Best bulb upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Osram.jpg

The bottom bulb is the original Nightbreaker (NBR)

The top bulb is the 'longer-life' model Nightbreaker Unlimited (NBU)

In between they also had Nightbreaker Plus (NBP)... and now they have the Nightbreaker Laser (NBL) which is their latest model.

Bulb Lifespan:

- Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited/Laser H7 - B3 = 150 hours, Tc = 250 hours

- Osram Original Line H7 - B3 = 350 hours, Tc = 550 hours

- Osram Original Line Long Life H7 - B3 = 450 hours, Tc = 930 hours

B3 is the number of working hours that 97% of test samples reached.

Tc is the point where only 37% of test samples were still working.

The actual anticipated life span of any bulb is somewhere between the two.

Anyone got any updates for this in the 2 years since the last post was made? I've just put some Ring 150 bulbs in for dipped headlights and if I hadn't changed them myself I'd think they were the same bulbs.

To go against the grain i put Philips racing vision in last and they seem fine i had nightbreakers before.

Hi Chris,

"Fine", or a definite improvement?

thanks

Martin

I have Osram Cool Blue in the Merc and Osram Nightbreaker in the Volvo, honestly I prefer the NB, they give a whiter light and a longer beam than the Cool Blue, don't know about longevity, only been in a few months

I have nightbreakers in my C, they are marginally better than Philips, but not much in it. Both much better than the standard.

Trouble is because so many cars now are HID or LED it makes you think your lights are crap. But then when you're on a dark road on your own you realise they are absolutely fine.

Trouble is because so many cars now are HID or LED it makes you think your lights are crap. But then when you're on a dark road on your own you realise they are absolutely fine.

No, I don't think so. I noticed it being particularly bad when I was heading up the A68 towards Edinburgh the other week. I barely felt safe at normal speeds, had to slow down to about 45-50mph.

I've had NB Ultimates in my dips for a couple of years now, no failure (touch wood) and they're on all the time. Also have NB Lasers in the mains, don't find them any better than the Ultimates so IMHO not worth the extra money. Both are considerably better than the standard bulbs they replaced.

I think it is currently illegal to have retrofitted LEDs as headlamps, but I am not sure. I think it is only permissible if the LEDs are factory-fitted.
mmm..., interesting. In that case I have been breaking the law for the last 7 years in my GT4 as they have LEDs though they have passed the same number of MOTs. Now, putting in HID bulbs are a bit squiffy as it'll only pass an MOT if you have a headlamp wash system fitted, so they would cause an issue. (Which is why when I had them fitted, I use to swap them out for MOT purposes)

No, I don't think so. I noticed it being particularly bad when I was heading up the A68 towards Edinburgh the other week. I barely felt safe at normal speeds, had to slow down to about 45-50mph.

Have you got nightbreaker in? They do make a difference.

Here we go again, retrofitting HID's and LED's, legality of same.....

Popcorn - check
Beer - check
TV controller - check

I'm ready, let battle commence!! Not sure if it's on here, t'other side or both where we have a knowledgeable member who can give chapter and verse on the subject - which has been debated many times on both forums!

I have Osram Cool Blue in the Merc and Osram Nightbreaker in the Volvo, honestly I prefer the NB, they give a whiter light and a longer beam than the Cool Blue, don't know about longevity, only been in a few months

That's weird , Ozzy Cool blue are around 4200K and NB around 3700K .

I've had NB Ultimates in my dips for a couple of years now, no failure (touch wood) and they're on all the time. Also have NB Lasers in the mains, don't find them any better than the Ultimates so IMHO not worth the extra money. Both are considerably better than the standard bulbs they replaced.

We now have Ozzy Night Breaker Laser NEXT GENERATION !!

Here we go again, retrofitting HID's and LED's, legality of same.....

Popcorn - check
Beer - check
TV controller - check

I'm ready, let battle commence!! Not sure if it's on here, t'other side or both where we have a knowledgeable member who can give chapter and verse on the subject - which has been debated many times on both forums!
I'm a naughty boy, I could care less about the legality, I leave that up to the Police & MOT guys to rule on. All I know is that my LEDs are bright, 100 times better than a Victorian style 'filament' bulb, and because the headlamps have been properly adjusted, don't blind oncoming traffic...
bulb comparison.jpg

I'm a naughty boy, I could care less about the legality, I leave that up to the Police & MOT guys to rule on. All I know is that my LEDs are bright, 100 times better than a Victorian style 'filament' bulb, and because the headlamps have been properly adjusted, don't blind oncoming traffic...
View attachment 81246
Yes it's technically illegal, but LED convestion in Halogen headlamps will pass an MOT.

On a practical note, you are unlikely to get into trouble with neither the police nor the MOT.

There's a potential issue in the event that you are involved in an at-fault accident where the pay-out is siginifact (typically when the other party is claiming for personal injury), your insurer might inspect the vehicle and spot the conversion then try to invalidate your policy due to undeclared modification. But even in this remote eventuality, they will need to demonstrate that the undeclared modification was in fact a factor.

In summary, prsonally I wouldn't do fit an illegal mod, but I am well aware that the chances of actually getting into trouble over this in the real world are very small.

In summary, prsonally I wouldn't do fit an illegal mod, but I am well aware that the chances of actually getting into trouble over this in the real world are very small.
Guess it's s state of mind, having run an illegal CB radio installation in the late 70s long before it became legal LOL Oh, I did get caught then, and had all my equipment confiscated by the local constabulary! Great days...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom