Checking car model by registration number

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
I hope to buy a car in the near future, ideally a turbo diesel. Most of these type of cars come with various power outputs. So when looking on Autotrader I would like to check that the advertised car is indeed the correct bhp. It would be too easy to advertise a 90bhp car as a 130bhp car and add £££ to its value.

I'm sure I've seen someone post a link to a website where you can enter a vehicle's registration number and it will come back with the full make and model details.

Does anybody know of such a free website?

Thanks.

edit: looking further ahead, if I get a car's VIN is there another way I can check the car's engine power?

Last edited:
I have also found:

https://www.mycarcheck.com/

but sadly it doesn't give as much detail as I'm after.

Edit: as a work around I'm using www.confused.com to enter a dummy registration number which then recommends the car make/model. But would still be interested to hear of a better way.

Last edited:
If you areconcerned about being ripped off, then may I very tactfully suggest that the very cheap cost of a HPI check is peanuts compared to what you might save yourself.

Go on...put your hand in your pocket, you know it makes sense:devil:

£3.95p
is hardly going to ruin us and NO.. I have NO CONNECTION with this site

If you areconcerned about being ripped off, then may I very tactfully suggest that the very cheap cost of a HPI check is peanuts compared to what you might save yourself.
HPI won't tell you the car's engine power output though, so pointless with regard to the OP's requirements.

HPI won't tell you the car's engine power output though, so pointless with regard to the OP's requirements.

I would definitely take onboard what Sp!ke is saying but:

• Colour Changes
  • Make and Model
  • Number of Former Keepers
  • VIN (Chassis Number) Check
  • Engine Number and Size
  • Exported
  • Date First Registered
  • Year Manufactured
  • Colour
  • Fuel
These are just some of the things we find out

HPI

Definitely NOT power output per sea but how would we know what has been breathed on under a bonnet.

If I claim my car has a 500bhp engine then I feel I should be guilty until proved innocent. I should prove it has if I want to make the claim.Meanwhile an HPI check will show it to be a 3.2ltr diesel

Last edited:
Meanwhile an HPI check will show it to be a 3.2ltr diesel
Yes but there are several variations of the engine in different levels of factory tune, 90bhp and 130bhp for example with the only outward difference being a red "I" on the TDI rather than silver! Unless HPI are offering to take the car to a dyno there is no way they can tell you.

C180, C200, C230 etc all had 1798cc (or similar) engines so which is which?

Volkwagen/Audi are the classic example, with the same TDi engine in the same car often being offered simultaneously in a number of different power outputs, which changed over the years. As Shude mentioned, our Audi A4 has the "i" on the badge in red ... which in this case means 110 bhp rather than the (then) standard 90 bhp. But how many people would know that? And even if they did, how easy would it be to change the badge (or even fill in the "i" with a red touch-up paint)?

I have also found:

https://www.mycarcheck.com/

but sadly it doesn't give as much detail as I'm after.

Edit: as a work around I'm using www.confused.com to enter a dummy registration number which then recommends the car make/model. But would still be interested to hear of a better way.

If you pm me the reg number I will check it for you.

If you pm me the reg number I will check it for you.

Thanks for the offer, that's very kind of you.

I wouldn't want to waste your time though, as I'm initially casting a wide net so would need to check quite a few.

I'll PM just one though, if that's OK, just to satisfy my curiosity.

Send a text message to Carspotter on 86007, will tell you several things,inc bhp. Also use Textcheck on 83600 to tell if stolen,written off etc.

Even our old mate, Mr Clarkson got stung.
Remember the episode of Top Gear when he bought what he thought was a Maserati Merak SS?
It turned out to be a standard Merak - but he only found out after he waded through a pile of bills and found a receipt for a "Merak SS Badge".
So we can all be caught out if we are not careful enough.

Volkwagen/Audi are the classic example, with the same TDi engine in the same car often being offered simultaneously in a number of different power outputs, which changed over the years. As Shude mentioned, our Audi A4 has the "i" on the badge in red ... which in this case means 110 bhp rather than the (then) standard 90 bhp. But how many people would know that? And even if they did, how easy would it be to change the badge (or even fill in the "i" with a red touch-up paint)?
I think the the Mercedes 2.2ltr Cdi engine brings that home in spades but finding out a definite black and white answer is not going to be easy.

Our 'stretched limo' is a 130bhp model and at least the model number lets us know that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom