• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Cigar lighter in W211

Gollom

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Noticed that the satnav charger does not work (known to be good) Glass fuse replaced but still will not working - have tried front and rear and also checked main fuse

Only just picked the car up so I can take it back to the dealer to have them look but I am really pushed for time at the moment!

Any ideas?

Quit smoking :D.

Have you checked that the metal tabs that make the electrical contact are not bend and are making proper contact?

That will probably be the cause. (bend them back when the ignition is off)

Seems odd - the front one does not appear to work at all and the rear one worked but when I got back in the car it had stopped! It seems to be blowing the adaptor fuses whenever I switch the ignition on! Was never a problem in my C or B class. Tried bending the tabs a little.

Car booked in but I really could do with some power on it tonight!! Anybdy know magic? :D

Seems odd - the front one does not appear to work at all and the rear one worked but when I got back in the car it had stopped! It seems to be blowing the adaptor fuses whenever I switch the ignition on! Was never a problem in my C or B class. Tried bending the tabs a little.

Car booked in but I really could do with some power on it tonight!! Anybdy know magic? :D

Just to make sure: is the fuse blowing (1) without anything plugged into the cigar lighter? Or (2) does it blow when the cigar lighter is plugged in, or (3) when your satnav gets plugged in?

If (1), there must be a short in the cigar holder socket itself, so the positive pole must be touching the earth or the chassis of the car (via a screw or something).

If (2), then the cigar lighter itself is short circuiting, in which case you can just keep it removed.

If (3), then your satnav's power unit is short circuited, in which case you need to get that replaced.

Finally, it is possible that the cigar lighter circuit feeds some other circuit as well, in which case you should check the other consumers on the same circuit as well.

Just to make sure: is the fuse blowing (1) without anything plugged into the cigar lighter? Or (2) does it blow when the cigar lighter is plugged in, or (3) when your satnav gets plugged in?

If (1), there must be a short in the cigar holder socket itself, so the positive pole must be touching the earth or the chassis of the car (via a screw or something).

If (2), then the cigar lighter itself is short circuiting, in which case you can just keep it removed.

If (3), then your satnav's power unit is short circuited, in which case you need to get that replaced.

Finally, it is possible that the cigar lighter circuit feeds some other circuit as well, in which case you should check the other consumers on the same circuit as well.

It's (3) - but does it with 2 different adaptors!!! 1 that is a cradle for my iPAQ satnav and 1 that is a charger for an iPAQ. They were both working fine in my B-class and a loan B-class

And it the adaptors glass fuses that seem to be going, not the cigar lighter fuse which is fine

It's (3) - but does it with 2 different adaptors!!! 1 that is a cradle for my iPAQ satnav and 1 that is a charger for an iPAQ. They were both working fine in my B-class and a loan B-class

And it the adaptors glass fuses that seem to be going, not the cigar lighter fuse which is fine

Well, at least the car's circuitry seems alright then. I'm puzzled as to why the adapter's fuse would blow, though, if it works anywhere else. :crazy:

Malcolm, what I don't understand is why the plug in the adapter cable blows and only does this when in the W211. Why would only in the W211 the adapter draw too much current, but be fine in other cars? :confused:

Malcolm, what I don't understand is why the plug in the adapter cable blows and only does this when in the W211. Why would only in the W211 the adapter draw too much current, but be fine in other cars? :confused:

This may be a good time to check the voltage when the car is running.

Surely I cant blow it when the engine is off

Has the unit been tried in another car since it blew the fuses? it could be that removing it from one car to another has caused a short in the cable or unit.

It might also be worth checking the voltage output from the socket just in case that has caused a problem with the Satnav, unlikely though.

Has the unit been tried in another car since it blew the fuses? it could be that removing it from one car to another has caused a short in the cable or unit.

It might also be worth checking the voltage output from the socket just in case that has caused a problem with the Satnav, unlikely though.

This is why I said that if this only blows when the car is running, then it is one of the over voltage problems that can affect the 211

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom