Cleaning brake dust off polished lips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pupsi

Car
W124 E500
Brake dust has kinda baked onto the rims and hardened with the icey weather we've had of late.

Whats the best stuff to get it off with and polish the rim with?

I use autosol and that normally gets the stuff off but i need something stronger this time!

Any recommendations?

Meguiars do a wheel foam which I hear is very good for removing brake dust.

auto glym do a good wheel cleaner which is good with break dust

Are they lacquered? If not then 800 scotch brite, wire wool, 1200 wet and dry and then a wheel sealant after to protect.

If lacquered then Redberry wheel cleaner shifts everything and is safe to use. Mr Muscle is not something I'd consider using...

Not laquered, just polished to a high standard, or was anyway!

Not laquered, just polished to a high standard, or was anyway!

Have to agree with stats comments as i didnt realise they were unprotected.
But i have used the mr muscle trick on several cars with badly burnt in brake dust and it does work, these were std silver finish wheels not bare alloy.

Lynall

Cool, cheers for the advice fellas.

Where can i get scotch brite from? Dont think ive ever used it in my life!

Cool.

So im assuming the scotch brite is to get the dust off and the 1200 is to get the shine back and smooth out the scratches made by the scotch brite?

Wouldnt i need to use something like 2000?

Have you tried clay bars?
They come in various strengths and are not as agresive as some cleaners

Cool.

So im assuming the scotch brite is to get the dust off and the 1200 is to get the shine back and smooth out the scratches made by the scotch brite?

Wouldnt i need to use something like 2000?

The OEM finish is diamond-polished so gives a satin look. This can be replicated by using and finishing with 800 grit paper on a machine to get the concentric lines. If you keep polishing you'll get a mirror finish - it just depends what you're after.

Autosol will remove 1200+ scratches relatively easily - 2000 grit really isn't needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom