• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Brake discs & pad wear

Delboy0127

Car
MERCEDES S213 E CLASS E220 D PREMIUM AMG LINE ESTATE 2017
My car has covered just 25500 miles from new.

The front discs have developed furrows all across each disc approx 4 m/m wide. Note these are not lines they are furrows you can see and feel the ripple on the disc surface. As a result the braking efficiency has deteriorated.

Mercedes have inspected and say this is normal wear and tear, meaning I have to pay for replacement.

Is 25500 miles fair wear and tear.

Your views comments welcomed please.

my E63 discs and pads needed replacing at 30000 miles, mind you I had been doing some runway runs and a few laps of Goodwood :D

Are the discs drilled? Very common to develop furrows.

As above, normal wear for drilled discs, all new Mercedes have horrific brake wear im afraid, I have done front discs and pads on a c220 at 17k!

45000 in my 320 :)

will need doing soon though.

Mileage is not a very good way of comparing brake wear.

You can cover many Motorway miles with only occasional use of brakes, or your short daily commute to work might take you through streets with a long succession of speed bumps and traffic lights requiring frequent use of brakes.

I had discs wear in the past at well under 20k miles of city driving. And I know of drivers who get 50k out of theirs. So as said, very difficult to compare. So 25k is not unreasonable, depending on how and where the car is driven.

I have to say I am surprised that the OP thought for one moment that MB would pay towards replacing a wear and tear item such as brakes when they have no control over how they are used.

With the removal asbestos from brake pads some years ago the new compounds used in brake pads are much more abrasive and disc replacement cycles more frequent.

Your usage is normal, my wifes car has done 28k and has the furrows on it. 212 350 cdi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom