Changing language on Vista?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Im currently in sunny Spain and using my sisters 6month old laptop. The laptop has been set into Spainish when the laptop was new but we wish to convert it into English.

My Sister speaks excellent Spainish, but cannot understand PC jargon that is in Spainish so it is very difficult to do anything on it that is slightly technical.

She has managed to convert all running programs to display in English via an option in Windows, but Windows Vista itself is still set to Spainish.

Is it possible to completely convert Vista into another language, or are we looking at a new installation?

This is my 1st time on Vista, so any instructions need to be basic and easy to follow
Thanks in advance
kHz

I went through this with XP when I inherited a German PC - had to buy an English copy of XP and re-install.

It is possible, recently set-up Vista to run in Albanian! Control Panel -> Regional Settings somewhere (can't remeber exactly and don't have a Vista PC). (3rd tab?)

Also add a desktop shortcut to regional settings before you do this - makes it easier to switch back when you don't understand a word of the language!!

Last edited:
As stevesey, Control Panel then Clock, Languages and Region, change display language...

I think it may depend on whether the PC has a full retail version of the OS installed, or a bundled OEM one. I understand the latter are usually 'cut down' and often only support a single language - this was certainly the case with XP Pro on my Dell (English), and the Sony PC I was given (German).

As others have said, you might be able to select this option in Control Panel but IIRC, the base build needs to be English with extra language packs installed for other languages.

So unless your OS on that PC is in English with a Spanish language pack applied, you'll be looking at an overinstall with an English version of the OS.

Thanks for the replies, I will have a go at working out what tabs are what - unless anyone fancies some screen grabs for me...

The laptop says Vista basic on a sticker, so im not holding by breath...

As stevesey says, In Vista there is an option to change the DISPLAY LANGUAGE settings.

START --> CONTROL PANEL --> REGIONAL and LANGUAGE OPTIONS --> then select the 3rd tab which says Keyboards and Language Options --> bottom half of the page is the display language section.

You shouldn't need to change the location.

best of luck:

Here you go in SPANISH:

iniciar --> PANEL DE CONTROL --> Regional y las opciones de idioma --> a continuación, seleccione la ficha 3 que dice Teclados y las opciones de idioma --> mitad inferior de la página es el idioma de visualización sección.

Usted no debe necesidad de cambiar la ubicación.

mejor de las suertes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom