Central heating system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
While you are at it, it's worth ripping the cwsc and the f&e cistern from the loft and putting in a Mega-flow.

In non techie speak, what does that mean?

An initial BG quote is double that of the independent, the thing is that both are essentially quoting the same products i.e. Vaillant Boiler, Magna clean and Powerflush, but I would be paying twice as much for an engineer with a BG van rather.

They often sub installations out to local plumbers.

The only thing with BG is always being able to get hold of them, the chap that did my initial quote worked on my boiler in my old house and was great, however have not been able to get in contact with him for the past two weeks whilst trying to finalise things from his quote.

Since then I have decided that I need to understand exactly what is going to be done as quite frankly I trust the advice that I recieve here somewhat more than some of the local heating engineers.

Reading about system boilers, I like the idea of getting rid of the tanks in the loft room, as the room is becoming my home office, I appreciate that this will have a cost, but the system boiler is cheaper than the equivalent heat only boiler. I am right in thinking that this is sensible way to go?

Last edited:
Not always the case as they also need the work to.
I wouldn't call them first but I would get them in to offer a second opinion.
I was a supplier to BG in the 90s and early 00s, my experience was they violated anyone who did business with them.

The only thing with BG is always being able to get hold of them, the chap that did my initial quote worked on my boiler in my old house and was great, however have not been able to get in contact with him for the past two weeks whilst trying to finalise things from his quote.

Since then I have decided that I need to understand exactly what is going to be done as quite frankly I trust the advice that I recieve here somewhat more than some of the local heating engineers.

Reading about system boilers, I like the idea of getting rid of the tanks in the loft room, as the room is becoming my home office, I appreciate that this will have a cost, but the system boiler is cheaper than the equivalent heat only boiler. I am right in thinking that this is sensible way to go?

It all depends on your needs for hot water, the heating is much of a muchness as long as you have a suitable output boiler.
Combis are much better than they were but still pretty poor for bathing, for families the best solution is a high output boiler with unvented fast recovery storage, Megaflow or similar.
All IMHO of course.

I was a supplier to BG in the 90s and early 00s, my experience was they violated anyone who did business with them.

They are feeling the pinch same as most.
There work is more open to scrutiny.
It's worth getting a quote just as a second opinion

stevieb15 said:
It all depends on your needs for hot water, the heating is much of a muchness as long as you have a suitable output boiler. Combis are much better than they were but still pretty poor for bathing, for families the best solution is a high output boiler with unvented fast recovery storage, Megaflow or similar. All IMHO of course.

The step forward in hot water delivery is the reason I went for a combi system. Ours does 25 litres/minute with a 35 deg C temperature lift. No problem at all for bathing - the bath fills just as quickly as it did before:D

Last edited:
Given this topic appears to have attracted a number of expert opinions I thought I'd ask the panel to help with a little quandary.

I need to replace the central heating in a flat that I let out. As I've got so little time on my hands and I need to move quickly I've asked the letting agent to organise quotations for me. I need a new combi-boiler, six new rads and a powerflush.

So far I've had quotes ranging from £2160, through £2400 to £2740. The lowest price was for a Main ECO 25 (never heard of them) the middle for a Worcester (model not specified) and the most expensive one they hadn't left the details. I've priced up a couple of systems on line and the middle quote seems a fair price.

I'd appreciate any feedback. Better still if anyone is based in the Romford/Brentwood area and can make a personal recommendation or, if in the trade, take the job on I'd be happy to put the work somewhere else.

Main Eco Boiler £550+vat
6 rads £50 each (ish)
Power flush (why) In with the labour
£1000 labour
Nice little job for someone.

Can you not take advantage of the eco boiler scheme?

Ours had done as Vaillant would not warrant the boiler for 5 years without it - only a year otherwise.

It's becoming common practice to use other methods of cleaning the system prior to installation rather than powerflushing.
The manufactures say the system should be cleaned but don't actually stipulate power flushing.

A lot of plumbers are switching towards a combination of chemicals & filters to clean the system rather than pumped machines

The reason why they want to power flush the old system first, is that the new combo boilers matrix is much finer as opposed to the old type boilers, and so could block up and stop working properly.

Hi Nigel
True and I understand the reason why you would clean the system I was just pointing out that the current trend with installers is moving away from using Power flushing machines to other methods.

My HE offered using chemicals instead but I opted for a power flush for peace of mind really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom