C43 Unusual whirring noise under braking from speed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boydem

Hey guys, wonder if anyone here can provide some insight into the cause of an unusual whirring noise from the front under heavy braking from speed. This is causing me and my mechanic a good bit of head scratching as we have gone through all the obvious and are now a bit stumped.

The noise isn't similar to any braking fault i am familiar with, we have eliminated warped discs, a damaged wheel, heavy brake wear, misaligned tracking, tyre tread noise, worn wheel bearing/hubs and prob some other stuff i can't remember having checked.

The only thing we think it might possibly be is that the noise is being caused by air channeling through the grooves on the pad something similar to what happens on drilled/grooved discs and the only reason we thought of this is that although the discs are very new genuine amg items the pads are aftermarket Ferodo items the previous owner has fitted but to be honest this is stab in the dark!

Anyone want to put in their two cents, please feel free to enlighten me.

Cheers - Ed

Last edited:
How heavy?? You may be cooking the pads, try some decent pads i think......Are discs definitely ok and definitely genuine AMG??

Not seriously heavy braking, i'm talking about "say" braking reasonably late for a roundabout coming off a dual carriageway or even just average heavy braking from speed nothing enough to cook the pads. The discs are definately amg items and are not warped.

Cheers

Last edited:
have you changed your tyres recently,under front end loading i.e braking,thet can react differently to the norm.just a thought.

So why don't you change the pads for Merc ones.

You can always keep the Ferodo ones for next change.

At least you will then know what it was if the noise stops.

That was the plan, just thought i'd ask first to see if anyone had experienced a similar problem or could suggest an alternative solution. I am considering putting in a set of performance pads i.e. ebc red stuff or similar, does anyone have suggestions or should i stick with Merc?

Cheers

Hey guys, wonder if anyone here can provide some insight into the cause of an unusual whirring noise from the front under heavy braking from speed. This is causing me and my mechanic a good bit of head scratching as we have gone through all the obvious and are now a bit stumped.

The noise isn't similar to any braking fault i am familiar with, we have eliminated warped discs, a damaged wheel, heavy brake wear, misaligned tracking, tyre tread noise, worn wheel bearing/hubs and prob some other stuff i can't remember having checked.

The only thing we think it might possibly be is that the noise is being caused by air channeling through the grooves on the pad something similar to what happens on drilled/grooved discs and the only reason we thought of this is that although the discs are very new genuine amg items the pads are aftermarket Ferodo items the previous owner has fitted but to be honest this is stab in the dark!

Anyone want to put in their two cents, please feel free to enlighten me.

Cheers - Ed

isn't this forum great!! :thumb:

Had the same experience last night - loud whirling/humming noise from front under relatively heavy braking - 3 in car with some luggage. Front tyres replaced recently so hopefully they are what caused it, i hope!!

Brakes do seem fine but not as precise as I had expected having read the C43 reviews - guess some new pads may be due but will get it checked out...

I would suspect the Ferodo pads are the cause. Try getting some MB pads (yes they make a lot of dust) and they are not bad at all either, but at least if the noise continues, you will have eliminated a possible cause.

Hi,
I think as others its the pads, as you say the discs are genuine MB.
I have red pads on my car and i hate them i find them noisy, and they have seemed to of left a coating of pad material on the disc, this is of course only my opinion others may disagree. But i know when they require replcing i,ll be buying OEM.

Doesn't Olly use the reds or then perhaps the greens?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom