Automatic Transmission Fluid Change,Any Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

surebet

Car
C180 ELEGANCE SE
My w203 is now 9 years old(owned from new) and has always been serviced at Mercedes, 40K on clock. I am only covering about 1500 miles per year now. The B service due is now showing on dash. The car drives great,auto box still very smooth on gear changes. The cost of B service is quite alot and I am aware mercedes may say the ATF and other things may need changing due to the mileage, which will bump costs up. With the car driving fine and the small mileage I am driving has anyone out there any advice on whether I should just get the basic B service done or spend alot more money for all the extras. Has anyone any experience(good or bad) of running automatic gearbox for more than 40K without automatic fluid change. Look forward to any advice.

I had my ATF changed at 75k miles , and the difference is just unbelieveable.

Gearchanges are so much smoother , even at full chat.

Best £160 i've spent for a while.

Whatever it costs it is still far cheaper than a replacement gearbox. If you intend to keep the car then do all you can to look after the mechanocal.

I agree

Mine was changed and its like a new gearbox, so so so much smoother you actually probably forget how smooth it should be.

I first thought £150 or what ever is a lot of money would I be able to tell etc??

My cars on a few miles now though (130K) and i think looking back in the history only changed once?

My wifes B class says it needs a change and too be completely honest I doubt I would notice the difference in that. The CVT box is so smooth anyway. However Gearbox's are exspensive and the oil change not so to help preserve the life its worth doing.

Assuming its the first ATF change the box has had--it is the most important since since any wear particulates are most likely to be generated in the initial bedding in process. Its possible you could extend any subsequent change to a longer mileage interval --- to say 100,000 miles easily

Thanks for advice

Thanks for all advice, looks like I will have the ATF renewed, should I stick to official Mercedes dealer or go to independent. Live between Glasgow and Edinburgh, can anyone suggest where I should take it and normal cost for this type of job.

Oops, I think I just maybe sent you a pm by mistake grober, sorry If I have. I paid £120.00 + VAT against the delaer quote of £299.00 +VAT which they later tried to lure me in with at £199.00 + VAT. Service book has had the work done noted too "which is nice". Gawd bless Indie's...

Hi surebet, I can't pm you, prob' due to postcount but an idea of price is in my post above. I thought it was very worthwhile having it done to be honest and the general consensus seems to bear this out too. Bets of luck with it all...

Thanks smudgelab for advice, don't know if you are in my area, if you are can you let me now which indie you used.

service

If you can afford it go to the Dealer but at £370 or so for a B service you would be better to find either an independant or a Merc Tech wanting some extra pocket money, you will save a fortune and still keep your car serviced well. Just dont use cheap stuff, buy the MB filters etc:thumb:

Has anyone had this done anywhere in the midlands?
I've a 2001 S203 Kompressor with 166k on the clock and would like it done sooner rather than later, not just the 3.5 litres but the full 8 litre flush through.

Any advice and prices would be great.

Sorry I don't know how to do a link but if you go back to the main page it is 15 threads down from your last post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom