CD changer code/serial number?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peterstu1

Car
CLS63 AMG
Anyone know the batch/code/serial number for the CD changer unit in the boot for a 2001 CL55, I need to have repaired or replaced??

Hi Pete, are you sure its the CD Changer and not the fibre optics that are causing the problem ? there is a way to test it. Regards

P.S. Are you getting the CD not found (or something similar to that) showing on the COMMAND screen ?

Hi Pete, are you sure its the CD Changer and not the fibre optics that are causing the problem ? there is a way to test it. Regards

P.S. Are you getting the CD not found (or something similar to that) showing on the COMMAND screen ?

Hi there,

Yes, the CD changer opens and loads OK and then when I look on the COMAND screen, there will be either 3 CD's found, or none or all of them. Even the time when it showed all the CD's were found, it stopped playing half way through the 3rd one and is now stuck there, can't change the CD or forward the tracks.
I haven't tried to remove the CD cartridge yet and haven't checked for damaged wires or external problems, as I feel this is likely to be an internal problem??? The boot well is bone dry, never had any leaks as far as I'm aware.
What was the system for checking you mentioned?
Cheers

Hi Peter, pull the fuse (i think its F61 under drivers side rear seat, please refer to the link in my previous post), if the fuse is ok put it back in, then see if the system starts to work again. It should work for a while until the same thing happens again. If the system starts to work (touch wood, it should do) then the fibre optic loop is faulty. Hope this helps.

Hi Peter, pull the fuse (i think its F61 under drivers side rear seat, please refer to the link in my previous post), if the fuse is ok put it back in, then see if the system starts to work again. It should work for a while until the same thing happens again. If the system starts to work (touch wood, it should do) then the fibre optic loop is faulty. Hope this helps.

Thanks again, I've just been out and tested it more thoroughly.

I took the magazine out and re-loaded it. All 6 CD's loaded correctly but all the tracks will play for 8 seconds and then skip to the next track. I tried all 6 CD's and this pretty much happened the vast majority of times.
What could that be?????????
confused.gif

Just a thought.. Is the head clean?

I have a 6CD changer available.
Worked in a saloon but when I put it in my estate (different mounting) it jumps on bumpy roads.

If you know of anyone passing through Wilmslow who could pick it up, you could try it out and if okay I'd let you have it at a good price. :)

Hi Peter, ruling out the obvious such as scratched/dirty CD's I would say that your car like many many others built using D2B tech has a fault in the fibre optics. Please read the following. I have also put the link in for you/and anyone else who may need additional info to "test" the system. Hope it helps.

PDF File for D2B : http://compdr.net/mb/D2B Training Info.pdf

Info from Google:

Mercedes D2B Fibre optic connectors

Certain Mercedes cars use D2B fibre optic systems for the Audio system components. Those systems include COMAND, Audio 10, Audio 30, Audio-30-APS, phone systems, linguatronic voice recognition, teleaid and the Digital Bose amplifier.

Note that in later cars (after the W211 E class), the technology changes to MOST bus.

The D2B bus is a fibre optic ring, so if any device on it is disconnected or fails, the ring is broken and the system does not work.

In addition to the fibre optic ring there is an electrical 'wake-up' signal which causes the devices on the fibre optic bus to wake up their electronics - without this the devices would all need their fibre-optic electronic circuits powered up all the time which would drain the battery.

Each section of fibre is orange coloured and has a red plastic lens on one end and a white lens on the other. Those lenses/fibres clip into plastic connectors which then plug into the items on the bus.

The Wakeup cables are just all joined together, on many vehicles they are spliced together, on certains ranges they all connect to a multi-way connector called the Wakeup distributor. The wakeup cables are all blue/black coloured.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Mods: Im not entirely sure if I'm breaking any rules by posting a link, if I have then I apologise. Regards

Just a thought.. Is the head clean?

I have a 6CD changer available.
Worked in a saloon but when I put it in my estate (different mounting) it jumps on bumpy roads.

If you know of anyone passing through Wilmslow who could pick it up, you could try it out and if okay I'd let you have it at a good price. :)

Do you need a cleaning disc & fluid to clean the head or can you do it manually?

Do you need a cleaning disc & fluid to clean the head or can you do it manually?

I'd just use a cleaning disc and fluid.

From my (clumsy) experience taking these things apart can be troublesome. I haven't touched the one I have now for fear of "fixing it" once and for all. :rolleyes: :)

I'd just use a cleaning disc and fluid.

From my (clumsy) experience taking these things apart can be troublesome. I haven't touched the one I have now for fear of "fixing it" once and for all. :rolleyes: :)

I've recently dismantled the changer in my w210 after continually getting the "no cd" messages on the screen. On a few occasions when it's happened in the past I've just kept pressing the eject button on the unit whilst giving it a good shake at the same time which seemed to free it up for a while, but the last time it happened the cassette was jammed solid. After taking all the casing screws off and disconnecting the little block that cables plug into (there's a ribbon connector inside that unplugs) and carefully removing the plastic lid with the sliding covers on, the main part of the casing simply slid off and I could see that one of the cd holders was stuck halfway out of the cassette. I connected the power and optic cables back into the unit temporarily and gave the large black plastic cog on the loading mechanism a good twist which resulted in the holder shooting back into the cassette. In my case the problem would seem to have been lack of lubrication of the mechanical parts of the changer. I cleaned everything I could get to with switch cleaner and then applied fresh white lithium grease (normally used for the gears on my road bike) to as many of the moving parts as I could. As I didn't fancy dismantling the rest of the unit to get to the laser, which is still pretty well hidden even with all the casing off, I just gave it a clean with a cotton bud.
I did this 6 or 7 weeks ago and it's been working perfectly ever since, in fact, it's the longest it's been working in all the time I've had the car.

Bob

I b*ggered my first unit by selecting, say, disc2 and then changing my mind and selecting another disk before the unit had completed the "disc 2" request. :doh:

You are right about the sleeve sliding off.. It's after that point I had complications..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom