C220 CDI - What MPG?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian_Mac

Hi Guys

Just bought my first Mercedes and so far enjoying it very much. Basically I wondering what sort of MPG to expect from it, it's the car in my sig below a 2002 reg (51 plate) C220 CDI currently has a tad over 48k on the clock with service history etc.

Round town the computers showning around 30mpg and that's driving very carefully, this is mainly 3-4 mile journeys from a cold start to the gym and back. On a recent trip up north it averaged 42mpg on a 300 mile motorway run again not venturing much over 70mph and with cruise on a lot of the time.

To be honest I was expecting a bit more from a diesel, was I being a bit optimistic?

If these figures do seem a tad low are there any common areas that should be looked into?

Thanks

50Mpg can be coaxed from these certainly, theres plenty of posts of people showing off their speedo displays :D

Hi Guys

Just bought my first Mercedes and so far enjoying it very much. Basically I wondering what sort of MPG to expect from it, it's the car in my sig below a 2002 reg (51 plate) C220 CDI currently has a tad over 48k on the clock with service history etc.

Round town the computers showning around 30mpg and that's driving very carefully, this is mainly 3-4 mile journeys from a cold start to the gym and back. On a recent trip up north it averaged 42mpg on a 300 mile motorway run again not venturing much over 70mph and with cruise on a lot of the time.

To be honest I was expecting a bit more from a diesel, was I being a bit optimistic?

If these figures do seem a tad low are there any common areas that should be looked into?

Thanks
Your urban figure seems about right taking cold starts and short runs into account.
I regularly get 50 mpg plus on motorway journeys, steady driving around 70mph.
In most cases I guess fuel consumption is directly proportional to the weight of the right foot !

it's showing 5k till the next service. whats Millers, never heard of it before, is it a readily available - ie Halfords jobbie?

Must admit I've not checked the tyre pressures since I got the car - will get it done pretty quickly!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...oreId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1&x=0&y=0

Hope the link works

Lovely car by the way - shiny wheels!!!

Several threads on Millers, I use it in my 60K car and it is quieter. As a cleaner it is supposed to improve efficiency yada yada yada.
Worth a tenner in my mind

Regularly get 50 plus (upto 55mpg) on a decent motorway run, so you should - right foot allowing, see that.

PS closer to 40mpg round town

Have you also reset the mpg counters? You may find they are showing the previous owners/drivers average.

Also, worth doing a manual mpg check, based on fuel used and mileage, rather than the fuel computer which can vary

Yeah I reset the counters before my trip up north.

Cheers for the info on the Millers, I'll give it a try and see if it helps.

I have had a new C Class Elegance 220CDI until March and more recently a CLK 220CDI. I commute 40 miles up the A3 to South London and back. I averaged 37 MPG in the C Class and 35 MPG in the CLK. Not as good as I imagined but not bad.

Last edited:
Give it a blast every now again, ideally up a hill so that's the engine under load - you may need to keep it in a lower gear (is it an auto, but the way?) otherwise you'll be going far too fast!

yeah mines an auto. got the standard or winter setting button on it.

Does driving round in winter mode ie when it's pulling away in 2nd and changing at lower revs (according to my user book) make much difference to the economy?

Your MPG sounds normal for a 220CDi.
The most I've managed is 59.1mpg on a dual c/way, but it was a boring drive.
Normally my figures are the same as yours.

(using cruise control is not the best way to get high MPG by the way)

Russ

Last edited:
I also believe that cruise control actually increases your consumption... remember every time you use your brakes you're paying for it in fuel consumption...i.e. taking off speed you've paid to put on...

Do you use your A/C often? That saps fuel
Also I can see those lovely alloy wheels. However, they are probably the upgraded ones and alot wider = more tyre on the road = more friction = more fuel.
The figures quoted in brochurs & magazines are based on the standard skinny tyres.

I keep the air con turned off as much as possible, given the weather lately there's not been much need for it!

I'm getting the impression that I may have been a tad optimistic in thinking what MPG I would get. I was expecting around 40ish town and motorway with 50+ on a long motorway trip.

My old passat tdi 130 which Jabbasport remapped to 200bhp could to 60+ on the same trip up north and was a dam site quicker!

These engines take a lot of warming up - you might find your local MPG drops as the weather gets colder. I work from home, but sometimes use the Merc to take Mrs R into work - it's a 12 mile round trip and the car is really only thoroughly warmed up when I'm getting back home.

W setting on the box should make the car more economical, but it makes the car start in 2nd gear which, to me, just makes the car too sluggish around town.

There's a school of thought that you should accelerate reasonably quickly up to cruising speed, and then back off the gas as much as possible - just give the car little bits of gas to maintain the speed, don't push it on. Around town you should barely be pressing the gas pedal.

Regarding cruise control; its problem is that it can't take advantage of downhill bits to gain "free" speed, and it will push on up hills, where easing off a little would be more economical. It takes concentration to maintain a reasonably steady speed though, and cruise is overall probably a more reliable bet than trying to do it manually.

The Passat wasn't an auto (I assume) but, yes, they are noted for very good economy. People who moved to cars like Honda Accord from Passat are often devastated by the extra fuel consumption.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom