clk 320 cab 2004 wheels/tyres help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

9zap

Car
CLK 320 Cab w209
Hi there,

have 16" wheels on it at the moment 205/55/16 all around and it don't drive that nice, only had it a week need to get the wheels sorted which is the best way to go for this model? was thinking 235/35/19 front and 265/30/19 rears would those sizes be ok for my model? would be obliged for any recommendations

cheers

Depends on how hard you want the ride....I have a standard staggered setup of 225/17/45 on front and 245/17/40 on rear and find this is a good compromise between handling and comfort.....I also have factory fitted sports suspension which may also make a difference. I guess that as you have 16" wheels at the moment, you do not have the uprated sports suspension setup?

19" wheels around where I live would be a nightmare due to the number of potholes and country roads.

Last edited:
Welcome.

Check out here

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/mercedes_alloy_wheels/clk_class_209

Possible wheel and tyres sizes.

According to the site if you run 19's, they recommend

Front alloy wheels: 19x8.5" ET30
Rear alloy wheels: 19x9.5" ET31

With the following tyres:

front: 225/35R19 88Y
rear: 255/30R19 91Y

I think 18's would be a better compromise between performance and comfort, but at the end of the day up to you.

Thanks for the input ...Is the difference that great on 18" over 19" also 18" would be cheaper as well have you guys run 16" wheels like mine and then upgraded to a larger wheel? is the ride handling performance worth it... the suspension is stock at the moment..so the other option for me then would be 18x8.5/18.9.5 what tyre sizes would you recommend. been looking at falken tyres fk452 good compromise between performance and value road noise is important as well..

18" wheels are factory option for clk's and are the biggest that can be fitted as a factory option....have driven a number of clks with 18" wheels and I found the ride comfort surprisingly good (again, these cars would have had the factory sports suspension).....mind you that was on "normal" roads not over the potholed roads round here!

Falkens get good reviews on this forum and others.....

Having driven on most sizes of wheels and tyres, some with very low profiles, I don't think that ride quality will be your main problem with 19".
If you live in the country with roads you are likely to forced into the verge and then the inevitable pot hole, they will not survive. The rim is only about 2.5" from the road. If you are around town you only need to show them a photo of a kerb and scuffs will appear:crazy:
I know, my wife has had my car for a couple of weeks and the score is kerbs 4, wheels nil!:wallbash:

Having driven on most sizes of wheels and tyres, some with very low profiles, I don't think that ride quality will be your main problem with 19".
If you live in the country with roads you are likely to forced into the verge and then the inevitable pot hole, they will not survive. The rim is only about 2.5" from the road. If you are around town you only need to show them a photo of a kerb and scuffs will appear:crazy:
I know, my wife has had my car for a couple of weeks and the score is kerbs 4, wheels nil!:wallbash:

Agree....country roads are why I have 17" fitted....they seem to be ok...

Thanks guys think i will go for the 18" wheels is it worth lowering as well? if so what springs and where do i get them from approx cost?

cheers in advance

I have driven my 210 on 19's for 2 years and have only 2 minor marks on the wheels, regularly drive up and down country roads and everything...You do have to adopt a different driving style and some passengers think i'm a little extreme.

235/35/19 and 265/30/19 are being used on loads of clk's in the states.

I bolted my 19's which have 275/30/19 tyres on the back. The ride was a LOT harsher on my clk (avantgarde suspension) than on my 210 (which has AMG shocks and springs).

You can pick up brabus springs for your clk relatively cheaply, this lowers your car between 45 and 60mm, dependant on which trim level you now have.

Oh yeah, the brabus springs are about £225 for the complete set...

Thanks v12 hmm I spose get the wheels first Mandrus Regenmeister thats my first choice ,then see how much to lower it by 45-60mm sounds quite a lot are the brabus springs harsh? I have avantgarde trim will that be a sport suspension I wonder, the Eiback pro kit lowers by 30mm seems good value at £140

Last edited:
Good thing about the brabus kit is that the ride is actually pretty good considering the drop!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom