• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

C63 vs CLS63 - my thoughts

ghibbett

Car
C63 AMG Estate
So this weekend there was an AMG event at my supplying dealership. They'd really put a lot of effort in as there were a good variety of AMG vehicles available to sit in and, for the most part, to drive. There were 3 C63s, an E63, CLS63, CL63, G55, SLS & SLS roadster, S65 & the new SLK55.

To give a little background, I have ordered a C63 Wagon, yet when I had my test drive a few weeks back, it was in a saloon. The car was brand new with less than 18 miles on the clock (I was the first customer to drive their new demo) and had 19" wheels. I thoroughly enjoyed the test drive, but was slightly surprised at how quiet the exhaust was in the car. I understand the saloon is quieter than the wagon anyway, but was still a little surprised.

Anyway at this weekends event I was invited to drive a C63 wagon (again, brand new!) as that's what I'd ordered. It was also on 19"s (I have ordered the option 18"s). The drive felt much the same as the saloon, although there was more exhaust noise reaching into the cabin.

Next up I went for a drive in a new CLS63. In some respects it was quite impressive, but others less so. It was certainly the nicer car to passenger in (I took turns driving with a friend) and, with the adaptive ride control, you could tailor the chassis to your mood. The ride was certainly better than the C63, but the car felt a lot softer on turn in and steering response. In slower corners and especially roundabouts, there was a lot less immediacy from the front end and a distinct lack of feedback through the steering. In fairness, I think this reflects the different natures of the sporty small C-class versus the more wafty mature nature of the CLS. Overall, if I was looking for a long distance mile-muncher, the CLS would stand clearly head and shoulders above the c-class.

The other interesting point was the engine. There's good and bad. The good is the noise; it's very different sounding to the C63 with a far less animalistic roar and without the pops and bangs, instead being replaced with a proper deep-chested woofly V8 rumble. I personally preferred the C63 sound, however the CLS is also extremely nice, and a great achievement considering the engines turbo-charged nature. I could understand people preferring the CLS sound to that of the C63.

However, performance...well it's difficult to say other than what you feel, but both I and my friend thought the CLS didn't feel any faster than the C63. There's good mid-range shove from the CLS, but there's also great performance from the C63 with the bonus of a distinctive extra pull at the top end, sadly something missing from the CLS. It would be very interesting to see some roll-on performance figures, which may well prove the CLS to be the faster vehicle, but it didn't feel it.

Finally, and this deserves a mention - fully in the C63s favour - is throttle response. What a difference between the two cars!! It's hard to comprehend two AMG vehicles being so different! Now I know that the CLS is turbocharged, but the magazines love to state how it doesn't even feel turbocharged, so good is the throttle response. Do these idiots even drive the vehicles they're testing? :wall bash: Even in S+ mode on the gearbox, the throttle response was tardier than the C63 in C mode.

When I returned from the CLS drive, the salesman I've been dealing with all along offered me another C63 saloon drive, however this time there was a difference; this car had done 8000 miles and 'could be driven a lot harder'. Well, it'd be rude not to! There was an added bonus - the car was on 18"s. As soon as we got in, I was instructed (!) to put the car in sport handing mode and told to really go for it. Admittedly for the first half of the journey I was more interested in seeing if I could detect any differences in the ride (I most definitely could - it's noticeably smoother), however once we hit the twister parts, I really let her rip. It felt beautiful steering the car on the throttle and reminded me of my old BMW Z3 M-Coupe in that respect. I need to find out if that car had the LSD option, but if it did then it looks like I may have to amend my order (again!).

However there are two further points that this drive highlighted:
1. Noise - the 8000 mile saloon was noticeably louder than either the brand new saloon or estate. Isn't it great having things to look forward too :D
2. Performance - it certainly felt quicker than the other C63s, although this was most noticeable above 4000rpm.

In summary it was absolutely fantastic (:D:D:D) and by far my best drive in a C63. It also *really* justified to me my purchase decision, hopefully allowing me to sleep a bit better at night.

Also this final drive of a C63 really put my CLS63 drive into perspective, hence my comments above.

Finally I would not say the CLS is by any means a bad car, it's just that we both felt rather underwhelmed by the experience. To put in into context, I am 32 and my friend 34, so perhaps we're not the target market and, in time, I can look back and think 'what the hell was I thinking'. But for now, it's a C63 for me. Roll on September - I'm so excited :bannana:

I must be the target age 'cos I love the CLS..... :D

Thanks for the very comprehensive post G, it is interesting to see how our opinions differ on the cars! I havent driven any of the new bi-turbo engines so can't really say anything. I'm used to having pretty much instantaneous power when I put my foot down! Have you tried any of the 55k engined mercs?

I found the steering response of the C63 vague compared to the CLS55. The car I drove has done over 5k miles so we could give it the beans, my friend and I found the exhaust to be very quiet, hardly any of the v8 soundtrack...

What I liked was the LSD it had on it, which meant I could put down the power without the TC flashing away as it does on mine and the MCT gearbox was really quick!

Dunno about the age group though, when I bought the CLS last year I was 29 :|

Lets be honest, AMG don't make a bad car. Both the C classes and I bet the new CLS/E63's are amazing fun.

Thanks for the very comprehensive post G, it is interesting to see how our opinions differ on the cars! I havent driven any of the new bi-turbo engines so can't really say anything. I'm used to having pretty much instantaneous power when I put my foot down! Have you tried any of the 55k engined mercs?

I found the steering response of the C63 vague compared to the CLS55. The car I drove has done over 5k miles so we could give it the beans, my friend and I found the exhaust to be very quiet, hardly any of the v8 soundtrack...

What I liked was the LSD it had on it, which meant I could put down the power without the TC flashing away as it does on mine and the MCT gearbox was really quick!

Dunno about the age group though, when I bought the CLS last year I was 29 :|

Interesting. It certainly sounds like the CLS55 and CLS63 could well be quite different to each other. The only way to find out is for you to now drive a CLS63 and post your own thoughts. Obviously your post must be at least as long as mine...:cool:

Oh, and regarding the instant response, I've not driven a supercharged Merc, but have driven supercharged Jaguars and Minis and, by nature of the way they function, there is no such delay as that in a turbocharged car. I would love to hear what you think of the CLS63 in this respect.

Lets be honest, AMG don't make a bad car. Both the C classes and I bet the new CLS/E63's are amazing fun.

Agreed, but I *personally* would say the C63 is more fun. But you're right, it's not like the CLS is rubbish or 'owt (not that I said that anyway). :thumb:

I drove both these cars last month on an AMG half day experience at Brooklands. Round the track the C63 estate was much much easier to drive quickly than the CLS. That said the CLS felt a much plusher place to be. You pays your money, you makes your choice. As said before, its not like either is a bad car, they are different. If you have a dog like I do then there is no point in a CLS :)

I'm 25 and I would take a CLS63 over a c63 anyday, driven both at the MB world track and for me the CLS is simply amazing, even though it's abit too big, I just loved everything about it specially the looks.. :O

This is true! The Pirelli's are awful. Have my eye on a pair of Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 2

best to have the same tyres all round ...

I am very impressed with my Conti Sport Contact 3.

Each to there own but i would have a cls63 next in a heartbeat!

Are they the same price?

CLS looks FAR more car than a C class saloon?

If you need an estate then thats different.

The C class is also pretty common now, I'm just collecting the last few cereal tokens for mine. :)

they are very different cars and i would have thought personal circumstances and needs would have dictated which to choose

i actually think its difficult to make a comparison of the two head to head

there is the small matter of a 30k price difference, but we knew that didnt we

^ I had no idea hence asking?

If thats the case how can you even consider to compare them.

I would think you right the target market for the C63 is probably a lower age group than a CLS63 on the whole.

they are very different cars and i would have thought personal circumstances and needs would have dictated which to choose

i actually think its difficult to make a comparison of the two head to head

there is the small matter of a 30k price difference, but we knew that didnt we

Strangely enough the c63 holds it's price better than the cls63 considering the cls was 30k more when new it represents great value for money second hand imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom