C124 entrance sills replacement - OEM or "upgrade"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercboiuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
1995 E320 Coupe
Evening all!

I know! Yet another 124 "upgrade" question from me to you :eek:

Much time and many feet passing over them has left my original entrance plates a little worse for wear, and the silver stripes are starting to come away from the plastic bases.

So I guess I have couple of a choices.
Should I attempt to source some new (if still available) or good-conditioned used original spec ones?

OR....

Shall I get some aftermarket upgraded ones?
Whilst trawling through ebay, I stumbled on to these from CKS Performance.
Does anyone have experience of these type of upgraded items, specifically relating to the product's quality, their robustness and of course the asthetics when installed?

Opinions and experiences most welcome, as you have all been a great help in the very recent past :)

Darren

Last edited:
I had illuminated sills on my w124 coupe , they looked cool.

Shop around , you might be able to get them cheaper than that , CKS aren't renowned for their competitive pricing.

I had illuminated sills on my w124 coupe , they looked cool.

Shop around , you might be able to get them cheaper than that , CKS aren't renowned for their competitive pricing.

Hello Howard.

Do you know anywhere else which sells them?
I've browsed German, French, Dutch, US and UK ebay with little success. There is either nothing available, or it's even more expensive :(

Darren

I think, original from MB are 80 quid perside!

i was too thinking of getting some stainless steel ones. still thinking, but as ive got some fresh ones from the donor ive got im going to keep original.

the stainless steel arent bad looking. ive seen them in the flesh. Would you go illuminated?

That's alot for a bit of plastic and thin metal! It makes those CKS ones look pretty good value.

I've only ever seen one car with stainless (non illuminated) entrance plates, and they weren't the greatest quality - the fell off every time the door was opened and fitted over the original items.

I've never seen the illuminated. I'm undecided as to whether they would look good or not.
I think the stainless look would be a good one, though.

Darren

Either way what ever you choose, these sills are only ever designed to fit over the top of the original sills. sort of like a cap.

..thats the con!

That doesn't sound too promising :crazy:

So would there be a chance they could end up like the ones I saw, where they are constantly falling off? :crazy::crazy:

Darren

If you clean the existing sills properly ( ie with acetone ) so that the new sills adhere properly , you'll have no problem.

I couldn't pull mine off once they were on , let alone knock them off with my foot when getting in and out.

I got mine from Ebay US i think .

Darren:I've stainless ones on my car and I think they're good,never went for illuminated ones as I feel is like you're trying to make your car look modern
Don't know if any good but aka$h has some AMG ones for sale

Another thing that can be done to the original sills is you can peel off the aluminium strip carefully and have someone re-manufacture them. The logic behind would be the original strips will be used as a template for the workman to cut out new ones.

..or you could just give him measurements and they will cut to size. These sils have one thick stipe and one thin one. Using a template would be better imo.

Either way what ever you choose, these sills are only ever designed to fit over the top of the original sills. sort of like a cap.

..thats the con!

Are you sure?....Cant see how the door would shut if this was the case....

Works fine on mine!

whitenemesis-albums-my-s203-picture2630-front-sill.jpg

whitenemesis-albums-my-s203-picture2631-front-illum.jpg

Are you sure?....Cant see how the door would shut if this was the case....

not sure on the newer variant MB's but the sills ive seen for the 124 are 'cap overs'

They do look good, and as far as i know the door still opens and shuts without interference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom