also an invalid path reference to the cover art file (files were deleted long time ago on that path). I solved this in MP3Tag, by exporting the cover art to a file, removing the cover art on the mp3 file, re-adding the exported cover art to the MP3 file again. After that, the invalid path reference was gone, and the cover art was displayed correctly in Audio 20.

So I'll have a lot of work to do this for all of my MP3 files, but at least I know now how to fix it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom