C32 AMG seems to be using coolant :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Apparently the leaking charge cooler problem is very very common and well documented in the US forums.
The made in Mexico, Garrett part often leaks at the welds. I've just bought a 2002 C32 and despite the previous owner being a good keeper I think I am now facing this issue.
However I read even a brand new replacement charge cooler will also often develop a leak as well. I could only find 1 aftermarket maker of the charge cooler ie Speeddriven in the US but they have gone out of business (apparently their coolers also leak!).

Apparently a leaking charge cooler is a very common issue with the M112K engine in C32, SLK32 and US Chrysler SRT6 cars.

I just bought a 2002 C32 and have now noticed a slow coolant leak.

The other common problem with our cars is the leaking Valeo radiator but the previous owner has changed mine to a Behr unit.

Sadly the leaking charge cooler is a very expensive fix. I'm considering just driving the car first with an eye on the water temperature and coolant levels always. Also to have a bottle handy in the boot.

This is while preparing to replace of course. That's the other issue since it seems brand new replacement units are prone to the same leaking problems too! And worse, no company makes aftermarket units.

I had the chargecooler leak on my C32 in 2008, when it was five years old. I fitted a Merc replacement and *touch wood* it has been fine since. I don’t know whether they improved them somehow?

If you unbolt one of your plenum chambers and look down the intake ports with a torch it’ll be obvious if that’s where the leak is. There will be crusty green deposits all over. Another common, but hard to spot coolant leak is the radiator bottom hose. It has a tee let into it for the chargecooler circuit and the metal bands that secure that tee cut through the hose over time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom