Back from my Europe Trip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Be assured that the some of the western side tunnels would have the other Dazzlers on the edge of their seats, I doubt they would be bored, not sure why they would be cold and damp..

It was cold and raining in Riva (before they got in the car) :)

As I recall, the autobahn south of Stuttgart is de-restricted and rumoured to be used by MB and Porsche for test driving. It also brings home the extra judgement required when driving at 100mph plus. I found all drivers approaching me while I was in the outside lane overtaking were courteous and efficient, I was never tailgated with headlight flashing, I guess quite a few were at 140mph or more, 100 is enough for me otherwise I'll suffer mental damage from SWMBO.
I'll be on that stretch in June, but Mrs KE will actually be encouraging me to test out the 155mph speed limiter :thumb: She's as nuts as me!

knighterrant said:
'scuse ignorance. What's an "Umwelt sticker"?

Essentially it's an emissions compliance sticker, you need one in many German cities now.

'scuse ignorance. What's an "Umwelt sticker"?
As A-AvantGarde says, it's an emissions sticker. Without one you will be fined if you enter many German towns (including Stuttgart).

There's information about the Umweltplakette on the TUV site here, together with a link to an online order form. If you're not going until June you have time to get one via the TUV site, but personally I found it easier (and €6.50 cheaper) to get it when I arrived in Germany. All you need to do is take your V5C and €6 to a test station or, as I did, to a Mercedes-Benz dealer (as long as you don't have to drive into a Low Emission Zone! to get there) and they will issue you one on the spot. As a courtesy I took a colour copy of my V5C for them to retain so thay didn't have to take a photocopy of my original.

Beware that there are many sites on the web that offer this €6 sticker for the bargain price of €35 or more. Don't get suckered in.

I know what you mean about those tunnels :eek:

You need to be further up in the hills for the best views: take the SS240 from Riva del Garda up to Storo, then the SS237 south down the edge of Lago D'Idro to (err...) Idro, then the SP58 / SP113 down to Gargnano and the Garda lakeshore. The final section as you drop back down to the main lake offers great views :thumb:

Thanks for the info - just looked at the above route via Storo, seems like a good day out and a visit to Brescia.

You need to be further up in the hills for the best views: take the SS240 from Riva del Garda up to Storo, then the SS237 south down the edge of Lago D'Idro to (err...) Idro, then the SP58 / SP113 down to Gargnano and the Garda lakeshore. The final section as you drop back down to the main lake offers great views :thumb:

I'll definitely do that drive this year. However, if you climb to the white ruin overlooking Riva, (about an hour) the views are good, and there's a cafe up there.
effbee584-albums-my-mercs-picture7021-riva-del-garda-white-tower-ruins.jpg

Thanks for all the info st13phil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom