• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Car hunting saga

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
/more of a vent than genuine question - -but happy to listen to any advice given :)

I've been looking for a Westfield for 6 months now. No luck. Simply I'm on a budget of only £6k but yet have a semi-decent spec in mind. One or two have come up, but they sell faster than I can move.

So do I stick with it and eventually find the right car or look for something else? There seem to be a decent choice of 'normal' track day cars available, like Honda S2000, Mazda RX7, Porsche 944 for similar money. But I'm not sure they'll give me the raw track experience I'm looking for.

Dilemma is, I imagine I'll only keep the car for 1 year, maybe 2 at most, so I don't want to wait too long this year and miss out on all the track days available.

Kind of wish I'd kept the MX5 now.

Hi, I feel sure the Westfield will have a dedicated forum/owners club, if so I would place a wanted add, buying from such a place normally assures the car has been well looked after. I have used this method in the past and found it a good place to start, advice on what to look for is also on offer.

if by 'raw' you mean unpleasant then the S2000 has to be a contender.

Hi, I feel sure the Westfield will have a dedicated forum/owners club, if so I would place a wanted add, buying from such a place normally assures the car has been well looked after. I have used this method in the past and found it a good place to start, advice on what to look for is also on offer.

Thanks. I've joined the WSCC and forum :) A very helpful place. One member has especially taken time to show me his car and talk through various issues. The cars for sale there can be very good, but then also rather high. I need to buy wisely because I'll sell it soon afterwards and don't want to be hit by resale values.

if by 'raw' you mean unpleasant then the S2000 has to be a contender.

Have you tried one? I've not yet. They're surprisingly cheap these days ~£4k. Front engined, rear wheel drive, Honda engine quality makes it a decent contender. It would be for mostly w/e fun and track days, so comfort is less of an issue.

Last edited:
3 pages on Piston heads but I guess you looked already?
Westfields for Sale
The Lime green one looks good if you can complete it.
Any Robin Hoods about.

Yep, seen all those thanks.

That green one will need IVA tested @ £600. Not knowing what the previous owner has done, plus the inconvenience and risk of taking the test should make that car cheaper than what he's asking for it IMHO.

Many of the other Lotus 7 style kit cars are of rather poor design and quality. I'm also keen to stick with Westfield that has a larger following for easier resale.

Fingers crossed I may have found my car. Off to see it tomorrow lunch time. :)

Good luck, I hope its the one.:thumb: I just love cars of this ilk, they all have a terrific sound track. A tad long in the tooth to drive one myself, however, I love to watch and listen.:)

Good hunting Will! I think there might be a movie in that..

Fingers crossed I may have found my car. Off to see it tomorrow lunch time. :)

Fingers crossed wasn't good enough. The vendor raised the price after I arranged the viewing. I've declined the revised price. Oh well. Search continues...

I had a Westie a few years back. There are good deals to be had, especially if you are prepared to do some fettling.

I wouldn't go down the Robin Hood route though for a track car - IIRC they are heavy as you like.

Silva Strykers still around?

That Ginetta looks good too though.

Yes Sylva Striker are still going. I think I may be too tall for them though (6'2)
Ginetta G20 is being considered, but a Westfield (SEIW) is what I'm really looking for.

Then there's a host of production cars I've looked at, Merc 190 16v, BMW E30/E36, Honda S2000, MX5, Porsche 944 to name a few.

Other than a purpose built lightweight track car I would avoid anything open topped.

My sole purpose of a track car would be to go quickly. Open cars can't do that for various reasons.

Something light, stiff, powerful, good handling and aerodynamic would be what I would look for.

Now i'm liking the look of that............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom