C63 W204 oil - 5w40?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I believe the 0W-40 variety can be used when driving in cold climates, otherwise it's going to be a 5W-40 with the MB 229.5 classification.
I was reading that MB says that the oils which say MB-229.5 approval do not in fact fully MB approval. Contents must mention "MB-Approval 229.5" on the packaging
BTW a lot of M156 engine owners in N. America use the LiquiMoly oil in purple bottles and add additives (Cerotec, etc.). LiquiMoly have now come out with a new generation oil under the name Molygen and in 5W-40 variety. The oil is green and has a UV dye which makes tracing leaks simpler. It also has added additives which make the engine seemingly much quieter. Those who have tried this new oil confirm this.
Found some further info in the Daimler site (see attached .pdf files)

Attachments

• MB 229.5 - Multigrade service engine oi...pdf
    340.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Spec_223_2.pdf
    369.5 KB · Views: 6
Forgot to mention in my previous post that my C63 uses the 5W-40 Liquimoly oil in the purple bottle. May go for the new Molygen at the next oil change.

Attachments

• LiquiMoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40.png
    LiquiMoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40.png
    729.5 KB · Views: 7
  • LiquiMoly Molygen New Generation 5W-40.png
    LiquiMoly Molygen New Generation 5W-40.png
    317.1 KB · Views: 6
There are far better oils out there than the mercedes brand and others that have been mentioned

There are far better oils out there than the mercedes brand and others that have been mentioned

Genuinely would love to know more bud. Like who says and what’s their evidence?

I just stick to Mercedes branded oil as its dirt cheap and easy to get hold of.

I have no doubt that oils are not all the same.

The question is, whether the difference is significant? What are the practical implications of having 'better oil'?

Less wear? This might benefit some future owner further down the line. That is, if the car doesn’t get scrapped well before the engine reaches the end of its service life, like most cars do these days.

I am all for good engine oil, but I personally I am looking for 'good enough' rather than 'the best'.

And any engine oil approved by MB for use in my car's engine, is good enough for me.

So the big question is , what do you use ?

Who, me? Whatever the MB dealer or garage chooses to use.

MB Temple Fortune used Shell Helix Ultra. MB Brooklands used MB-branded oil. Olly (PCS) used Mobil in my car. Terry (WG) used MB-branded oil.

Any thoughts on a 5w-50 type instead of the 5w-40 for use in hotter climates and conditions?

I don't know about AMG engines, but in the olden days - before full-synthetic oils were the norm - it was 10w-40 in most of Europe, and 20w-50 in southern countries (Italy and Greece), in North Africa, and in the Middle East.

Yes the Molygen 5w-50 is MB 229.1 approved and not 229.5 which is the one recommended for the M156 engine, but was considering the use of this 50 weight for summer driving (temperatures in the 30°c range and plenty of mountain pass fun

LiquiMoly Molygen New Generation 5W-50.jpg

This commonly-used chart shows that 50 oil is not really needed anywhere in Northern Europe (or the UK):

vbPGa02nIR

Even in Southern Italy, Spain, or Greece temperatures don't regularly exceed 40 degrees in summer, though in these countries you could possibly justify use of 5w-50 oil.

Interesting that 229.5 oil is not available in viscosity higher than 40? What are owners expected to do in places where temperatures go above 40 degrees in summer? Gulf countries etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom