Catalytic converter thefts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've seen videos like that and in broad daylight too.

Slightly different but a friend of one of our children had the few months old MB stolen in the middle of the night. It was summer and windows open so the owner felt he heard some noises on their drive had a look and saw a car parked across their drive and couple of guys walking around his car and the owner called out saying something like 'what you doing' - they told him stay up there unless he wanted to be battered they took the car and police arrived within minutes but car was never found again.

Slightly OT but my car insurance co this year sent me a letter well before the renewal date warning me of potential big rise is premium as my type of car was a greater risk and wanted to warn so I could shop around. It was LV, IMO that was nice of them but my car was bought brand new in 2016 low miles FSH GLE but I opted not to have the stop start fitted as car was made to order and I think they got that confused. Anyway, the good news was I tried Saga, not just substantially cheaper but paid a bit more for a guarantee that insurance premium wont go up for another two years and saved a few hundred over three years if no claims etc. Even having paid the additional amount and almost like for like cover works out a few hundred cheaper
These crooks take no prisoners. They can be violent too.

Hi,

Is anyone aware of any catalytic converter thefts from Mercedes’ C Class cars?

My brother left his car with us as he went overseas and within 6 days the cat on his BMW 2010 318i was cut off by 4 villains.

Thanks in advance.
Early cars seem to have more valuable cats on them than the later stuff I’ve found.

Broke up a few cars this year with a pal and the cat prices were through the roof for a good few months which increased the crime rate. They have now dropped about 50% last time I weighed one in which was little while ago.

Not sure where it’s at now though.

Early cars seem to have more valuable cats on them than the later stuff I’ve found.

Broke up a few cars this year with a pal and the cat prices were through the roof for a good few months which increased the crime rate. They have now dropped about 50% last time I weighed one in which was little while ago.

Not sure where it’s at now though.
How much are we talking about then??

How much are we talking about then??
So the best we got for a set of 230k cats from a 202 were £700 for the pair same as or very similar to the 280s. The twin cats were always more than the later ones which had four cats in the system. The only cats that were more value in a set of four were from an ML but the V engine seem to like throwing the offside bank out so you only end up with half the amount. That was still £460 in our pocket and we were a little late to the parade.

Last time I checked with the local precious metal merchant they were in the 400s this was a little while ago. Still worth the crime to some individuals I guess.

I hope you aren’t going to misbehave yourself after this information Darrell ;)

So the best we got for a set of 230k cats from a 202 were £700 for the pair same as or very similar to the 280s. The twin cats were always more than the later ones which had four cats in the system. The only cats that were more value in a set of four were from an ML but the V engine seem to like throwing the offside bank out so you only end up with half the amount. That was still £460 in our pocket and we were a little late to the parade.

Wow!

Anyone has a trolley jack and a van I can borrow....?

Wow!

Anyone has a trolley jack and a van I can borrow....?
These do not compare to some of the jap stuff.

This is why people aren’t worried if it’s daylight as the reward is high for five minutes work.

Read my post #6 . That was during the first lockdown. I was actually taken aback at the amount offered.

The market was dry as the theives couldn't operate............. :doh:

These crooks take no prisoners. They can be violent too.
Very true as they have nothing to lose and not done an honest days work. The only good thing is I guess these types turn on each other at times once they had a few cans of beer.

My brother had his taken (Toyota I think) from a Blackburn town centre carpark in broad daylight week before Christmas. The car park was very full so someone would have seen something going on! AA guy said an increasing percentage of his callouts we for cat thefts as of course people did not know but just had a very noisy car on startup!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom