Clk320 conv

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peter65

Car
CLK320 Cabriolet
I have just been to see an X reg CLK320 Conv at a dealers it has 96k on the clock but has no Service History and no manuals either.

I had a good look around it and everything appears to be ok, engine nice and quiet on start up and not searching up and down when warm, all electric gizmos work apart from one main thing, that being the roof. It appears that its seized motors are running windows go down but roof doesn`t budge.

Guy at the garage said he would service the car and repair the problem with the roof give it 12 months MOT and 6 months tax for £5495. Does this sound ok or am I best to walk away, SH doesn`t really bother me as the car appears to be well looked after.

Any advice as this is my first MB.

A car with no service history is best avoided as your first one. There are enough available at a similar price on Autotrader with the history for it not be worth buying.

As to looking good, I once bought an 86 Bentley Turbo R in immaculate condition, 3 careful owners, new engine with only 16000 miles since installation, etc etc. Two services had not been carried out but the dealer assured me that was because the car was laid up etc.
Endless problems with hydraulics, air-con, brakes, windscreen wipers etc etc. The absence of history was a very good clue that it hadn't been properly maintained. Just ain't worth the hassle IMHO.

Last edited:
look for another, take your time and look outside of your local area to find the right one, there will be one there.

In the past decade I've not bought a car that has been within 100miles of my area, not that I haven't looked but anything vaguely interesting you should be prepared to travel for.

It could be very simple with the roof.. If the dealer is non merc did he actually ensure the cover was closed, boot closed etc... Its more than likely something very simple.

The price to me sounds good. If its all ok and they get the roof working reliably then I cant see a problem.

320 COnv

I have done some digging around and got hold of the last owner who still had the history for the car he had just forgotten to hand it in to dealer, garage has also offered a years warranty into the deal.

Make sure that roof works and the history stacks up and if you like it go for it

The arrival of the history certainly helps.

Thanks to everyone I think I will have a go at this deal.

Used to be a big VW fan and I am looking forward to that German build quality and Euro Styling again.

Once again many thanks and all the best.

One word from me-ENJOY :D

I would get the history verified (if done by mb) now you know the previous owner has it also make sure the gearbox fluid/filter have been changed as well as the spark plugs (every 40k).Make sure the hood opens/shuts without any probs,check the insides of all wheel arches,boot lock as these areas can be weak spots for rust,other than that if you are happy with what you are getting for your money go for it they are great cars for the money now(£40k when new).;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom