Blanking off repeators

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Im about to get some new wings and as I have blinking mirrors I want to permanently shut off my side repeators.

At the moment I still have a W5W bulb in place, but im thinking if I cut off the bulb holder and solder the + & - wires together that would work? or would this in any way effect the bulb out system/short it?

Thanks!

Isn't the bulb effectively just a link in the circuit? I dont think it should cause you problems but then again, someone with more autoelectrics experience may say something better.

What are you doing with your old wings?

I think you will need to have a resistor in place to emulate the bulb... measure the bulb's resistance using a multimeter.

Try unplugging a wing indicator to see what happens, I think it will be fine as there is very little draw from the sides. On my 202 I wired them up to the door mirrors but the LEDs draw nothing at all in comparison.

I've fitted my blinking mirrors on my pre-facelift w202 but still need to wire in the indicator. The wiring has a thick rubber casing, now dunno to cut through this then extend the wires to the mirror indicator or splice into the wiring from the rear indicators.

Hi,
If I was removing the side repeaters I would remove the loom completly from the car, and make good the wiring, though I believe the loom to the side repeater just plugs in, you could just leave the loom and lamp holder behind the wing and wheel arch liner just tape over the lamp holder to stop any debris from shorting it out, there is no need to replace with a resistor or the like as the indicators are not monitored by the bulb failure system.
NWmerc Splice into the wiring going to the rear indicators, no need to touch the existing side wiring, you can earth one side of the 210 mirrors behind the kick panels with a self tapper, and pick up the rear indicator wiring in the cable ducts either side of the car.

the side repeater just piggy backs off the corner indicator, have a look... you can just remove it... it wont put on the warning lamp.

I'd trust Jay.

If the bulb on your wing went out, would it throw a problem ?

An open circuit there should show no problem but a short circuit (connecting the terminals) is a completely different kettle of fish.

Take off the wing repeater and see what happens. Take it from there.

The bulb has resistance which limits the current flow. A piece of wire has, for all practical purposes, no resistance. It's putting a short circuit across the battery.

Why, wouldnt this just complete the circult like a bulb would?

The circuit is complete when passive but when active with current the bulb element changes the resistance and acts as a current draw as it creates light.

Shorting it out does none of this and will only create problems.

Thanks everyone for their replies, I cant currently test removing the wing bulb as its still sealed behind the wing until I fit the new ones (next week). - Dont worry I wont be shorting it :)

I've fitted my blinking mirrors on my pre-facelift w202 but still need to wire in the indicator. The wiring has a thick rubber casing, now dunno to cut through this then extend the wires to the mirror indicator or splice into the wiring from the rear indicators.

I wired them up from the rear indicator wire by opening up the rear passenger kick plate up as below:

IMG_20110802_192719.jpg

Then feed the wire back up through the front footwell, into the door connector and up through the door... takes a while! but this bypasses all the bulb out sensors.

In terms of the wings, are they readily available without the holes?

Im getting the holes filled in at the same time as they are sprayed.

the side repeater just piggy backs off the corner indicator, have a look... you can just remove it... it wont put on the warning lamp.

^^^ correct for my 124 and my 107 so i cant see 202 being any different

Good effort with the door mirrors and so on. Maybe not so much on the scotchlocks... That would be you would want to get the soldering iron out!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom