C207 E-Class Coupe discussion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carabosse

Car
(C205) C300 AMG-Line Coupé
I hope to take delivery of my C207 (350CDI) some time next week. I am a first time Mercedes owner. :)

It would be really good to hear from other C207 owners about the car: hints, tips, quirks etc. It is a slightly unusual car in the MB range, it seems to me, being badged as an E-class but based, as I understand it, on a C-class chassis.

Also if there are any general Merc oddities, it would be interesting to hear about those too. I am aware of the foot operated "handbrake" but maybe there are other unusual aspects as well.

It will be two years in early July, since we took delivery of our 350CDi coupe.
Cut long story short, our son was near enough 7 at the time, was big enough to get in/out on his own, so decision was made - lets go with 2 door again.

Few weeks after taking the delivery, wife announced 'I am pregnant' and I thought, 'oops, this is going to be interesting'. Family of four, including a new born, in a coupe, this is going to be a disaster.

But it wasn't.

Thanks to really long door, that open near enough at 90 degree angle I am still surprised how easy it is to get in and out the car. ISOFIX base plus interchangeable child seat did the trick just fine and made access/egress rather bearable.

The car has currently done around 26k, this includes three trips to Poland and local driving. I know I might be bit biased, but I still absolutely love it.
There isnt a single angle, from which I would look at it and think to myself 'this is bit odd and out of place'. I honestly think that E-coupe is one of the most beautiful cars Mercedes ever made. It is very practical, quite economical and very comfortable on the long runs.

I know that all petrol-heads believe that diesel is the fuel of the Satan, but 265bhp, plus significant amount of torque makes it no slouch. Yes there is a slight turbo lag off the stop line, but when it kicks in, it does it in a very impressive way.

The handling is faultless, quick cornering, apex to apex on the roundabouts make it as solid and stable as it would be in a straight line.

Front tyres had to be changed at 24k, rear at 15k.

Servicing cost are very manageable too. I opt out from servicing pack, and the A service set me back at £220 and the quote for B service came to £295.

Most of miles done on the car, were in the local traffic, shopping, school runs (forgotten to add, this is my wife's car). Even then, the car will return around 34mpg. On the longer journeys, e.g. 200 miles, I have seen the trip computer indicating mid forties.

Regardless of speed, the car feels very stable and it is very quiet. The only two points I would raise are, foot operated handbrake, and the front spoiler is tad low, where by the time we learnt how low it is, it got scratched on each corner (underbelly) against the kerbs at local store.

All in all, we are very pleased with it and if it wasnt for kids growing and needing more and more space, I would probably swap this one for another coupe when the time comes to get rid of it.

PS. Are you the the same chap who used to be on the BMW car magazine forum?

Thanks both - and Cinek your detailed reply is much appreciated; in response to your PS, I was forum admin of BMW Car from 2002-2003 and of Performance BMW from 2002-2013 (until a few weeks ago in fact!). So moving over to Mercedes is perhaps a bigger deal for me than most! ;)

Would love to hear from other C207 owners. :)

Thanks both - and Cinek your detailed reply is much appreciated; in response to your PS, I was forum admin of BMW Car from 2002-2003 and of Performance BMW from 2002-2013 (until a few weeks ago in fact!). So moving over to Mercedes is perhaps a bigger deal for me than most! ;)

Would love to hear from other C207 owners. :)

What made you going away from beemer?

In my case, it was our local dealer who literally pushed me away with their lazy, arrogant attitude.

I wanted a car fairly similar to the BMW 335i coupe but one which is a more comfortable ride and one which does a little better than 23mpg!

The E-class coupe (350CDI version) just seemed to fit the bill. There's also the old saying "A change is as good as a rest". After 11 years of driving BMWs it is all too easy to make that one's default brand, so to speak.

I have had remarkably little stick from the BMW forums. :D

A few of them drive Audis on BMWC. PBMW is much more hardcore though and only one member has an Audi - and nobody, but nobody, drives Merc..... until now!

I expected to be asked whether I'd had to show a pension book before being allowed to purchase a Mercedes. Lol! :D

A few of them drive Audis on BMWC. PBMW is much more hardcore though and only one member has an Audi - and nobody, but nobody, drives Merc..... until now!

I expected to be asked whether I'd had to show a pension book before being allowed to purchase a Mercedes. Lol! :D

I was never a member on PBMW, only on BMWC since about 2007, but then again, the last BMW I had was in 2009.

Still visit the BMW forum (recently changed again), some good chaps on there and good advice is offered.

I would say that E-coupe is on the far end of the spectrum away from OAPs, and I am sure you will enjoy it as much as I have.

Any options on yours?

The car has currently done around 26k, this includes three trips to Poland and local driving. I know I might be bit biased, but I still absolutely love it.
There isnt a single angle, from which I would look at it and think to myself 'this is bit odd and out of place'. I honestly think that E-coupe is one of the most beautiful cars Mercedes ever made. It is very practical, quite economical and very comfortable on the long runs.

Thanks for this comprehensive post. I am thinking of moving to an E Coupe from my current C204. However, I drove a courtesy E-cabrio recently and found it very firm which on longer runs could play havoc with my back! It could be the combo of sports suspension with larger wheels that caused the issue. How have you found the car in this respect?

Thanks for this comprehensive post. I am thinking of moving to an E Coupe from my current C204. However, I drove a courtesy E-cabrio recently and found it very firm which on longer runs could play havoc with my back! It could be the combo of sports suspension with larger wheels that caused the issue. How have you found the car in this respect?

Mine is sport, with standard 18 inch wheels.

The ride is not as smooth as say 7-series I had previously, but at the same time I would not rate it as hard. The seats are very supportive and snuggle you in.

The shape of the seats will firmly hold you in, even at high speeds through corners. There are plenty of ways to adjust them, which will ensure most ergonomic position for each driver.

Any options on yours?

To be honest I'm not sufficiently familar with the car to know what is standard and what is an extra-cost option but the spec is a Sport with 18" wheels, which is standard, and it has these - some of which might be options:

COMAND, Parktronic, Tracker, Tiptronic, Electric memory front seats, full leather, AMG alloys, AMG body kit, reversing camera, DAB radio, Active Lane Departure Assist, ESP, Blind Spot Assist, Memory Package.

Mine is sport, with standard 18 inch wheels.
The ride is not as smooth as say 7-series I had previously, but at the same time I would not rate it as hard.

From a BMW with 19" wheels and M-Sport suspension, I think I will find it less hard! ;)

That's certainly been my experience so far as both a driver and a passenger in a C207. The surface of the road I live in is very rough but when I drove over it in the Merc.......... I thought the council had done the road up at last! :D (No such luck).

COMAND, Tracker, Electric memory front seats, , reversing camera, DAB radio, Active Lane Departure Assist, Blind Spot Assist, Memory Package.[/COLOR]

Those are extra, in other words - very nice spec :)

Those are extra, in other words - very nice spec :)

Thanks - it's useful to know what's extra and what's not! :)

I see you, like me, live in Herts. Maybe our cars can meet each other one day! Lol! ;)

Anyway here are a few pics - the dealer's not mine. Not sure they capture the colour spot on, it's a really subtle hint of blue in silver.

Merc-1.jpg

Merc-2.jpg

Merc-3.jpg

Merc-4.jpg

Thanks - it's useful to know what's extra and what's not! :)

I see you, like me, live in Herts. Maybe our cars can meet each other one day! Lol! ;)

Course, why not, where abouts are you from?
I am form Stevenage.

Re- pictures, I like yours better as it is face lifted :)

Congrats on the Purchase the 350cdi engine is an absolute gem and incredibly underrated as a performance engine.

I own a C350cdi and in standard guise is dispatches Quattroportes from the lights. Mine wears a LH800R kit and is an absolute weapon ! really needs to be driven to be appreciated.

Once again, Enjoy !

Mine is March 2011, and there was an update in June 2011 - which is what you will have.

Mine is March 2011, and there was an update in June 2011 - which is what you will have.

Many thanks - you are mine of useful info. :) I had no idea there had been an interim facelift.

BTW, I'll PM you once I have the car. I live in S.Herts (on the border with Middx). Would be nice for the two C207s to meet up - a bit of a rarity compared with BMW 3-series.

No worries bud :)

Re face-lift, I am not sure on every bit updated, but from what I remember, there was a power and torque increase with CO2/mpg improvement as well (that alone was a great bonus).
The dash board display was made prettier and the steering wheel got an update too.
Also, the LED day lights got changed.

Not sure what else...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom