• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Clarkson's Pub

This is what the law says:

Section 4 Road Traffic Act 1988

So it's vague!
It really is quite clear , and there is case law to back it up , subsection 3 applies in that there is no likelihood of driving whilst unfit , and campsites are specifically mentioned . Even camping in a remote area of the countryside , if you are actually in bed and settled for the night , the case would be thrown out as this is an established defence , which has become legal precedent . It is all the better if you are on a campsite which locks its gates overnight to prevent late arrivals and early departures without paying , but this is not required .

As for the nurse in the car park , that one ought to be thrown out as intention to drive has to be proven , and quite clearly did not exist there .

Incidentally , there is no such thing as DUI in Scots or English Law ; that is an Americanism , and since it specifically states DRIVING under the influence , a person would need to be in the vehicle with the engine running and them at the controls for that one to succeed .

The way I dealt with it in my younger days , if deciding to sleep in a car park , was to separate the ignition key from the keyring and hide it somewhere nearby , having only the separate door key to get into the car ; not having any ability to start the car , the question would never have arisen .

So what are you supposed to do with your keys? Many a time I've been "forced" into a beer or two that I never planned and left the car in the car park to collect the next day. Obviously the keys were in my pocket... Where else?
Older cars had separate keys for different locks , Pontons and Fintails had separate keys for doors , ignition , boot and fuel cap ; easy enough to remove the ignition key and hide it away ( usually in the boot ) and then get into the back seat of the car with only the door key in your possession ; I did that many a time if 'resting' in the car park of a halls of residence after a visit to the students union or similar ; as long as you have no visible means of starting the car , you are safe .

I always thought that the offence was "Being in charge of a vehicle whilst being over the prescribed limit" to or words to that effect?

Possession of keys whilst in the vehicle being considered "in charge"?
Only if that includes the ignition key ; you can have just the door key without any worries , because then you have no ability to start the engine , or drive away .

Only if that includes the ignition key ; you can have just the door key without any worries , because then you have no ability to start the engine , or drive away .
Although virtually all cars now have a remote key and ignition.

How many cars would have separate door and ignition keys? 🤔

Older cars had separate keys for different locks , Pontons and Fintails had separate keys for doors , ignition , boot and fuel cap ; easy enough to remove the ignition key and hide it away ( usually in the boot ) and then get into the back seat of the car with only the door key in your possession ; I did that many a time if 'resting' in the car park of a halls of residence after a visit to the students union or similar ; as long as you have no visible means of starting the car , you are safe .
Did you test the theory against two on-duty policed officers?
Pretty sure cops wouldn't buy the 'keys aren't in my hand or the ignition lock but can be retrieved in seconds anyway' defence. I've lost count of how many guys I've heard of getting busted sleeping the booze off on the back seat in scenarios no different from sleeping in a camper van. I really don't know exactly how far the ignition key has to be from the vehicle to prove the impossibility of driving but pretty sure anywhere in the vicinity doesn't cut it. In another shire perhaps.

Did you test the theory against two on-duty policed officers?
Pretty sure cops wouldn't buy the 'keys aren't in my hand or the ignition lock but can be retrieved in seconds anyway' defence. I've lost count of how many guys I've heard of getting busted sleeping the booze off on the back seat in scenarios no different from sleeping in a camper van. I really don't know exactly how far the ignition key has to be from the vehicle to prove the impossibility of driving but pretty sure anywhere in the vicinity doesn't cut it. In another shire perhaps.
They’d have to find it .

Told by serving cops they wouldn’t waste time looking for it .

Although virtually all cars now have a remote key and ignition.

How many cars would have separate door and ignition keys? 🤔
Every Mercedes pre 1968 .

Single keys came in with the W114/5 new generation models , also known as /8 to reflect their 1968 introduction

Every Mercedes pre 1968 .

Single keys came in with the W114/5 new generation models , also known as /8 to reflect their 1968 introduction
But realistically, a tiny percentage of the current vehicles on the road.

We seem to accept the technology foisted upon us without question as to the benefit.

Sometimes less is more.

But realistically, a tiny percentage of the current vehicles on the road.

We seem to accept the technology foisted upon us without question as to the benefit.

Sometimes less is more.
I've had more cars with separate keys for different locks than later ones , and none of mine have remote electronic locking .

My first car with central locking , sill operated by turning the key in the drivers door lock , thus actuating the pneumatic valves , was my 1975 280E , everything before was manual locking for each door ; and prior to the Fintail series introduced in 1963 , a second lock on the passenger door was an optional extra , with only the drivers door having a key slot .

TBH , I wouldn't have cars with remote locking or keyless go because that is what the current crop of car thieves are capable of defeating ; very few will know how to pick mechanical locks , although I do as I've had to rebuild lock barrels for some of my cars , replacing individual worn tumblers , and often making a barrel to suit whatever keys I have - a skill that is largely lost nowadays , and not just for vehicle locks .

TBH , I wouldn't have cars with remote locking or keyless go because that is what the current crop of car thieves are capable of defeating
Just get a shit car and they won’t bother trying to pinch it anyway. Our key fob on the Jaag failed and we never locked it for the thick end of 2 years.

My 911 sits in a garage but I don’t think I’ve ever locked it. 😳

The Dacia thing sits in Skiathos airport car park for months on end with the doors unlocked and the key in the glove compartment. 🤣🤣

I have access to an aircraft 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom