• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

CLK W209 indicator / wiper stalk replacement - reinstalling issues.

Zamm

Car
CLK 320 CDI 2009 + C350 CDI 2010
Hi all,

A problem developed with my wipers whereby they'd sweep once whenever the ignition was turned on, regardless of the stalk position. A process of elimination followed, and I found the wiper stalk at fault.
It's quite a fiddly process, although there are a few useful YouTube guides available.

I hit a complete stumbling block when putting it all back together though - I can't find away to fully secure the cowling assembly. So when the indicator stalk is pushed up or down, it goes beyond the range it should, because cowling moves slightly with it. The problem seems to be the at the top of the column, the flange that the cowling bolts onto rotates maybe 20 degrees in either direction around the centreline. It doesn't feel damaged at all, and you can feel a slight "click" at the centre point. The sliding plastic surround that allows the column to move up and down is too wobbly to make up for this too.
I tried, in vain, bolting the wheel on in the hope that it would somehow bind everything tight, but no difference.

Does anyone know what I'm missing here, it was fine before I stripped it down, no missing fixings, can't see anything broken! I noticed on a video that the column on earlier models looks different at the top, there seems to be another fixing location.

Initial tips for this repair:
- Disconnect battery beforehand...
- Have a gun ready to remove the 10mm hex steering wheel bolt
- My CLK (2009) needed a 6 pin connector stalk, which wasn't actually listed for it - seems that most W209s have a 5 pin connector.

Cheers
Max

Attachments

• Clip.JPG
    Clip.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240330_130614.jpg
    20240330_130614.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
Had similar problem with stalk on CLK, had to replace with new unit.
I believe it's a common problem.
Oh welcome.

Hi there,

Thanks your reply. Are you saying you had problems with your first replacement unit?
My replacement stalk bolted up to the cowling just fine, on the surface it's a perfect match to the old one

I did a combination switch replacement on a friend's W209 a number of years ago. I'm sure I came across the exact same issue you're having.
I posted on here for help, with video. Have a search, it might come up.
If I recall, the advice was to replace the steering column. 😲

The R129’s can suffer from a similar problem. A small screw becomes loose and the collar, bezel rotates and can move forward a little.

Attachments

• IMG_8585.png
    IMG_8585.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Replace steering column?, that is a bit drastic and expensive.
Indie replaced the stalk, and judging by the bill ££ had no problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom