CLC is Axed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
CLC Klasse Coupe is Axed

Due to the future addition of the C-Klasse Coupe in the portfolio, Mercedes-Benz officials have decided that it's time to put the CLC-Klasse to sleep. The production process of 3-door hatch at the Brazilian plant of Juiz de Fora came to an end after 370,000 units of this model, including the C-Klasse Sportcoupe, were assembled there since 2001. The awkward-looking CLC-Klasse was a slow seller and, by seeing it, it's not hard to understand why: old technical underpinnings and powering choices, an unattractive interior with mediocre build quality, a dated exterior design with a minor refreshment due to the addition of styling elements from the W 204 C-Klasse and an overall feeling the car is far from being a true Mercedes-Benz. So, farewell to the outgoing CLC, long live the new C-Klasse Coupe!

the-mercedes-benz-clc-got-axed.jpg

While I'm not it's biggest fan, that write-up seems a bit harsh.

I was going to ask the other day what's going to happen to CLC, if MB are making the C-Class coupe...Now I know ;)

Never liked them anyway...The C-Class Coupe is going to seriously push on 3-series now.

About time.

The 1 series looks better then this car though

Damn! What will American girls drive to college now?

Without wishing to offend any owners (it's just a car, after all) I've always seen the Sportcoupé/CLC as MB's real entry-level model; a hatchback masquerading as a sports car (and now, an old car pretending to be a new one). At least its replacement can look forward to not being regarded as the poor relation of the C Class range.

The CLC has never been my cup of tea either. It is a shame to see the demise of any car but as the C class coupe is coming there shouldn't be any tears.

Always liked its wheel at each corner stance, but the rear was too high. New one looks cool though.

I always thought it be more a hatchback than a coupé. The shape wasn't long and low enough for the coupé badge IMO, although not unattractive. Rebadging to CLC wasn't necessary either for an end of line product. R.I.P

You are obviously a Cool Hand Luke and a Guns and Roses fan. Nice choice.....

I watched the film 12 year ago when I was 18 and it was good to see a character as belligerent as me....;)
And Appetite for Destruction is one of my favourite albums. :thumb:

I love the new C-class coupe and have never really been a fan of the Sports coupe or CLC but its not as bad as that statement makes out. Ok in basic spec its not really a looker compared to other MB's and the build quality isnt to hot compared to other MB's, But when it first came out it was targeted at Golf drivers who wanted something a little more civilized which imo it dose quite well. Also when it was launched its rivals weren't exactly to hot either, The Saab 9-3 coupe was pretty practical but getting a bit long in the tooth and the 3-series compact and A3 (8L platform) where horrid cars. Imo the issue isnt that the c203/cl203 is a bad car but that the new C-class coupe should have come out sooner. Sorry about that mini rant over :D

Shame, a nice RWD economical hatch ticks a lot of boxes. If I wanted a hatch a CLC or 1er would be my choice. RWD.

MB should have made it more out and out sporty and had an AMG one with LSDs, V6 turbo power, recaro seats to take the fight to the R32 golfs, S3s.

A chance, sorely missed.

Shame, a nice RWD economical hatch ticks a lot of boxes. If I wanted a hatch a CLC or 1er would be my choice. RWD.

MB should have made it more out and out sporty and had an AMG one with LSDs, V6 turbo power, recaro seats to take the fight to the R32 golfs, S3s.

A chance, sorely missed.

Totally agree, its a real shame they didnt make much of it. I believe Germany had a coupe called the C30 AMG which was a diesel and got good reviews. It would of been nice to see a C32 AMG coupe I bet an AMG black version would of been fun.

No loss.

Another car they should never have bothered making IMHO.

Personally I don't see how a C class coupe can realistically replace a hatchback. Hatchbacks outsell saloons and coupes by miles and miles in the UK and in Europe.

And why do we need two C class coupes? Remember that the so called E class coupe is actually a C class coupe (same chassis and wheelbase).

A chance, sorely missed.

Not so sure! Did Mercedes really want to enter the world of 'boy racer'? They have enough of an image problem with european taxi drivers and Albanians;)
Did they really want to be into 'Barry Boy' territory? AMG has the image of refined and elegant, along with sledgehammer power. Why squander that?
Having had one as a loan car for a day, I will not miss the car at all! It may well have been a small RWD hatch but it didn't drive like a Mercedes and other brands do the small hatch much better.
Mercedes do 'grown up' cars much better.....like a 211:D

I've always seen the Sportcoupé/CLC as MB's real entry-level model;

I've heard this a number of times, and while I don't entirely disagree I'm left wondering why the same is not said of the A or B class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom