• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Can I recover a word file

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
Hi

I have messed up badly. I was closing screens on Word, and seem to have closed the wrong document, saying no to saving. Had I realised what I was closing - I may well have said yes!

It looks like I have lost a days work so far - is there an Autosave location or anything similar which may save me?

I'm using Vista and Word 2007, with SBS 2003 chucked, in although I don't think that will help?

Hoping for a solution!

David

Have you looked within the Temporary files? Also look in the WINDOWS folder there is another Temp folder there, worth a try. Not familiar with Vista, still using XP at Home/Work.

I've done a search for temporary files - can't find anything. Stuff that I have not looked at says that when you close the file Vista is quite good at deleting left over tmp files.

Very frustrated but can only blame myself.

Computer Data Recovery Software: Data Recovery Checklist

Quote from website…
“The version of Recover My Files that is downloaded from our website is fully functional. It will allow you to preview the contents of the files that it has recovered from your computer. However, you must purchase a product activation key before you can save your files.”End quote.

You can see if this will find the file and let you look at it but you must buy in order to get your file back. Is it worth $69 .

Don’t use that machine in the meantime or you could overwrite the lost file.

Dec

Last edited:
what ever you do don't log off and close down - that will delete any temp files for sure...

have a look at this

Last edited:
We deleted some images from our digital camera and Mrs Ringways brother got someone to somehow get them back. If that is achieveable I'm sure there is hope for the word file.

We deleted some images from our digital camera and Mrs Ringways brother got someone to somehow get them back. If that is achieveable I'm sure there is hope for the word file.

I expect they were just sitting in your recycle folder ....this may be a bit more difficult. Hope not.

I expect they were just sitting in your recycle folder ....this may be a bit more difficult. Hope not.

The pics never reached the PC.
They were rescued from the camera/card itself which I thought was pretty clever. I believe that some sort of reader/software was used.

Last edited:
Recovering deleted files is simple with the right tools (they are not removed ... the space is simply flagged as being available for re-use).

Look under 'tools, options, save' to see what settings you have active in Word.

By default Word keeps an 'autorecover' file for the document you are working on, in case Word or the computer crashes. This is deleted when you close the document, but you may possibly be able to find and 'un-delete' it as above.

As a general rule you should hit the save button regularly as you go.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have had a route around, and the details of what the undelete software found was illuminating.

Still could not track down the document, and it's now at the stage where it's quicker to retype than spend any more time huting.

Note to self. Must save early on and more reguarly :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I did see some addons which do autosave, or even pop up every now and then and ask for a save, may have a look at some of those at some point.

PC Tools always used to have an undelete facility. But that was a time ago.

And the original Norton utilities.

Many of the memory card manufacturers (Sandisk etc.) still provide a free utility to un-delete files.

I know this is too late for recovering you file now but I've set my wifes computer to autosave every 5 mins.

I'm not aware this only does changes after you edit?

Theres no hard in trying.

Its under Tools/Options/Save (near the bottom) by default its set to 10 mins I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom