• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

How much do you spend on gas each day?

I would also think with that constant circulation on the HW the risk of low temperatures and stagnant water at outlets would be even lower, it’s definitely worth looking into a slight reduction on the set temp if efficiency is being considered, along with the heating flow temp too.
Tweaking the temperatures are probably required. I need to take photos of current setting before tweaking.

Well today started beautifully warm, sunny with clear blue skies but all that changed at 1500, when it started raining and it’s got progressively worse - it’s jolly cold here, it’s whistling a gale, and the heavy rain is “falling” sideways.

That’s the warm up to say that the heating is back on albeit set to 20 degrees C this time. So that’s messed up my test results for tweaking things but it prevents Mrs D divorcing me (and she has a point, it is cold!).

Tweaking the temperatures are probably required. I need to take photos of current setting before tweaking.
Yep 60 degrees is good for the HW , at you current temp of 65 do you need to add cold water at any time ? ( That’s inefficient and costly to be doing that )
I have my central heating at 60 degrees as well , I reckon 80 is far too high . Better to heat for slightly longer at a lower temp rather than asking the boiler to work so hard to get to 80 degrees .
There is also a government advert to turn the boiler to 60 for the rads .

We’re down to £3 per day on gas now!

The heating is off, but randomly the radiators were still warm so I have closed the valves on the radiators. Not sure if that was somehow linked to the recirculation pump for the hot water system - since I turned that pump off the radiators have stopped warming up except towel rails.

Is it a thing to have towel rails on a separate circuit to the radiators? I’ve not heard of it before but I guess there’s a logic to it. I’ve also switched the hot water from being on 24/7 to 30 minutes morning and night. Combined these things have taken our gas use as low as I suspect it will go.

The heating is off, but randomly the radiators were still warm so I have closed the valves on the radiators. Not sure if that was somehow linked to the recirculation pump for the hot water system - since I turned that pump off the radiators have stopped warming up except towel rails.

Is it a thing to have towel rails on a separate circuit to the radiators? I’ve not heard of it before but I guess there’s a logic to it. I’ve also switched the hot water from being on 24/7 to 30 minutes morning and night. Combined these things have taken our gas use as low as I suspect it will go.
Yes our towel rails warm separately from the radiators.

Sounds like a faulty zone/diverter valve somewhere, so as the gas heats water only , one of the valves is playing up and leaving the central heating/radiator side open a bit .

Sounds like a faulty zone/diverter valve somewhere, so as the gas heats water only , one of the valves is playing up and leaving the central heating/radiator side open a bit .
Thanks for your steer - that makes sense. Another job for the list!

Heating back on 🙈

We've had the log burner going a few times but resisted using the heating so far :D

I can answer the original question now - averaged across a whole year our gas bill is £3.30 per day (applying the current tariff to historical usage data). On that basis our total energy bill (gas & electricity) is £1,700 a year ... and we get an income of £2,000 a year from the solar panels (the Feed-In Tariff runs until 2036). So overall, we're currently making £300 a year :thumb:

As an aside the gas & electricity costs shown on the smart meter display (and Ovo app/website) exclude standing charges and VAT, so are somewhat misleading!

Some (wet) towel rails can also have an electric element, to allow it to operate in summer, whilst heating is off, (just shut off the valves or it can gently heat rads by convection.)

Our last 2 houses have had them in the hot water circuit rather than the heating one, so they warm up whenever the water is on. I assumed this was fairly normal?

November??? Ya big pansy. We don’t even have a boiler up-ear. We bath and shower with mains cold water to cool ourselves down throughout the winter months. Not so hardy now eh Rog???
Mains water??? Ya Big Jessie. It's a quick dunk in the well for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom