• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Cleaning exhaust tips E400

Danny5

Car
E400 coupe
Hi guys,

I have a 2018 E400 with carbon build up on the exhaust tips. Does anyone have any tips on how to remove it safely without scratching them?

I may be being a bit of a tart but with them so close to the body work I’m flapping about using wire wool or oven cleaners as a mate suggested!

Have, you tried good old,
Solvol Aotosol,
I'm presuming there chrome
it's good stuff, or what about Brasso, (don't laugh) it works. :)
Solvol, Halfords.
Brasso, Tesco etc.
Oh, and welcome. :D

Autosol and elbow grease is your friend.

If you can remove them from the car it makes the job a whole lot easier :cool:

Once cleaned up to a good standard they should be a lot easier to maintain generally :thumb:

46E7047C-2214-4473-9E94-9D316AED3E3B.png 4026AF5B-1EC2-40B8-93F2-9EA463D3B224.png 8FDE8F7B-7C43-440A-B291-8FF04E87BE1D.png 2C6405E5-FB90-4FCD-9080-984AD4242155.png

Hi guys,

I have a 2018 E400 with carbon build up on the exhaust tips. Does anyone have any tips on how to remove it safely without scratching them?

I think they are Stainless Steel!

Wonder Wheels, Autosol with Brillo Pad, then Autosol with Cloth!

Have, you tried good old,
Solvol Aotosol,
I'm presuming there chrome
it's good stuff, or what about Brasso, (don't laugh) it works. :)
Solvol, Halfords.
Brasso, Tesco etc.
Oh, and welcome. :D
Thanks, I’m heading to Tesco now to try and get some Brasso! I got a bit impatient and tried autoglym standard polish which cleared the light stuff but I can see some light scratches now :(

Much easier if you take them off, which shouldn’t be difficult. The below thread has some good information.

Cleaning chrome exhausts
I’ll have a go at taking them off tomorrow and let you know how I get on! The bits I couldn’t get to were setting the OCD off. Thanks I’ll have a read through that thread

Cheers John I’m going for the autosol, looks like with a bit of hard work I could get them to come up nice! I’m glad I joined the forum, I’ve been googling for days and haven’t come up with much.

Autosol is great until you try White Diamond metal polish, that stuff is amazing
From nothing other than oven cleaner as an option to multiple options, thanks guys! If it makes the job easier I’m in, I’m happy having the arms of a 14yr old boy :)

Could you expand a little on the white diamond Ash - sounds like a cheap cider? :D

Only kidding! It would be nice to know how it compares and what’s better than the other stuff. I’ve used Autosol, and Autoglym metal polish and I think ‘Mother’s’ years back - all seemed much of a muchness really. Although other than exhaust tips there’s really not much metal to polish on most modern cars? :)

Could you expand a little on the white diamond Ash - sounds like a cheap cider? :D

Only kidding! It would be nice to know how it compares and what’s better than the other stuff. I’ve used Autosol, and Autoglym metal polish and I think ‘Mother’s’ years back - all seemed much of a muchness really. Although other than exhaust tips there’s really not much metal to polish on most modern cars? :)

It’s awesome stuff! I was very happy with autosol in general (picked that up from my dad) and then got recommended the white diamond stuff on a detailing forum, tried it out with a foam attachment for my drill and my exhaust tips came up beautifully

As you say, it’s only the exhaust tips you get to use it on. I was very near tempted to just paint mine black to save cleaning ;)

Now I could be wrong so a bit of googling will be needed but I'm sure someone took them off and popped them in some oven pride over night.

Now I could be wrong so a bit of googling will be needed but I'm sure someone took them off and popped them in some oven pride over night.

My mate said exactly the same thing but he’s a wind up merchant so I took it with a pinch of salt!

I went and got some Autosol today and gave them a go in position and they came up lovely with minimal work!!! They’ll be off this weekend and done properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom